Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Signal Loss -5% on Itv and more4 / E4 channels !

Signal Loss -5% on Itv and more4 / E4 channels !

Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Signal Loss -5% on Itv and more4 / E4 channels !

Hi again.

I recently installed an Inverto ultra pro black Lnb .2 on my 1.25m offset dish and improved the signal by around 9 %.

Now on the itv ,more4 ,e4 - signal goes down to 36 - 37 % with picture breakup. These were the channels I noticed improvement initially.

Even the stron bbc1 London ,BBc3 have gone down by that 5 % but on those it doesn`t make any diff because the signal is strong.

Question is anyone experiencing a loss of signal. Would be keen to here frem the " Guy ".

For the rocord I don`t use a sky digibox, well , I have got one and have also noticed that the signal strength is so strong it nearly fills up the whole bar. Signal quality is none existant. That frequency is 11.773 V .

Cheers.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:56 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Signal Loss -5% on Itv and more4 / E4 channels !

Interestingly, we've noticed signal loss over the last week or so.

I was putting it down to the changeable weather (it's 'drizzled' here for the last few days).
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

we have a cable service - which comes from a dish at source

we had no channels at all first thing this morning, and have also noticed dodgy pictures
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future

I`m wondering if this is all to do with the lauch of the new Astra 2 satellite. I haven`t been down to the garden to see if it could be the LNB. Backs giving me probs so I`ll wait afew more day`s .
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:17 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

More than not, in August, more drop in signals is down to heat and humidty having a "loss effect" on signals. And there is also the posibility of more sand in the air from Africa. All this "crap" in the skies does not help the already weak UK TV satellite signals.

There was an issue a few summers ago when many coastal areas has poor TDT (Spanish TV) recetion, all down to the humidity having an affect on the signals, and so local councils started to put in signal repeaters for the worst affected areas.

For example, my BBC2 England can start to break up at about 2pm on hot and humid days, where as on "normal" days I can receive this channel cyrstal clear until about 7pm...sometimes in Oct / Nov I get it 24/7 on nice clear crisp nights.

But for the last year or so E4 adn M4 have been going off earler than they used to, and may be down to a new satellite (no new astra2s have gone up there so it cannot be those!!) using "similar frequencies" at 26 east (UK TV sats are at 28 east), and those are having an effect on the weaker UK TV signals.....

If by 11773 you mean frequency 11778, that frequency carries the Sky EPG data, and menu back groundmusic, and is on an AStra 2 north beam, and that beam is wekaest at 5pm, and requires LNB skew to be perfect. Even some 2.4m dishes south of where I am can struggle to get his freq 24/7.

Unless you are comparing exactly the same equuipment (dish size, LNB, cable length, cable type, receiver, LOCATION, time of day, weather, local interfereance etc ) then signal strengths and qualities will vary from user to users, and from frequency to frequency. So mentioning signal strength and quality without saying the type of receiver you are using is not very useful. I can put on 5 different makes and models of Sky boxes on the same frequency and each can record different strengths and qualites....

Last edited by The Guy; Sep 1st 2011 at 6:25 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, all those things could be a source of additional interference with signal quality and yes you can not compare your system to someone else`s because of STB`s being diierent.

In my case , I haven`t come across one person that has a Reelbox 2. The tuners are of the pci type ( I have 2 sat and 1 tdt ). These tuners I have found to be sensitive and good on selectability, ( filtering out the strong from weak signals ).

Cable run is 30 m or so , with a generic 1.25m dish coupled to an Inverto ultra black 0.2. At the moment of writing this E4 aand M4 are at 37 % . They should be 42-43% , which gives me a solid pixel free picture. However, it`s itv I tend to watch most and 10758 V loses 9 % over the day . Those channels register 37-38 % when they held at 41-42% afew months ago, ( no pixelation ).

Thing is I`m also lossing power on itv2+1 and itv3. These channels were really strong after installing the Inverto (52-55 %) - now ( 41-42%) , just holding.

When I get a chance I`ll twist the lnb slightly, see if I get some results.

That frequency I referred to earlier is the frequecy that is pre-installed in all digboxes - I thin- correct me if I`m wrong. It could be 11778v. I only use the Digibox for infomation on programs and the Reelbox covers just about everything else. Still can not get epg for channel 5, all other channels I get the full 7 day guide.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I am on the coast south of you.

I use a Humax Freesat HDR with a normal 1.3m dish with an Inverto Black Ultra.

At the moment, nearly 11pm I am getting 75-80% signal quality on ITV2+1 and about 70% on ITV3.

ITV1HD is 90% and ITV Mer south is 85%. More 4 and E4 are 70%
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for that. That has given me a pointer, must be either the dish or the lnb which has moved. Will check when I can.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:44 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I am on the coast south of you.

I use a Humax Freesat HDR with a normal 1.3m dish with an Inverto Black Ultra.

At the moment, nearly 11pm I am getting 75-80% signal quality on ITV2+1 and about 70% on ITV3.

ITV1HD is 90% and ITV Mer south is 85%. More 4 and E4 are 70%
At this time (23.42) I have just been watching a less than 100% picture on Virgin's cable, kept getting pixilations, reminded me of a radio signal fading, but its on cable