Reload this Page >

Single mum+ a toddler are planning to move to Spain

Single mum+ a toddler are planning to move to Spain

Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

maggieatmonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Single mum+ a toddler are planning to move to Spain

Originally Posted by singlemum
Hi I am a single mum from London. My daughter will be 3 years old in December 2008. I have a couple of properties in London, but property market being dead makes it really hard for me to plan the relocation.

Ideally I wanted to sell here and buy there, but after reading the forum for a few hours I realised that it might ne wiser to rent first and only then to buy in the area which is best for me and my child(schooling etc). I was advised by the spanish estate agent that its better if I apply for a mortgage whilst being employed in UK. Any tips on that one?

Another issue that is bothering me, is the Spanish School v International School. A lot was said about it in the other topics. But I think I might want eventually for my daughter to come back to UK to go to uni.
Question: is it possible to find a spanish school which will teach half subjects in english, half in spanish?

By the way, I am still undecisive about the area where we want to live. I must be crazy as I haven't even been to Spain yet....

I wasn't born in Britain and only moved to London in 1999.

We are flying to Valencia in October. I have a friend there who also moved very recently. So obviously, as me, she has more questions than answers herself. I am kind of thinking to either choose Valencia region or Marbella.

And of course the biggest issue is finding a job. I work for a property company in London at the moment. My knowledge of Spanish language is zero, however I am going to start taking lessons. I realise that unless I learn Spanish to the level where I can write and read, leave alone speaking fluently, I have a small chance getting a job which would pay reasonable wage to support myself and my daughter. Oh... I fear that I might need to start off from working in the bar...

As a single mum I am receiving some Child Tax Credit in UK, is there anything like that in Spain?

I will appreciate any serious advice given. Thank you for reading
l would advise you dont come to spain, l have been here l8 years, and have seen a lot of pats comming here and going back with nothing, you do not get any help here from the goverment, There are thousands of spainsh out of work,and the jobs that are available the spainsh will get them first, make no mistake about that.also with the housing market collapsing with thousand upon thousands of illegal homes everything here has become political and it will take Spain some years to recover from this.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

I think you would find it very difficult to make a living here whatever you do as you would only have one wage coming in, rent and bills to pay plus childcare all on one wage would be very difficult. If you really want to do it do you have a friend who also wants to move to spain? It would make it a bit easier for you to make ends meet if you were sure it was what you wanted to do as you would be able to share with someone and split the rent, bills and maybe they would even babysit for you while you worked
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:44 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you!! At least some positive news!!!!!

I think I more or less worked out the plan of action:

1.learn spanish as much as I can in UK
2.leave my child in UK and go to work in Spain for a few months just to practice the language,look around for a good place to buy.
3.get a proper job
4.sell the house in UK and buy a property in Spain. or rent the house in Uk and rent in Spain.
5.arrange a school for my daughter and bring her over.
I would not think about leaving a small child for a few months, you will miss the most beautiful part of a childs life.
I know of cases where the mother has had no option but to leave their child or children. That was the hardest to cope with.
These people were on the breadline, (which is not your case as you own 2 LONDON PROPERTIES)
My parents were immigrants, they left Spain and came to England with a small child, they had nothing, but they did not sacrifice being with their son.
Those years can never be recovered or lived again.
Dont be in such a hurry, you child will not be young forever......
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I would not think about leaving a small child for a few months, you will miss the most beautiful part of a childs life.
I know of cases where the mother has had no option but to leave their child or children. That was the hardest to cope with.
These people were on the breadline, (which is not your case as you own 2 LONDON PROPERTIES)
My parents were immigrants, they left Spain and came to England with a small child, they had nothing, but they did not sacrifice being with their son.
Those years can never be recovered or lived again.
Dont be in such a hurry, you child will not be young forever......
I have to say that I totally agree with you.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by me me

I know how it feels when your child is away unfortunately. When I bought my second London property I coudn't afford to keep paying 2 mortgages while I was refurbishing the new house. So I had to move in to the property I just bought with no running water, heating or electricity. And I lived like that for a while, but meantime my other flat was rented out,so at least one mortgage was covered. In those circumstances I could not have my child(she was 1,5 years old at that time) with me so I had to let her go to stay in my home country for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was the most awful time in my life. I had to do the refurbishment in stages as I didn't have enough money to finish it off in 3-4 months time. It was hard as once you let builders go its difficult to get them back and I tried bringing new people once, it didn't work out as they only messed up what previous ones did.

Life is all about sacrifices. if you want something(excluding health) in life you can always get it when you pay the right price. Not only money I am taking about. It could be anything from taking years to educate yourself to being separated with your loved ones.

That only my opinion, by the way. This is how I live.

Now we have a nice home, my child is with me and we are happy.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

I had a chat with my boss yesterday. We have a majority of our business concentrated in another european country (which is not spain unfortunately!) and I was told that I could make a move there.... FANTASTIC NEWS! But I am not taking the offer yet. I still want to see how my "Spanish Dream" goes.

UK will see even worse times in the next few month(up to 1 year) in my boss's opinion. As my own example, my house cost me £260,000 in 2006, now the value is about £200,000 and according to my boss it will worth about £100,000(if that) in 12 months time. Sad news. I am not even talking about my flat, which has a large loan secured on it as the second charge... But I have made my money on it. I can now let it go for repossession(what a horrible word..) As I will be better off getting rid of that huge loan too. The value of the flat dropped below what it was in 2005.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:19 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

I had a chat with my boss yesterday. We have a majority of our business concentrated in another european country (which is not spain unfortunately!) and I was told that I could make a move there.... FANTASTIC NEWS! But I am not taking the offer yet. I still want to see how my "Spanish Dream" goes.

UK will see even worse times in the next few month(up to 1 year) in my boss's opinion. As my own example, my house cost me £260,000 in 2006, now the value is about £200,000 and according to my boss it will worth about £100,000(if that) in 12 months time. Sad news. I am not even talking about my flat, which has a large loan secured on it as the second charge... But I have made my money on it. I can now let it go for repossession(what a horrible word..) As I will be better off getting rid of that huge loan too. The value of the flat dropped below what it was in 2005.
well even if they reposes and sell at auction for peanuts you will have to pay the shortfall.your dream is spain but all that glitters is not gold.we are having bad times aswell.make the move and keep your job.can you boss see the future.what will your house be worth in 10 years time
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

As my own example, my house cost me £260,000 in 2006, now the value is about £200,000 and according to my boss it will worth about £100,000(if that) in 12 months time.
I can't say what games your boss is playing, but I think the opinions in this
area are worthless. If you want to see what house prices in your area are
actually doing, go to the zoopla website and put in your postcode. You'll see
things are nowhere near that bad.

Please don't believe what your boss is telling you without checking it yourself.
And really, really don't make any life-changing decisions based solely on what
he/she is telling you.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:19 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

if you do make the move keep your options open to move back. Rent for a while and see how you like it. It is easier to move when your younger than when you older and set in your ways.

Unfortunatly things are bad everywhere and are likely to get worse in the short term.

But if you make the move and it works out you'll be happy.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:23 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

btw here's why you don't want to buy a place in Spain

from another thread

Same old story I’m afraid, but thought I’d ask advice anyway on behalf of some friends.

They bought a house around two years ago in good faith and now they are being taken to court because it is classed as as an illegal dwelling in the Parque Natural.

Apparently the story goes, it was built as a Nave (agricultural building) by the previous owners. They then proceeded to add two bedrooms and a bathroom and used it as a dwelling. They were fined for this but the property remained as it was (still illegal to be used as a dwelling).

They then decided to sell it. Enter our friends, They were not told the house was classed as a Nave and assumed it was a legal dwelling as no-one told them any different. It was being lived in when they viewed it. They paid for an interpreter to translate the documents for them. This person also didn’t tell them the property could not be lived in, and actually translated the documents so that it sounded as though they could (our friends found out, too late, that this person was hand-in-glove with the Estate Agent).

Any wonder the bottom has fallen out of the housing market.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
btw here's why you don't want to buy a place in Spain

from another thread

Same old story I’m afraid, but thought I’d ask advice anyway on behalf of some friends.

They bought a house around two years ago in good faith and now they are being taken to court because it is classed as as an illegal dwelling in the Parque Natural.

Apparently the story goes, it was built as a Nave (agricultural building) by the previous owners. They then proceeded to add two bedrooms and a bathroom and used it as a dwelling. They were fined for this but the property remained as it was (still illegal to be used as a dwelling).

They then decided to sell it. Enter our friends, They were not told the house was classed as a Nave and assumed it was a legal dwelling as no-one told them any different. It was being lived in when they viewed it. They paid for an interpreter to translate the documents for them. This person also didn’t tell them the property could not be lived in, and actually translated the documents so that it sounded as though they could (our friends found out, too late, that this person was hand-in-glove with the Estate Agent).

Any wonder the bottom has fallen out of the housing market.
Scampcat tells a similar story about friends of hers so it is happening in different areas.

Rosemary
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Scampcat tells a similar story about friends of hers so it is happening in different areas.

Rosemary
I'm pretty sure it is scampicat's thread

he just didn't quote it
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Whatever you decide singlemum, I wish you the best of luck, you have already shown how determination has paid off in a new country We have friends who moved to Spain 3 years ago, couldn't speak Spanish, had no jobs to go to, didn't take capital with them but are still there, working and happy, sometimes it does work out
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I'm pretty sure it is scampicat's thread

he just didn't quote it
from another thread

Obviously I did not read this vital line..........DOH.

Rosemary
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Ms Moneypenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't just take a chance and go for it hoping it will work out. I have lived in Javea on the costa Blanca for four years and do just make ends meet. I am a strong believer that if you don't try somthing you will never know. But I think the odds are stacked against you being a single parent with the present economy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.