Reload this Page >

Should we or shouldn't we ?

Should we or shouldn't we ?

Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Saralou67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we or shouldn't we ?

Thank you Lesleyandme.

As you say very similar scenario to us ! I must admit we had never thought of the option of buying our own business, not sure why we hadn't thought of that as it sounds, on the surface, a good option. I shall certainly do some investigation and see what I can find.

My main fear is that I shall regret more the things we haven't done than the things we have at least tried but its just getting over those initial hurdles and taking the plunge.

Thanks again and I hope things continue to go well for you both

Sara x
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saralou67
Thank you Lesleyandme. As you say very similar scenario to us ! I must admit we had never thought of the option of buying our own business, not sure why we hadn't thought of that as it sounds, on the surface, a good option. I shall certainly do some investigation and see what I can find. My main fear is that I shall regret more the things we haven't done than the things we have at least tried but its just getting over those initial hurdles and taking the plunge. Thanks again and I hope things continue to go well for you both Sara x
It's great that it seems to be working for lesleyandme, but don't forget that they've only just started and everything is exciting at the beginning. We're all different, but would I want to invest my hard earned money in a business at the age of 56 and then work non stop to get through the winter?

You'd be better off keeping your money, working your socks off in the UK for 6 months and spend a few months in Spain when it suits. You don't have to worry about losing money, a business etc.. So many people seem to mention the word regret, but maybe you might regret that you didn't appreciate what you have in the UK.

We're never going to be doing everything in life and more and more people seem to be unhappy and think they have to try everything to end up happy. The winners are the people who appreciate the little things in life, sit back, relax and enjoy a cup of tea. They just take things as they come and don't force it.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 10th 2016 at 7:19 am.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

101wvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saralou67
Thank you Lesleyandme.

As you say very similar scenario to us ! I must admit we had never thought of the option of buying our own business, not sure why we hadn't thought of that as it sounds, on the surface, a good option. I shall certainly do some investigation and see what I can find.

My main fear is that I shall regret more the things we haven't done than the things we have at least tried but its just getting over those initial hurdles and taking the plunge.

Thanks again and I hope things continue to go well for you both

Sara x
There is a difference here as you won't have a home to go back to and it appears Lesleyandme do. Running your own business - you will need to think so carefully what you are going to do, especially with your lack of Spanish language skills.

I think your Plan B is a great idea and you will have the flexibility to go over to Spain and get an idea of what life would be like for you with or without your own business or a job. Good luck anyway and enjoy your inheritance - I think that is what you were meant to do with it.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's great that it seems to be working for lesleyandme, but don't forget that they've only just started and everything is exciting at the beginning. We're all different, but would I want to invest my hard earned money in a business at the age of 56 and then work non stop to get through the winter?

You'd be better off keeping your money, working your socks off in the UK for 6 months and spend a few months in Spain when it suits. You don't have to worry about losing money, a business etc.. So many people seem to mention the word regret, but maybe you might regret that you didn't appreciate what you have in the UK.

We're never going to be doing everything in life and more and more people seem to be unhappy and think they have to try everything to end up happy. The winners are the people who appreciate the little things in life, sit back, relax and enjoy a cup of tea. They just take things as they come and don't force it.
Although Caution suits some people. And we should all learn to appreciate what we have I can't agree with you completely that to be a 'winner' you need to settle for a quiet life. Some people are happy settling for tea and slippers and others need a challenge. As has been said on this forum many times before, one person's dream is not the same as another's. But you do have to have a serious amount of grit and determination to get through any tough times which may come up. Those who do expect the dream... to be a dream and who can't face difficult times should definitely keep their feet on solid ground. But those who welcome a challenge will be happier taking risks, even if they fail. The OP does right to ask the relevant questions so they're aware of the pitfalls. That's a very good start.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Although Caution suits some people. And we should all learn to appreciate what we have I can't agree with you completely that to be a 'winner' you need to settle for a quiet life. Some people are happy settling for tea and slippers and others need a challenge. As has been said on this forum many times before, one person's dream is not the same as another's. But you do have to have a serious amount of grit and determination to get through any tough times which may come up. Those who do expect the dream... to be a dream and who can't face difficult times should definitely keep their feet on solid ground. But those who welcome a challenge will be happier taking risks, even if they fail. The OP does right to ask the relevant questions so they're aware of the pitfalls. That's a very good start.
My point was that you will never have everything in life and the person drinking the tea is just a saying and has nothing to do with a quiet life.These people are in general just a lot happier and opportunities come to them.

If I want to win a marathon, I need to learn to run first, be passionate and use my energy wisely, otherwise I'll fail.

We all have dreams, but sometimes common sense is better and we all have limits. Even the best boxer needs to know when to retire and a KO in the last fight won't be a success.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

lesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond repute

We researched extensively before committing ourselves to anything.
We decided to make a living you had to be in a tourist area so looked from Barcelona to Cadiz, Balearics and Canneries.
We pin pointed three businesses and then narrowed it down one, made an offer and secured it with a deposit.
The reason we chose the one we did was lack of competition in the area, the general rundown state of the business which only needed a general make over and let people know what you do.
It has paid dividends as work is flooding in. It helps that tourist bookings to Mallorca are up 30 to 40% this year so far.
You defiantly need a "safe haven" as in somewhere to live in the UK if things do go wrong.
All individuals are different and you really do need to be set in the right mind frame.
Throw yourself into the local way of life, speak to Spanish people, learn the language.
As said above we have only been here a short while and may think differently in a few years time, but at least we can say we gave it a go.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lesleyandme
We researched extensively before committing ourselves to anything.We decided to make a living you had to be in a tourist area so looked from Barcelona to Cadiz, Balearics and Canneries.We pin pointed three businesses and then narrowed it down one, made an offer and secured it with a deposit.The reason we chose the one we did was lack of competition in the area, the general rundown state of the business which only needed a general make over and let people know what you do.It has paid dividends as work is flooding in. It helps that tourist bookings to Mallorca are up 30 to 40% this year so far.You defiantly need a "safe haven" as in somewhere to live in the UK if things do go wrong.All individuals are different and you really do need to be set in the right mind frame.Throw yourself into the local way of life, speak to Spanish people, learn the language. As said above we have only been here a short while and may think differently in a few years time, but at least we can say we gave it a go.
Fair play and hope it works out for you in the long run. As you say, we're all different and I think it's wrong if some people say just go for it.

Some people have a bigger budget, security in the UK, better skills. People who invest their life savings into a business without doing any research might regret it.