Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky - Or is it?

Sky - Or is it?

Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sky - Or is it?

I have been paying 43 GBP for sky subscription obviously not to Sky themselves but today I checked my UK bank account and an amount of 150 euros has been taken by BSKYB as a digital admin fee I have also had to pay an extra 1GBP for the privilege of having it converted into pounds. Is this really the genuine Sky who have found me!! Can´t do anything about it as it is the weekend now. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?
Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky - Or is it?

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I have been paying 43 GBP for sky subscription obviously not to Sky themselves but today I checked my UK bank account and an amount of 150 euros has been taken by BSKYB as a digital admin fee I have also had to pay an extra 1GBP for the privilege of having it converted into pounds. Is this really the genuine Sky who have found me!! Can´t do anything about it as it is the weekend now. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?
I would contact the company that installed it for you - were they the ones that set up the DD from your Uk bank account ? thats what I did when I had mine done, if I want pay per view or anything I have to call the sky company here and NEVER sky in England - gonna check my bank account now
Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:47 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the easiest was to pay about three months ahead and give credit card deatils direct to Sky - they couldn't care less where the card comes from neither do they need an address.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If it was the real Sky they would just block your card, as it is illegal to receive Sky outside the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If it was the real Sky they would just block your card, as it is illegal to receive Sky outside the UK.
my DD is paid direct to sky but with someone elses name and address
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
I thought the easiest was to pay about three months ahead and give credit card deatils direct to Sky - they couldn't care less where the card comes from neither do they need an address.
Surely Sky in Britain would want an address. My installer is coming back to me tomorrow but a friend has found another web site for "sky installations" which says that they make an annual deduction of 160 euros for "maintenance". What maintenance. As the money has already left my bank account I can´t even cancel to get the money back as I will lose the 400 odd euros to get it installed in the first place. I just don´t like the idea that you agree a monthly amount and then they can just put their hand into your bank account and take a lump sum in addition.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:17 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Surely Sky in Britain would want an address. My installer is coming back to me tomorrow but a friend has found another web site for "sky installations" which says that they make an annual deduction of 160 euros for "maintenance". What maintenance. As the money has already left my bank account I can´t even cancel to get the money back as I will lose the 400 odd euros to get it installed in the first place. I just don´t like the idea that you agree a monthly amount and then they can just put their hand into your bank account and take a lump sum in addition.
you give an english address (usually that of an amenable family member)

that is what you 'sky installer' will have done
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ask him wtf the extra has been taken for ?
If they stop that every year its going to be expensive Sky, I promise I won`t say Sky high or Skyway robbery.
Denounce him for supplying an illegal service unless you get your money back...
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:16 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

When money is taken automatically from your account in this way you CAN get it back. Your bank must have sent you a little "recibo" with details of the transacion. Somewhere on the recibo will be a date - usually about one month from the date of the transaction. You have until this date to take the recibo to your bank and they will refund you the money free of charge.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

I have been paying 43 GBP for sky subscription ......
I have had a sky sat at my apartment for about a year now and all I pay to sky is the monthly charge, now on saying this I used my UK credit card for the payment although I can't see that making a difference?

Get in touch with the people who installed the system and find out what's going on.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spaino
I have had a sky sat at my apartment for about a year now and all I pay to sky is the monthly charge, now on saying this I used my UK credit card for the payment although I can't see that making a difference?

Get in touch with the people who installed the system and find out what's going on.
It is normal for the Installer(Spain) to charge a setup fee, usually about 150€ paid in cash. Then Sky debit from your card/account monthly thereafter until you stop it,
Sky will not authorise a viewing card that is known to be outside the UK.
Sky will take UK bank acounts and credit cards from any country (NB but not debit cards!!).
If you have given the card details to an installer, he is probably the one hooking the extra cash out, unlikely to be SKY.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
It is normal for the Installer(Spain) to charge a setup fee, usually about 150€ paid in cash. Then Sky debit from your card/account monthly thereafter until you stop it,
Sky will not authorise a viewing card that is known to be outside the UK.
Sky will take UK bank acounts and credit cards from any country (NB but not debit cards!!).
If you have given the card details to an installer, he is probably the one hooking the extra cash out, unlikely to be SKY.
I paid something like 600 euros for the system (decoder and dish) and the installation, they set up the card which takes about 24 hours to do and sky direct debit a fee every month, mine is for the basic channels so I only pay around 21 quid a month. This 600 euro charge is about the norm here in spain, there are more expensive, where you would get a bigger dish or where some installers are maybe just trying to get their arm in. I have had no problems with quality or the signal except when it rains heavy and no 150 extra charges.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have been in contact with my supplier who has been in contact with the chap who supplies the cards. Apparently this is a new thing and they will refund the 150 euros but they will then cut us off. So in other words we can take what we want from your bank account and if u don´t like it you are stuffed.