Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Six years too late?

Six years too late?

Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:57 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Six years too late?

Hi everyone. I don't think I ever did formally introduce myself... so a few years later... I thought I would do so.

I am Elle and live with hubby & three dogs in a tiny hamlet in Almeria in SE Spain. We only moved here in September, but we were in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote (Canary islands) for 6 years before that.

I am addicted to t'internet... and I don't remember the last day I didn't log on. I do work with it as well... but am not going into a sales pitch or "Da Management" will be on me faster than a fast thing in fast week

Anyway - am always happy to meet new people, and would particularly be interested in jabbering to others in Almeria.

I have been a very bad forum member... and haven't popped in for ages. Must do better!

Hablo pronto.

Elle xx
Attached Thumbnails Six years too late?-elle-y-alan-la-bocaina-sept-2012.jpg  

Last edited by Elle1971; Jan 7th 2013 at 11:10 am. Reason: Msg relocated so reflected change of message board. Also spotted typos - oops!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years too late?

Welcome back.

The Welcome Inn is for new members to introduce themselves to BE. As you have been a member for a number of years I have moved your thread over to the Spain forums. The WI wasn't around when you joined BE...the new forum was opened about 3 years ago. Anyway...nice to see you back again.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:09 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Aha! That's why I missed it back at the start. Thanks for moving it.

I shall edit my first paaragraph to reflect the change.

Much appreciated.

Elle xx
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Elle1971, nice to meet you!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:55 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Are those drinks coolers I see behind you? They look well stocked. Next time we're up your way...
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:58 am
No es moco de pavo

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Hola Elle1971, nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too - love your username! xxxx
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:00 pm
No es moco de pavo

Originally Posted by jimenato
Are those drinks coolers I see behind you? They look well stocked. Next time we're up your way...
Ha ha - well spotted! Yes, they are very well stocked wine coolers. However, they are in our favourite restaurant in Lanzarote... La Bocaina (and not in our home)... it was our final meal at the place before we hit the mainland.

Mind you... we're always well stocked with vino at our place too

Elle xx
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi Elle,
Welcome. I know you from the other forum.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:24 pm
No es moco de pavo

Originally Posted by lmj50
Hi Elle,
Welcome. I know you from the other forum.
The busy blue one that is local to where we live? Hello!

Elle xx
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

julie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant future

Hello Elle
I have lived in the Almeria region for the past 7 years and apart from having difficulty understanding the Andalucian accent, I love it!!!! Although we live on the coast we are only a 40 minute drive to the centre of Almeria perfect for a spot of retail therapy and city life!!!

Whilst I am sure you must be missing the sunny weather in the Canaries, the weather here has been lovely so far for January, so I hope you are enjoying the sun.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie22
Hello Elle
I have lived in the Almeria region for the past 7 years and apart from having difficulty understanding the Andalucian accent, I love it!!!! Although we live on the coast we are only a 40 minute drive to the centre of Almeria perfect for a spot of retail therapy and city life!!!

Whilst I am sure you must be missing the sunny weather in the Canaries, the weather here has been lovely so far for January, so I hope you are enjoying the sun.
Tell me about it.

the other day in a local bar was discussing with the owner that I had been picked up 3 times by 3 different people for saying 20 incorrectly.
Each one of them said it differently
He nodded sagely and said they were all right.

And they tell me it is so hard to learn English
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

julie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Domino
Tell me about it.

the other day in a local bar was discussing with the owner that I had been picked up 3 times by 3 different people for saying 20 incorrectly.
Each one of them said it differently
He nodded sagely and said they were all right.

And they tell me it is so hard to learn English
Well you certainly have more luck than me Domino, I have to say that in 7 years I have never had the good fortune of being picked up 3 times by 3 different people
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Well you certainly have more luck than me Domino, I have to say that in 7 years I have never had the good fortune of being picked up 3 times by 3 different people
perhaps my legs are better than yours

The most annoying was the woman in the tobaca who when i wanted to add €20 to my bus card and said Vuntay looked at me as if I was a reptile and looking down at the note in my had preplied replied Buntay ?. so the next time I said it Buntay and she said Vuntay.

GGGGRRRRHHHH

Last edited by Domino; Jan 7th 2013 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:07 pm
No es moco de pavo

Hello Elle

Hi Julie. Yes, definitely missing the weather (and friends and family of course) but it really is lovely here, yes! 17 degrees out on the terrace a few minutes ago. The houses are seriously cold though - much much colder than Lanzarote. Glad we have a logburner... although we haven't needed to light it since Christmas Day. I'm looking forward to how hot it gets in the summer - I really am a heatlover.

I'm a little north of Albox, so a bit further inland than you are. I still haven't got to the coast... but am sure a visit to Mojacar or Roquetas is on the cards soon.

Oh God - the accent is hard work! Apparently what Spanish I did speak was with a Canarian accent... and now this is different again. Our 80 year old neighbour is unintelligable... although I'm fine is shops and with younger folk. Surprised at how many locals speak a bit of English though (considering this is not a tourist area) - I was also recently told the Guardia Civil now have to learn English as part of their training as there are so many of us here.

Hi Domino - I feel your pain! I haven't ordered "medio kilo de polla" here yet thankfully - did that more than once in Lanzarote... always causes a laugh... at my expense!

Elle xx
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Elle1971
Hi Julie. Yes, definitely missing the weather (and friends and family of course) but it really is lovely here, yes! 17 degrees out on the terrace a few minutes ago. The houses are seriously cold though - much much colder than Lanzarote. Glad we have a logburner... although we haven't needed to light it since Christmas Day. I'm looking forward to how hot it gets in the summer - I really am a heatlover.

I'm a little north of Albox, so a bit further inland than you are. I still haven't got to the coast... but am sure a visit to Mojacar or Roquetas is on the cards soon.

Oh God - the accent is hard work! Apparently what Spanish I did speak was with a Canarian accent... and now this is different again. Our 80 year old neighbour is unintelligable... although I'm fine is shops and with younger folk. Surprised at how many locals speak a bit of English though (considering this is not a tourist area) - I was also recently told the Guardia Civil now have to learn English as part of their training as there are so many of us here.

Hi Domino - I feel your pain! I haven't ordered "medio kilo de polla" here yet thankfully - did that more than once in Lanzarote... always causes a laugh... at my expense!

Elle xx
I did get confused when wanting to buy a guy a drink and used bebe instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.