Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Smart" electric meter

"Smart" electric meter

Old Jun 1st 2017, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Smart" electric meter

We live in a rural area. Our contracted power supply is 2.1kw (a little better than our neighbours who have 1.9kw) Twelve years ago, when we first moved in, I asked Iberdrola about increasing the power but they are unable to do so without replacing the "telegraph poles" adding transformers or some such and beefing up the size of the cables - the quote was 18,000€. I quietly forgot about increasing the power.

We had the wiring renewed when we first moved in. I'm not quite sure how it works but I'm pretty sure that the electricians put in an oversized "fuse" on the circuit breaker board. When we put on the oven, the kettle and the washing machine (or whatever) everything slows down/gets dimmer but the circuit breakers don't pop and things keep running.

Even in rural areas Iberdrola is finally getting around to the smart meters. In the explanatory note there is something to say that the new meters have a Power Control Switch which, it says, will trip if the demanded power exceeds the contracted power.

Now 2.1kw is not a lot of power. It may or may not run the kettle, it certainly won't run the oven and even the iron is very close to the limit. Basically, if I'm stuck with 2.1kw we have a big problem.

I'm going to try again with Iberdrola to see if twelve years have made any difference but I wondered if anyone has been in a similiar position. It always helps to have information.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 2:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Smart" electric meter

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
We live in a rural area. Our contracted power supply is 2.1kw (a little better than our neighbours who have 1.9kw) Twelve years ago, when we first moved in, I asked Iberdrola about increasing the power but they are unable to do so without replacing the "telegraph poles" adding transformers or some such and beefing up the size of the cables - the quote was 18,000€. I quietly forgot about increasing the power.

We had the wiring renewed when we first moved in. I'm not quite sure how it works but I'm pretty sure that the electricians put in an oversized "fuse" on the circuit breaker board. When we put on the oven, the kettle and the washing machine (or whatever) everything slows down/gets dimmer but the circuit breakers don't pop and things keep running.

Even in rural areas Iberdrola is finally getting around to the smart meters. In the explanatory note there is something to say that the new meters have a Power Control Switch which, it says, will trip if the demanded power exceeds the contracted power.

Now 2.1kw is not a lot of power. It may or may not run the kettle, it certainly won't run the oven and even the iron is very close to the limit. Basically, if I'm stuck with 2.1kw we have a big problem.

I'm going to try again with Iberdrola to see if twelve years have made any difference but I wondered if anyone has been in a similiar position. It always helps to have information.

It's my understanding that EVERYONE now has the right to 5.75kW - they can't refuse the request.

However, whether they will pay for this 'upgrade' is another matter.

In your situation, I would certainly look into it again as I can't see how you can possibly survive on such low potencia. I thought 3.3 was the lowest so I'm amazed that they do lower tariffs. When you had your rewiring done, did you get the necessary boletin (that is, was the work done by a qualified and licenced electrician). If you don't have this, then they may refuse your request for more potencia.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's my understanding that EVERYONE now has the right to 5.75kW - they can't refuse the request.

However, whether they will pay for this 'upgrade' is another matter.

In your situation, I would certainly look into it again as I can't see how you can possibly survive on such low potencia. I thought 3.3 was the lowest so I'm amazed that they do lower tariffs. When you had your rewiring done, did you get the necessary boletin (that is, was the work done by a qualified and licenced electrician). If you don't have this, then they may refuse your request for more potencia.
There's no problem with the paperwork - thankfully.

I think you're correct about the right to 5.75kw (I actually thought it was 5.5kw) but it's a right that seems to have to be paid for.

There was quite a set to a few years ago when a bodega in our village wanted more power. The story goes that Iberdrola wanted to charge a fortune so the bodega owner bought a second hand transformer and got some private firm to install it. Once it was in Iberdrola asked if they could use the transformer too.

As I say I do not understand the ins and outs of power supply so if the story makes no sense I apologise.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Our local (Playa San Juan, Alicante) Iberdrola office is extremely friendly and helpful (recently gave me a discount for having 2 contracts) so suggest you visit your local Iberdrola office and explain the situation and see if they can help. You never know!