Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Skimming Plasterboard.

Wikiposts

Skimming Plasterboard.

Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Hothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura about
Default Skimming Plasterboard.

Ladies and Gents,

Can anyone suggest a suitable equivalent to Thistle Multifinish that I can source here in Spain? I´m looking to get an even finish to the room but Yesos Gris / Blanco are not going to do. Any help appreciated as Luis the Plasterer is starting to get annoyed with me.

Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skimming Plasterboard.

Originally Posted by Hothereinnit
Ladies and Gents,

Can anyone suggest a suitable equivalent to Thistle Multifinish that I can source here in Spain? I´m looking to get an even finish to the room but Yesos Gris / Blanco are not going to do. Any help appreciated as Luis the Plasterer is starting to get annoyed with me.

Thanks.
Why won't yesos do? Our builders used it and it was great.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Hothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura about

The plasterer claims the moisture content is too high and will damage the drywall board, it needs approximately a 2-3mm skim on the surface, purely to hide screwheads, joints and leave it smooth for painting.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The plasterer claims the moisture content is too high and will damage the drywall board, it needs approximately a 2-3mm skim on the surface, purely to hide screwheads, joints and leave it smooth for painting.
Hmmmmm - not so sure. I was told different!

Not sure where you are but there is a place in Crevallent (sp?) which sells Thistle products straight from UK.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest going to the place that supplied the plasterboard and asking them what is best to use? Certainly Yeso blanco can be mixed fine enough to cover.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems with plastering / skimming is if you give the plasterer a material is is not used to using he can have problems
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Down on the CDS there is an English Builders merchants called AIM or something like that. Advertises in the local rags every week, with multifinish which is the way we would skim up in the Uk

Regards
Al
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Why skim the entire surface when you are dry lining ? Tape up the joints and skim them with "Pasta de juntas", face fill each of the screws whose heads should be SLIGHTLY sunk into the board. Lightly sand the joints and filled holes. Repeating this process a second time will adjust for the inevitable shrinkage as the large joints dry and should leave you with a perfectly smooth finish to paint without the need to skim the entire surface

Plenty of different makes available.Should cost you about 20 euros for a 25 kg bag.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
Why skim the entire surface when you are dry lining ?
Because it's a better finish.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

I agree with johnnyone, the finished board has an even surface when looked at from different angles and light. This is a point where there are two schools of thought, there are certain applications such as Shopfitting for example where ames taping and sanding are more than adequate but this is a bedroom and is potentially the start of more work to follow so I want the finish to be as good as possible.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

depends how well it is done...I defy you to pop by my place and spot the joins or screw holes

If you really want multifinish, head to Gibraltar, they've got plenty of it there
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Why would I head to Gibraltar? The finish on any piece of work depends on how well it has been done, you´re quite right. I have no doubt I would spend a considerable time searching fruitlessly for signs of screwheads or joints in your home and therefore must decline your offer.
Thank-you to all who have replied to my initial question.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:10 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Is your plasterer Spanish? If so he might not have much knowledge of working with plasterboard - they don't seem to use it much - not around here anyway.

He should have knowledge of escayola though which is much more like Multifinish than yeso.

I find yeso almost impossible to work with.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Why would I head to Gibraltar?

It's where I would go...but then again it's only a 20 minute journey for me.You didn't mention where in Spain and someone earlier suggested a trip to a builder's merchant on the CDS. I would imagine, like tea bags and brown sauce, it will be cheaper in Gib
Old Jun 9th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

any of these any good to you....

http://www.placo.es/productos/yesose...cir/index.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.