Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Skiing in sierra nevada

Skiing in sierra nevada

Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skiing in sierra nevada

Can anyone out there tell me how much lift passes and ski and boot hire will cost as my family of four are going skiing there end of Feb 3adults 1 child.
Oh and got any ideas of good places to stay ?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skiing in sierra nevada

Come on guys doesn't anybody ski in Spain ??
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by teejay66
Come on guys doesn't anybody ski in Spain ??
http://www.sierranevadaski.com/

PS. Don’t be impatient; this is Spain, famous for mañana.

Regards shoo
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoo
http://www.sierranevadaski.com/

PS. Don’t be impatient; this is Spain, famous for mañana.

Regards shoo
Ok shoo fare comment my friend
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok shoo fare comment my friend
Ok thats enough manjana!!!
Doesn't anybody ski in spain ????
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

mka2 is an unknown quantity at this point

37 euros a day, im going next wednesday for the day.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:26 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Try this site too: http://www.cetursa.es/

Regards

Mark
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM
Try this site too: http://www.cetursa.es/

Regards

Mark
Thanks will give site a go
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mka2
37 euros a day, im going next wednesday for the day.
Have you been skiing there b4 ?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Have you been skiing there b4 ?

no i haven't. but my girlfriend and aboput 6 of my work mates went 2 weeks ago and had a great time, so this time now that im not working i am going with them as i love skiing.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mka2
no i haven't. but my girlfriend and aboput 6 of my work mates went 2 weeks ago and had a great time, so this time now that im not working i am going with them as i love skiing.
Yeah nice one mate ! thanks we go in about 3 weeks , normally go to mayrhofen in Austria so it'll be different for sure !
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

well having been there for the day now i can give you guys a load more info on everything.

the daily ski pass is €37 at the weekend and €34 during the week per day. although intially in the week you have to pay the €37 but then at the end of the day there are some atm type machines you put the ski pass into and it gives you €3 back.

ski and boot hire at the place we went to was €22 for the day and just ski hire is €16 for the day.

parking for the day is about €12/13

it took us just over 3 hours to get there from San Roque/Gibraltar leavining at 6am.

i would definatly recommend going mid week as its resonably empty and you dont have to wait more than 2/3 minutes for chair lifts and other lifts.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:01 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Great info. mka2 - just one question - the roads - are there problems with getting to the resort - would you need special tyres or snow chains or are roads cleared and safe - do you have to get bused into the resort or you can drive straight into the resort.

Thanks again for information - brilliant.

One more thing - the ski/boot hire sounds expensive or is it just me?

Mark
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GCM
Great info. mka2 - just one question - the roads - are there problems with getting to the resort - would you need special tyres or snow chains or are roads cleared and safe - do you have to get bused into the resort or you can drive straight into the resort.

Thanks again for information - brilliant.

One more thing - the ski/boot hire sounds expensive or is it just me?

Mark
the roads when we went were fine as it was blazing sun and hadnt snowed just before we went. but if it suddenly snow's heavily you would need possibly need sno chains. the roads did look well maintained and kept clear and safe.

we parked in the resort in an undergorund car park that you walk out of into the main shop/ski hire area by the cable car.

the ski/boot hire price is normal. if your planning on skiing most years its worth getting some ski boots in the sale at 50% off as the hire ones arent always to comfy.

Matt
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:14 am
GCM
Forum Regular

Having started this thread I can finally give my own report on skiing in Spain – at Sierra Nevada near Granada right in the south of Spain near the Costa del Sol.

The drive down from Javea (Costa Blanca) took 5 hours. Do arrive as early as you can as the drive up the mountain is stop/start (well it was Sunday) despite the road being very easy to drive with no snow.

It is strange because all the way up there was no snow and it is only when you get right to the top that suddenly you see the mountain opposite covered in white.

Parking is easy as you go straight into an underground car park (approx 13 euros per day) and you can emerge directly up into the resort.

The resort is modern, not attractive but not ugly. The bit where the lifts are is free of cars and nicely done with lots of cafes, restaurants, ski hire shops (16 euros per day for skis only).

Ski pass on weekends is 37 euros – you pay 40 euros and at the end of the day you put your pass into a machine and it refunds you 3 euros.

Even on a Sunday queues were acceptable and it was a fantastic sunny day. There are plenty of runs – 70km approx. which is loads. The only thing is that the skiing is in a big bowl – there are no trees so it’s not the most scenic place to go but if you like your skiing you have to appreciate how lucky we are as you could ski in the morning and sunbathe on the beach in the afternoon – not many places can offer that.

The drive out at the end of the day was horrendous – it took ages, mostly in 1st gear, I would leave about 4-4.30 next time (if on a weekend) and just start earlier.

There are plenty of ski schools with private lessons about 30 euros an hour.

Go there!

Mark