Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Smoking Ban, Part.........

Smoking Ban, Part.........

Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoking Ban, Part.........

[QUOTE=licinius;9028795] Why should one man who isn't intelligent enough to go to uni, so earns minimum wage in a warehouse, have to fund another man who is going to earn in excess of £100k per year as a barrister?
QUOTE]

I could ask you the same. Why should I have to pay taxes in order to pay for the upkeep of the children of people who have low salaries? Someone earning £100k a year will be paying over £30k in tax, that is more then enough to pay for their own education and also to contribute to the upkeep of the children of some poor wharehouse workers.

I agree that there are too many people going to uni, but that is because over half of uni courses now are in silly subjects that are neither intellectually demanding, nor useful to society or the market place.

If you personally work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week then you and your employer are breaking EU law and you are also being selfish because you are taking away work from someone ele. There should clearly be two people employed to do your job.

Now, life isnt so black and white is it?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman

I could ask you the same. Why should I have to pay taxes in order to pay for the upkeep of the children of people who have low salaries?

You say that you do not live in the UK, therefore your reply is totally irrelevant as you pay no tax there.

From what I see in the British media the majority are content to support students via their taxes.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
You say that you do not live in the UK, therefore your reply is totally irrelevant as you pay no tax there.

From what I see in the British media the majority are content to support students via their taxes.
Yes I do. You dont have to be resident to pay taxes in the UK.

And anyway, since when do you have to do something in order to have an opinion on it? Maybe you should go to university to learn about logical argument and debate, it's very useful in life
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do. You dont have to be resident to pay taxes in the UK.

And anyway, since when do you have to do something in order to have an opinion on it? Maybe you should go to university to learn about logical argument and debate, it's very useful in life
For god´s sake get back on topic.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;9028034]
Originally Posted by licinius
Lots of people today (including myself) regularly work 84 hours a week.

Why shouldn't people invest in their own future? The fees are only paid back once you earn £21k so it doesn't prevent anybody from going to university.

Student numbers are ever increasing & rising fees won't stop people going to uni.

QUOTE]

I dont know anyone who works 84 hours a week, thats 14 hours a day for 6 days a week, there are laws against that!

I am of the opinion that education is a right not a luxury. I went to uni to improve my knowledge of the world, increasing my salary potential was a secondary thing.
Originally Posted by licinius
I regularly work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week so here is one person you know who grafts the stated 84 per week.

You're right on one thing, education is not a luxury, that's why we all go to school until 16. If you CHOOSE however to spend your adult years on a 'jolly' at university rather than earning a keep, then why should I have to fund you? By all means go to uni & study the classics, philiosophy etc but this is your hobby so pay for it yourself.

Most people however go to uni to enhance their earnings potential & I think you'll find those studying science earn very well from their qualifications. Why should one man who isn't intelligent enough to go to uni, so earns minimum wage in a warehouse, have to fund another man who is going to earn in excess of £100k per year as a barrister?

There are too many people going to uni nowadays anyway & the numbers need to be culled. So many graduates are being churned out that they end up working in warehouses & joining the police. This abundance of graduates in my opinion is devaluing university education & forcing wages down.

Anybody with brains nowadays is better off getting a technical trade such as an electrician where in most cases they will earn more than graduates.

I cant speak for any other posters but I would rather my taxes go to raise the living standard of children born to hardworking, low wage earning families, than to someone who thinks that they have the right to be subsidised while frittering away a few years to improve their knowledge, just for their own amusement, and do so in quite a cavalier manner because their earning potential is secondary.

And as licinius says free education is meant to be untill 16
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JLFS;9029272]
And as licinius says free education is meant to be untill 16
And am I the only one a bit bemused at paying kids £30 a week to stay at school after 16? If they want to leave, let them leave, if they want to continue to study, good, but £30 a week. I think the students are protesting because they can see their 3-4 years of booze, sex and no work in danger of disappearing. .
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=agoreira;9029370]
Originally Posted by JLFS

And am I the only one a bit bemused at paying kids £30 a week to stay at school after 16? If they want to leave, let them leave, if they want to continue to study, good, but £30 a week. I think the students are protesting because they can see their 3-4 years of booze, sex and no work in danger of disappearing. .
Life is a bitch
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

I could ask you the same. Why should I have to pay taxes in order to pay for the upkeep of the children of people who have low salaries? Someone earning £100k a year will be paying over £30k in tax, that is more then enough to pay for their own education and also to contribute to the upkeep of the children of some poor wharehouse workers.

If you personally work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week then you and your employer are breaking EU law and you are also being selfish because you are taking away work from someone ele. There should clearly be two people employed to do your job.

Now, life isnt so black and white is it?
Couldn't agree more on supporting those on low salaries. I believe in nature's way & survival of the fitest, rules which have being in place for 1,000's of years until the last century. If you can't afford children don't have them in the first place!

No it's ok, neither me nor my employer breaks any employment laws. The EU working directive doesn't actually set a weekly limit but a monthly average which I don't exceed, so however much I'd love to get an assistant in it won't happen.

Whitelinen I don't live in the UK but pay UK taxes so as cricketman says not everything is black & white.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:50 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to happen Jan 2nd

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-approved.html
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

Excellent news.
I note that the regulations are even tougher than those in most other EU countries, incl. a ban on smoking outside in hospital grounds and other outdoor locations.
Now it will be interesting to see how well the new law is enforced, then Mr Bean can claim some credit for at least one useful measure.

I wonder if he took the Kings advice.
According to the wikileaks article also mentioned in the Telegraph, he consults and listens to the advice of Juan Carlos on all major issues.
I wonder if Liz could have kept our sorry shower of politicians on the straight and narrow had she been given the opporunity ?
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Now it will be interesting to see how well the new law is enforced, then Mr Bean can claim some credit for at least one useful measure.
Don't forget troops out of the Middle east conflict! That makes at least two!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We went into our usual Spanish bar today as part of our shopping trip and were appalled by the smoky state of the place. It’s a large bar with a designated area for non-smokers, but we prefer the larger, happier part, despite the smoke, normally.

I suppose they were making the best of the few remaining days of freedom, but we couldn’t have our usual tapas today, the smoke was too much. Although the Spanish people were happily puffing away I could sense the feeling of sadness. God knows where they’re going next, I doubt if they will all stop smoking on second of January.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that every message board I look at has the smoking debate going on in full force and it is mainly all the drinkers saying that they will be able to enjoy their addiction in peace if the ban comes in to place. Good Luck to them and hope that eventually they will be able to overcome their own addiction. Personally I do not smoke or drink.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 10:15 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
It seems to me that every message board I look at has the smoking debate going on in full force and it is mainly all the drinkers saying that they will be able to enjoy their addiction in peace if the ban comes in to place. Good Luck to them and hope that eventually they will be able to overcome their own addiction. Personally I do not smoke or drink.

Whilst the vast majority of smokers are sadly addicted, it's a fair bet that the majority of drinkers are not.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 11:58 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
I know a couple of people who are addicted to alcohol and if you think that everybody who drinks is addicted you are just wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.