Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky Minidish in Spain

Sky Minidish in Spain

Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

daveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant future
Default Sky Minidish in Spain

Does anyone know if a Sky Minidish or Mesh Dish will work in Javea Spain?
What is the difference between a large solid satellite dish,and a smaller minidish or mesh one.
Can they perform just as well if you get the right one?
Roughly how much do they cost?
Kind Regards
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:35 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sky Minidish in Spain

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
What is the difference between a large solid satellite dish,and a smaller minidish or mesh one.
Kind Regards
As far as I am aware you require a minimum 1.5 metre solid dish in order to pick up SKY channels here in Spain.

Your looking at É400 for a brand new top of the line 1.5m, they are made in Italy.

Some channels are difficult to pick up - Channel5, ITV1, any of the +1 channels and a few more.
This is not always due to your dish, even with a top of the line dish, you require a modern, half decent reciever box in order to pick up the best signals.

Last edited by BritBull; Dec 8th 2005 at 5:38 am.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

A Sky Minidish will not work in Javea at least for picking up most, if any, of the UK channels broadcast on the Astra 2D sat.

http://www.mlesat.com/antennas.html explains the differences in dishes far better than I could.

Some parts of Spain are on the Astra 2D "lobe" so even a 80CM Dish may get all the main channels.

Javea is not and whilst I have seen reports of a 1.2M dish working there I have seen a lot more reporting even a 1.8M or 1.9M dish will not get the BBC and ITV channels and a 2.4M dish is needed.

I doubt a 2.4M dish can be bought for much less than 500 Euro.

Best

Loco

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
Kind Regards
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

As Loco said, you'll need a 2.4m dish to get what you get with Sky in the UK including BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

Even with a 2.4m dish you may have problems viewing a particular channel or two 24 hours a day.

Lots of things can influence this from your equipment, dish alignment, location, weather etc.