six months on

Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default six months on

Hi to all,

Well not been on here for over six months, moved over in February and could write a book on our adventure. Have not had proper access at home to internet only via my pda and laptop 'Muy carro'. we have had track phone from telefonica a while and it works fine even using cheep call codes, impossible to connect to internet via there dial up, although first attemp via laptop and pc worked fine, that was the first and last succesful attempt. Telefonicas answer upgrading digital lines. So now we have a vodafone USB modem, Ok with onspeed in the campo and 3g broadband on laptop in town.

Our adventure continues we have just completed our first renovation and thats for sale, we have harvested our melons, almonds and eating olives, all under the watchful eye of our elderly spanish neighbour.

We have had strange weather here as most of Spain has this year, we missed the rains in april got 44 in July and a cooler August, october bringing plenty of storms.

Hope everybody who we have chatted to in the past has realised their dreams. Best wishes to all Paul and Lesley
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: six months on

Good to hear that all is going .... wellish
Sounds like you've been quite busy!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

well mitzy, you know how it is, one step forward two back to start. But getting into the Spanish flow now
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:13 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Wow! good for you, sounds like you really are gtting into the spanish way. And although you have had a few hiccups you were not complaining, I am sure you have but nice to hear that you are settling in and getting on with life, good for you.
Luv Eve
xx
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Hi to all,
Our adventure continues we have just completed our first renovation and thats for sale, we have harvested our melons, almonds and eating olives, all under the watchful eye of our elderly spanish neighbour.
Was this your first time at growing the likes of almonds and olives and how did you find it? Is a lot of work involved year to year?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Karmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant future

Hi to all,

Well not been on here for over six months, moved over in February and could write a book on our adventure. Have not had proper access at home to internet only via my pda and laptop 'Muy carro'. we have had track phone from telefonica a while and it works fine even using cheep call codes, impossible to connect to internet via there dial up, although first attemp via laptop and pc worked fine, that was the first and last succesful attempt. Telefonicas answer upgrading digital lines. So now we have a vodafone USB modem, Ok with onspeed in the campo and 3g broadband on laptop in town.

We have had strange weather here as most of Spain has this year, we missed the rains in april got 44 in July and a cooler August, october bringing plenty of storms.

Hope everybody who we have chatted to in the past has realised their dreams. Best wishes to all Paul and Lesley
What took you to Murcia then, hope your not too close to Camposol!!!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, Joe we already had Almonds, Olives etc on our land and we have not harvested for profit but personal use, a hobby whilst keeping the land traditional. Why Murcia? well i researched most of Spain a few years ago, we have had our Finca for 2 and a half years now. We live no where near the coast, but about 45 mins inland close to the stunning ricote valle. We are surounded by pines and stunning views, Murcia has one of the best infastructures in Spain, we used to live in a coastal resort in the UK but decided on an inland location here, we can get to the beaches in less than an hour for a day out etc. Unlike other rural locations in Spain every house has mains water and electric, even ruins have a cable attached ready for restoration. Our nearest large town is 10 mins away and has a large river and promenades with beaches etc and is very pretty, with a large man made lake at the far end of town. From Blanca we are 20 minutes from murcia city, 15 from its huge new retail parks and football stadium, and 20 mins from the new international airport at Corvera when completed. So for us it ticks all the boxes. Plus according to stats Murcia has the best overall weather in Spain, during feb and march this year we were the only area not concistantly flooded and had lots of sunshine. Any way less of blowing my trumpet, im sure where any one lives is special to them. Take care Paul
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Karmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies, Joe we already had Almonds, Olives etc on our land and we have not harvested for profit but personal use, a hobby whilst keeping the land traditional. Why Murcia? well i researched most of Spain a few years ago, we have had our Finca for 2 and a half years now. We live no where near the coast, but about 45 mins inland close to the stunning ricote valle. We are surounded by pines and stunning views, Murcia has one of the best infastructures in Spain, we used to live in a coastal resort in the UK but decided on an inland location here, we can get to the beaches in less than an hour for a day out etc. Unlike other rural locations in Spain every house has mains water and electric, even ruins have a cable attached ready for restoration. Our nearest large town is 10 mins away and has a large river and promenades with beaches etc and is very pretty, with a large man made lake at the far end of town. From Blanca we are 20 minutes from murcia city, 15 from its huge new retail parks and football stadium, and 20 mins from the new international airport at Corvera when completed. So for us it ticks all the boxes. Plus according to stats Murcia has the best overall weather in Spain, during feb and march this year we were the only area not concistantly flooded and had lots of sunshine. Any way less of blowing my trumpet, im sure where any one lives is special to them. Take care Paul
Each to their own i agree - We had a taste of the coastal areas through various Holidays also my parents live in Murcia, its not for me.

We opted for Andalucia, we may be an hour & half from beaches but thats all good for us. We have several large lakes close by that are as good as any beach lots of forests mountains & rolling hills, in fact one area just as you come up past Mula/Caravaca de la Cruz and head towards Pueblo de Don Fadrique reminds me of the Dales (Emmerdale titles).

We chose this area as we are from a semi-rural area in the north of England and my husband needed the greenery and hills and also we both needed the seasons too.

Thats why the coast wasn't for us too arid and baron nice to visit now and again but wouldnt want to live there. I have friends in Torreveija and crime is going through the roof there (one of the reasons for leaving UK).

Where we are is like the UK 50yrs ago, people still whistle on the way to work, everyone greets you with Bueno dias/tardes/noches whether they know you or not, and the locals have been so welcoming we have everything we need within 20 mins walk (including English speaking pharmacist) and anything else you might need is 40mins down the road.

Property is still very reasonable around here too, we chose to live in a Cave House and i would NEVER go back to a conventional house now, the possibilities for renovation are limited only by your pocket and mind.

You seem to have it right though 45 mins inland close enough but far enough away. Enjoy
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:03 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Hi,
It's lovely to hear that you are all loving the areas that you have found and that they suit you for varying different reasons. What a difference to how you feel when people that you don't know have no qualms about saying buenos dias ect, doesn't it make you feel so much better. There are so many facets to spain and there is a bit for each of us that love it in so many ways. Good luck to everyone who has taken the plunge and those like me that at the moment have the best of both worlds, although I know where i would rather be, but one has to earn a living!!!
Luv Eve
xxx
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

To me the only thing that I don't like of Murcia is the summer. At least for me. By general norm, it usually is not hot in the sense of the ascent of the thermometer, but has certain humidity. Of course, knowing the summer and knowing how to take it, it becomes more passable

I believe that to exception of these three months of summer (that for me are not of my pleasure, but for other Spaniards and foreigners will be a charm) the rest of the year (9 months) in Murcia usually makes very good climate, with beautiful autumns, winters in general soft (if we compare them with other places of Spain) and exuberant springs

Spain seems a continent (inside Europe) by its contrast of climates, landscapes, etc, inside Spain, Murcia is a mini-continent: mountains, narrow passes and forests in the north area; vegetable gardens; snow in winter in high areas as Caravaca de la Cruz; el " Mar Menor " (according to the swimmer and star of Hollywood Esther Williams, " the biggest pool in the world ") and the Mar MediterrĂ¡neo, etc etc etc

Last edited by Relampago; Oct 8th 2007 at 6:38 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
To me the only thing that I don't like of Murcia is the summer. At least for me. By general norm, it usually is not hot in the sense of the ascent of the thermometer, but has certain humidity. Of course, knowing the summer and knowing how to take it, it becomes more passable

I believe that to exception of these three months of summer (that for me are not of my pleasure, but for other Spaniards and foreigners will be a charm) the rest of the year (9 months) in Murcia usually makes very good climate, with beautiful autumns, winters in general soft (if we compare them with other places of Spain) and exuberant springs

Spain seems a continent (inside Europe) by its contrast of climates, landscapes, etc, inside Spain, Murcia is a mini-continent: mountains, narrow passes and forests in the north area; vegetable gardens; snow in winter in high areas as Caravaca de la Cruz; el " Mar Menor " (according to the swimmer and star of Hollywood Esther Williams, " the biggest pool in the world ") and the Mar MediterrĂ¡neo, etc etc etc
Coming from semi rural England for me the seasons are important, we love to watch the changing seasond at the foot of La Sagra.

Karmen
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:21 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karmen
Coming from semi rural England for me the seasons are important, we love to watch the changing seasond at the foot of La Sagra.

Karmen
where's your post about the cave gone?
invalid thread...
turned up in france...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by treskillard
where's your post about the cave gone?
invalid thread...
turned up in france...
Sorry about that i will try again - thanks
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

dawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nicedawn.s is just really nice

I live quite near Murcia, close to Crevillente, we bought an old finca about 31/2 years ago after living near Torrevieja. We have olive trees, but must admit, don't do anything with them. I tried once and threw them out!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Karmen
Sorry about that i will try again - thanks
Hi

Did you receive my email, let me know please.

Karmen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.