Sky Question

Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice
Default Sky Question

For the more technically minded out there.

We have recently taken out a Sky subscription through our parents UK address and are now in receipt of a shiny new sky + box. This has been plugged in and works fine. So far so good.

The old freesat box has gone into the bedroom and also works fine. Still everything rosy.

However, the 2nd connection from the LNB, the one that allows us to record something other than we are watching, reads no satellite signal even though the box is working fine. I have tested both cables on port 1 and both work fine.

Any ideas
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sky Question

Hi, Have you took out the right subscription with sky to allow recording and rang them to marry the viewing card up to the box, If so have you tried just connecting your sky plus box with the lnb. if still not good there may be a fault with the box itself, sorry if this is of no help.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Subscription is correct and the card and box were set up by the Sky man in the UK prior to it being brought out to Spain. My Parents only had it set up with one cable, so there may be a problem with the box, but it was a new install by Sky.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear that, Seems strange that the sky fitter would only install a sky+ box with one cable, surely he would have to have his docket signed as fully operative. Ariel connections are a fault i have had problems with in the past. Also have you performed a full refresh on the box after re connecting.

Last edited by maltaman; Dec 18th 2011 at 7:18 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to use a Sky+ box and a Freesat box you will need three cables from the dish.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:35 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a Sky+ box or a Sky+HD box? There is a difference and that is an important difference.

If it is a Sky+HD box then these have a setting that tells the box to use only one cable - input 1. If this "single feed mode" has been activated, then no signal will be used on input 2. And with this activated your recording functions will be limited. AS it is a new install by Sky, and was set up for one cable only, then I dare say this is the problem.

To turn "single feed mode" off, on the remote press services, 0, 0, 1, select, to go to the installer set up menu, and the option is at the bottom of the screen, turn it off, save, and the box reboots, and then both feeds will be working.

If you have a Sky+ box, then no idea. Sky+ boxes do not have the single feed mode that Sky+HD boxes have. However, some Sky+ boxes only show a signal on that test screen if the input 2 is actually being used.

Although I doubt that a recent "new install" from Sky in the UK would have given you a Sky+ box, more a Sky+HD box. So I dare say you mean you have a "shiny new sky+HD box", and not "a shiny new sky + box".

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 18th 2011 at 8:46 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for the late reply, was being blown away by Professor Brian Cox.

It is indeed a shiny new Sky + HD box and it is indeed set to single feed. Will try what you suggest. Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sky Question

Again I stand in awe of the GUY.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Again I stand in awe of the GUY.
As do I, works fine now. Huge thanks.

I knew that this forum was the right place to post my query. Thanks all who contributed
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:32 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to help and happy its all working.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:07 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guy,

Following on from what you said earlier. If I had a SKY+HD box with single feed, what would the recording limitations be?

Thanks

PS. Can you please PM me on your price for a new, slim line, SKY+HD box
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:40 am

You would lose the ability to watch one channel and record another at the same time.

But with so many "+1" channels and channels like ITV2 repeating ITV1 programmes 20 times during the week, this can be overcome.