Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Skiing in Granada (Sierra Nevada)

Skiing in Granada (Sierra Nevada)

Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:06 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skiing in Granada (Sierra Nevada)

As keen skiers we´ve decided it´s about time we checked out the Sierra Nevada.

Before we went I was just wondering if anyone has been there and what do you think? We are also looking for a good hotel recommendation. I saw a couple on the web that looked really charming - El Lodge, and Maribel - they are ski in/ski out, but are set a little way out of the village so getting back from the bars at night could be a bit complicated!!

Anyone know a good (min 3 star) hotel in the town itself? We tend to prefer hotels with "mountain charm" rather than clinical chain hotels.

What about good quality restaurants/bars that we simply shouldn´t miss whilst there? (We can be quite snobby about our food and like to push the boat out a bit whilst on holiday.)

And the apres ski activities? Apart from bars, etc what else can we get up to? (Apart from the obvious of course!!)
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skiing in Granada (Sierra Nevada)

Keith, check out the snow first
This is a pic 22-1-05, only machine snow, but a few weeks later it was well covered.
Attached Thumbnails Skiing in Granada (Sierra Nevada)-22-1-05.jpg  
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
As keen skiers we´ve decided it´s about time we checked out the Sierra Nevada.

Before we went I was just wondering if anyone has been there and what do you think? We are also looking for a good hotel recommendation. I saw a couple on the web that looked really charming - El Lodge, and Maribel - they are ski in/ski out, but are set a little way out of the village so getting back from the bars at night could be a bit complicated!!

Anyone know a good (min 3 star) hotel in the town itself? We tend to prefer hotels with "mountain charm" rather than clinical chain hotels.

What about good quality restaurants/bars that we simply shouldn´t miss whilst there? (We can be quite snobby about our food and like to push the boat out a bit whilst on holiday.)

And the apres ski activities? Apart from bars, etc what else can we get up to? (Apart from the obvious of course!!)
HI,
We can not wait to go to the sierra nevada as well, as we have heard some fab reviews about it from friends and how pretty it is.

I am looking for a good zoo if they have any, as it will be my daughters 5th birthday just after we arrive. Has anyone been to the monkeys in gib if so is it any good?
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Three links that may be helpful....

http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient...Intl&beta=main no snow at the moment

http://www.skisnowboardeurope.com/si...ada/index.html

http://www.andalucia.com/fuengirola/zoo.htm

Last edited by jdr; Dec 31st 2006 at 9:52 am.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:58 am
Just Joined

northsammi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
HI,
We can not wait to go to the sierra nevada as well, as we have heard some fab reviews about it from friends and how pretty it is.

I am looking for a good zoo if they have any, as it will be my daughters 5th birthday just after we arrive. Has anyone been to the monkeys in gib if so is it any good?
the apes in gib would be fine for your 5 year old, go careful though people have started to feed them so they may jump on her (or yourself). best to go on a taxi trip all the tickets are included in the price. if you go by cable car it is a long walk from the cable car to anything.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks for that jdr
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northsammi
the apes in gib would be fine for your 5 year old, go careful though people have started to feed them so they may jump on her (or yourself). best to go on a taxi trip all the tickets are included in the price. if you go by cable car it is a long walk from the cable car to anything.
Hi,
I remember when i was 6 and my parents took me to the zoo, and then they just had cages and i stood really close and this one monkey grabbed my coat and would not let go. I was terrified and crying. but this monkey would not let go my mum and dad were freaking out. But ever since that every time i go to a zoo these monkeys follow me in there cages it is really quite freaky.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

We went to Fuengirola Zoo in Summer my five year old loved it, hard to find though it is right in the centre best to park and walk to it.

Helen
Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:37 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links. I´ve already done quite a lot of web research. The www.sierranevadaski.com web is really good and lists local hotels etc but of course in their write ups they make them all sound fantastic because they are trying to get you to reserve.

Has nobody actually been skiiing there? I was hoping for a few personal recommendations.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Thanks for the links. I´ve already done quite a lot of web research. The www.sierranevadaski.com web is really good and lists local hotels etc but of course in their write ups they make them all sound fantastic because they are trying to get you to reserve.

Has nobody actually been skiiing there? I was hoping for a few personal recommendations.
If you search the forum there is some info from people who have been last Jan.

Helen
Old Dec 31st 2006, 5:49 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by helenp
If you search the forum there is some info from people who have been last Jan.

Helen
I did a search on "Sierra Nevada" but unfortunately there weren´t many hits. Nothing along the lines of hotel recommendations or things to do whilst I am there.

I can´t believe that so few people have been there!
Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

I did a search on "Sierra Nevada" but unfortunately there weren´t many hits. Nothing along the lines of hotel recommendations or things to do whilst I am there.

I think it is quite an up and coming ski resort this site has some Hotels in Monachil looks quite close to resort www.toprural.com

Helen
Old Jan 4th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Keith,

I am goimng to Sierra Nevada in two weeks, for the first time. I have managed to get booked in to the Hotel Ziryab, which was recommended to me by friends that have been going there for years. The hotel Ziryab can be contacted on 958 480 512 and their website is http://www.hotelziryab.com/ing/

It tok me a long time searching through hotels and apartments, until I managed to get booked into this one

Cheers

Gadget
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:13 am
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by Gadget
Hi Keith,

I am goimng to Sierra Nevada in two weeks, for the first time. I have managed to get booked in to the Hotel Ziryab, which was recommended to me by friends that have been going there for years. The hotel Ziryab can be contacted on 958 480 512 and their website is http://www.hotelziryab.com/ing/

It tok me a long time searching through hotels and apartments, until I managed to get booked into this one

Cheers

Gadget
Thanks Gadget.

I contacted this hotel as part of my research, but was put off because they said they wouldn´t be able to guarantee me a double room, and a romantic weekend in the mountains doesn´t entail sleeping in separate beds!

Have they guaranteed your type of room? When you say you spent a long time searching thro hotels until you managed to get booked into this one - why was that? Because they were all fully booked? or because they weren´t right for some reason or other?

Keith
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gadget.

I contacted this hotel as part of my research, but was put off because they said they wouldn´t be able to guarantee me a double room, and a romantic weekend in the mountains doesn´t entail sleeping in separate beds!

Have they guaranteed your type of room? When you say you spent a long time searching thro hotels until you managed to get booked into this one - why was that? Because they were all fully booked? or because they weren´t right for some reason or other?

Keith
Hi Keith,

when I first contacted them, they only had one room avaiable for my dates and we are meeting my brother and sister, that wasn't good enough. I have had to change my dates to go for 6 nights instead of 7, but just glad to get this hotel. Not bothered whether I end up in twin or double, 'cos I intend to be too knackered after a day of skiing

Good luck in your search, when I last checked the Melia Sierra Nevada had rooms available - 958 480 400

Cheers

Gadget

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.