Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

signing on the padron

signing on the padron

Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of
Default signing on the padron

I went to the town hall and was told that I can no longer sign on the pardon as I did not have a green form. I used too as it gave the village more money but now apparently unless i AM A PERMANENT RESIDENT i CAN NOT SIGN ON.
To which I have always done so previosly.
I think our town hall will miss a great deal of revenue from the government as although I am there a lot of the year not a permanent resident .
I am probably not the only one so I think funds will be cut drastically. when you consider Policing and upkeep of village and surrounding urbanisations

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Jan 4th 2012 at 11:55 pm. Reason: spelling rubbish
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: signing on the padron

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
I went to the town hall and was told that I can no longer sign on the pardon as I did not have a green form. I used too as it gave the village more money but now apparently unless i AM A PERMANENT RESIDENT i CAN NOT SIGN ON.
I think our town hall will miss a great deal of revenue from the government as although I am there a lot of the year not a permanent resident .
I am probably not the only one so I think funds will be cut drastically. when you consider Policing and upkeep of village and surrounding urbanisations
Well it seems logical to me as it is a register of permanent residents, not part time ones.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can only sign on the padron if your habitual residence is in the locality. That's what it says in the relevant law.

Many town halls have allowed non residents to sign on to generate extra income which has caused people to assume that it is legal to do so - it isn't.

Part of the new austerity measures is bound to be a crackdown on tax evasion. This has just happened with regard to property - Hacienda have just sent out 350000 letters to people who are on the property register but have not submitted non resident or resident tax returns. They already have access to all electricity bills to see whether property is being occupied.

I think it is only a matter of time before the tax authorities decide to check the names on the padron against their list of tax residents who pay their taxes in Spain. That could result in many people being asked to explain why they haven't been submitting tax declarations.

If you sign on the padron you are effectively declaring that you are a full time resident and thus (most likely) liable for tax.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly related, but...This very day last year I went to get my green form as my card was due to run out later in the month.

I might have been trapped in some kind of bureaucratic merry-go-round had the card not still been valid, as the police wanted to see the padron to give me the green sheet, and the hacienda wanted to see the card/sheet to give me the padron slip......
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You can only sign on the padron if your habitual residence is in the locality. That's what it says in the relevant law.

Many town halls have allowed non residents to sign on to generate extra income which has caused people to assume that it is legal to do so - it isn't.

Part of the new austerity measures is bound to be a crackdown on tax evasion. This has just happened with regard to property - Hacienda have just sent out 350000 letters to people who are on the property register but have not submitted non resident or resident tax returns. They already have access to all electricity bills to see whether property is being occupied.

I think it is only a matter of time before the tax authorities decide to check the names on the padron against their list of tax residents who pay their taxes in Spain. That could result in many people being asked to explain why they haven't been submitting tax declarations.

If you sign on the padron you are effectively declaring that you are a full time resident and thus (most likely) liable for tax.
exactly - as you, I & many others on here have said many many times - it's a list of residents - not property owners as some other posters here have long insisted

that's one thing that I'm not confused about

Last edited by lynnxa; Jan 5th 2012 at 8:50 am.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Not exactly related, but...This very day last year I went to get my green form as my card was due to run out later in the month.

I might have been trapped in some kind of bureaucratic merry-go-round had the card not still been valid, as the police wanted to see the padron to give me the green sheet, and the hacienda wanted to see the card/sheet to give me the padron slip......
Yep. Some authorities are still getting it wrong!

AFAIK: You can have a 'residencia' without the need to be on the padron!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I did not do it to avoid the tax as I have actually been paying non resident tax via my solicitor.
I was told when I first moved there 3 years ago that it would be good for the villge if I did .
I did not know it was illegal I was told it was the done thing as I was there so often.
As when you first come out advise is given from long term resisdents on what to do.
So I was suprised when found I could not this year.
I think the government will save a great deal as the villages wont be able to claim revenue for so many residents as before. Sign of the times.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I did not do it to avoid the tax as I have actually been paying non resident tax via my solicitor.
I was told when I first moved there 3 years ago that it would be good for the villge if I did .
I did not know it was illegal I was told it was the done thing as I was there so often.
As when you first come out advise is given from long term resisdents on what to do.
So I was suprised when found I could not this year.
I think the government will save a great deal as the villages wont be able to claim revenue for so many residents as before. Sign of the times.
I don't think anyone thought you were intending to break the law

unforunately some ayuntamientos did encourage non-residents to sign on the padrón - as you say - they get govt. money per resident

but it has never been the legal thing to do
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: signing on the padron

Do you spend more than 90 days (say 3 periods of a month or 6 fortnight visits) a year in Spain?

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 5th 2012 at 10:39 am.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Do you spend more than 90 days (say 3 periods of a month or 6 fortnight visits) a year in Spain?
what does that have to do with it?

she's either a resident of Spain or she isn't
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I think this year I will be there 112 days approx of course all broken up week here and month there. My permanent home is in the UK though. Good Question Lynnxa what has this got to do with it??????

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Jan 5th 2012 at 11:01 am. Reason: add more
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I think this year I will be there 112 days approx of course all broken up week here and month there. My permanent home is in the UK though. Good Question Lynnxa what has this got to do with it??????
Because you are technically resident in Spain.

Quote: The new system obliges foreigners to register on the “Registro Central de Extranjeros” (“Foreigners’ Register”) if they intend to live in Spain longer than 90 days. ..... To stay within the law you should register if you intend to live in Spain for 90 days or more.

So why not sign on and save all the hassle?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Because you are technically resident in Spain.

Quote: The new system obliges foreigners to register on the “Registro Central de Extranjeros” (“Foreigners’ Register”) if they intend to live in Spain longer than 90 days. ..... To stay within the law you should register if you intend to live in Spain for 90 days or more.

So why not sign on and save all the hassle?
'intend to live in Spain' - she doesn't.................she comes for several long hols

as Fred (I think) said - it can only be a matter of time before tax & register computors start talking to each other - if she signs the resident list then she is ttechnically 'resident', when she clearly isn't

it is something which needs sorting out though - I'm surely not the only one who thinks it's daft having different time spans for tax & 'resident' residency
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: signing on the padron

Originally Posted by lynnxa
what does that have to do with it?

she's either a resident of Spain or she isn't
She should aquire the Green Certificate of Residence if she is in Spain more than 90 days in a year. This has no bearing on her non-residence tax status that is entirely seperate and is about 183 days residence.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
She should aquire the Green Certificate of Residence if she is in Spain more than 90 days in a year. This has no bearing on her non-residence tax status that is entirely seperate and is about 183 days residence.
It's not 90 days in a year as you imply - it is 90 CONSECUTIVE days.

For tax purposes the 183 days do not have to be consecutive but it must be in the same calendar year.

Therefore it is perfectly possible to be tax resident and not have to sign on the register of foreigners.

By the way, you need to alter your signature. It is suggesting that everyone who has property in Spain should sign on the padron and I think we have established that this is not the case unless you have your habitual residence here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.