Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Situation regarding new partner

Situation regarding new partner

Old Jun 28th 2023, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

CostaBlancaTrader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Situation regarding new partner

I am resident in spain and I have entered into a serious relationship with somebody from the UK and she has 2 young children. We are not thinking too far into the future yet and we are aware of the 90 day rule but it does beg the question.

How does it work if we want to be together permanently ?

Thank you.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Situation regarding new partner

Originally Posted by CostaBlancaTrader
I am resident in spain and I have entered into a serious relationship with somebody from the UK and she has 2 young children. We are not thinking too far into the future yet and we are aware of the 90 day rule but it does beg the question.

Thank you.
If you get married she can join you here as a family member. You may have to prove that you have sufficient income to support your new family etc

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Jun 28th 2023 at 7:05 am.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

"How does it work if we want to be together permanently ?"
Option B, you move back to UK.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

I am resident in Spain and I have entered into a serious relationship with somebody from the UK and she has 2 young children. We are not thinking too far into the future yet and we are aware of the 90 day rule but it does beg the question.

Unless your (new) relationship started before the end of the transition period (31st December 2020), your new partner and her children cannot gain residency under the withdrawal agreement (i.e. as family members of someone protected under the WA) and will need to qualify in their own right, such as NLV. The only circumstance in which a new family member can qualify is if he or she is a new-born or newly-adopted child of an existing relationship predating the end of the transition period.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
.... The only circumstance in which a new family member can qualify is if he or she is .... .
"Only"? ... If CBT has citizenship of an EU country, or takes Spanish citizenship, then he could sponsor his spouse/ partner and her dependent children.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Only"? ... If CBT has citizenship of an EU country, or takes Spanish citizenship, then he could sponsor his spouse/ partner and her dependent children.
Yes, of course. Similarly if his new lady can get Irish passport etc. But I was arguing on the basis of OP being a British citizen living in Spain under the WA.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmmm I am eligible for an Irish passport but how does that effect my residency which was gained under my British passport.
Old Jun 28th 2023, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm I am eligible for an Irish passport but how does that effect my residency which was gained under my British passport.
If you are eligible for an Irish passport, why on earth have you got a British passport if you live in an EU state? I made sure I obtained my Irish passport before the end of the transition period and I'm extremely glad I did.

If you get the Irish passport, you can get your partner and children into Spain immediately. You can simply reapply for normal EU type residency with the Irish passport and you don't need to faff about with the ridiculous Brexit related stuff.

Can you get the Irish passport immediately or have you got to go via the FBR?
Old Jun 29th 2023, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lou71
If you are eligible for an Irish passport, why on earth have you got a British passport if you live in an EU state? I made sure I obtained my Irish passport before the end of the transition period and I'm extremely glad I did.

If you get the Irish passport, you can get your partner and children into Spain immediately. You can simply reapply for normal EU type residency with the Irish passport and you don't need to faff about with the ridiculous Brexit related stuff.

Can you get the Irish passport immediately or have you got to go via the FBR?
What is the FBR ? I did my residency with my british passport so just never felt the need to apply for my irish one. Surely if i was to get an irish one i wouldn't need to do my residency again ? Not like you have to forfeit the British one as you can have dual citizenship.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tebo53
If you get married she can join you here as a family member. You may have to prove that you have sufficient income to support your new family etc

Steve

This make the most sense to be honest.

As a resident of this country you should be free to meet anybody from anywhere in the world.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joppa
Yes, of course. Similarly if his new lady can get Irish passport etc. But I was arguing on the basis of OP being a British citizen living in Spain under the WA.

So as a british citizen resident in spain i am only limited to finding love within the european union after brexit ?
Old Jun 29th 2023, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EU.flag
"How does it work if we want to be together permanently ?"
Option B, you move back to UK.

Ridiculous answer
Old Jun 29th 2023, 6:20 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Visados Nacionales - Visado de reagrupación familiar en régimen general

Visado para familiares de los extranjeros que ya tengan residencia legal en España y que quieran ejercer el derecho a la reagrupación familiar.

You'll have to get married first since you won't be able to live together as a pareja de hecho due to the 90/180 rule.

Last edited by DLC; Jun 29th 2023 at 6:23 am.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Not like you have to forfeit the British one as you can have dual citizenship.
To be more accurate Spain does not 'disallow' dual citizenship, rather it does not recognise it unless between countries with which it has agreements, UK not being amongst them.

You cannot be asked or told to surrender your UK passport either as it's the property of the UK government and cannot legally be taken from you by Spain.

https://www.idealista.com/en/news/legal-advice-in-spain/2023/04/04/117573-does-spain-allow-dual-citizenship-with-the-uk

In short, even if you take up Spanish citizenship you remain a UK citizen also. Renouncing that, were you to wish to do so, can only be done with the UK.

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Jun 29th 2023 at 6:30 am.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

I suppose I'll just have to marry her then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.