Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SKY viewing cards

SKY viewing cards

Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SKY viewing cards

I can only go by what they advertise on the customer service channel. It says something like ' leave the box switched on for 24 hours before inserting the new card, press Back Up, wait a while (?) and then the new card is accepted. Can't imagine that there would be a global 'cut-off' date - logistically that would be a nightmare.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
I can only go by what they advertise on the customer service channel. It says something like ' leave the box switched on for 24 hours before inserting the new card, press Back Up, wait a while (?) and then the new card is accepted. Can't imagine that there would be a global 'cut-off' date - logistically that would be a nightmare.
Not sure about everyone but my box I think like many others switches itself to standby after just a few hours if the controller is not being used.
Maybe they will deactivate this procedure when the new cards are to be installed.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:02 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Not sure about everyone but my box I think like many others switches itself to standby after just a few hours if the controller is not being used.
Maybe they will deactivate this procedure when the new cards are to be installed.
makes no difference...your sky box still receives the signals from the last channel it was on even when it is in standby mode!!!

infact the autostandby feature saves very little power...

Can't imagine that there would be a global 'cut-off' date - logistically that would be a nightmare.
as soon as your new cards has been activated correctly your old card stops accepting the signals and is effectly deactivated.
accoridng to reports you have about 4 weeks from the time that your start to get your on screen message to when your new newrd will no self activate correctly.
also they can quite happily kill all cards in many ways...
they can either send a signal to all cards via the satellite...just like they do if you have not paid on time.
or they can render the old blue cards useless by swicthing off the version 2 encryption, that he blue cards recognised, and fully transfering to the verion 3 encryption that the new cards recognise.
the 24 hours is just to ensure that the process goes smoothly..as in fact you should always have your card in the correct sky box at all times!

Last edited by The Guy; Jun 16th 2009 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: SKY viewing cards

Just waiting for them to incorporate some sat locater device so they can pinpoint the exact location of every single box.

Then we'll all be up sh*t creek without a paddle......
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

...the BBC are not the only channel SKY provide.
Sky does not provide BBC or ITV, Astra does. The only thing Sky provides is the listing in the EPG.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks - I was told about an hour ago that I will lose all of ITV and Channel 5 programmes if I do not buy a new card.
I didn't mention it, but without a viewing card you will need to add C5 manually in 'add channels' and view it through 'other channels'.

Also, you currently won't be able to receive Fiver or Five US.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:18 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
I didn't mention it, but without a viewing card you will need to add C5 manually in 'add channels' and view it through 'other channels'.
but it is on the same frequency as bbc2 so reception will be as per bbc2.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:20 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You can easily disable the 'Standby' mode as follows

Press ‘services’ button
Press 5 AUTO STANDBY
To switch between off/on use right arrow on remote,
When it reads on or off as required
Use down arrow to go to save settings,
Press ‘SELECT’

The option is now changed, you can change this option back at any time.