Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Should Britain have intervened in the Spanish Civil War?

Should Britain have intervened in the Spanish Civil War?

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should Britain have intervened in the Spanish Civil War?

Ok, it's a historical question, but one I'm reminded of by the current intervention in the Middle East. The Republic at that time was democratically elected, and the rebels were Franco's fascists (supported militarily by Mussolini and Hitler's regimes). Should we have helped the "Reds" as some called the Republic side?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Britain have intervened in the Spanish Civil War?

We had nothing to gain from Spain so no.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
We had nothing to gain from Spain so no.
Plenty of oil in Spain though! (the olive kind)
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:07 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know enough about the history, but I do know that so much of it was tied up in with world war 2. However, should we have supported one side against another in Spain??? I dont think so, there were a lot who did actually support Franco - yes there were atrocities, but do we fully understand why and werent those atrocities on both sides????

I often wonder how the west would feel if dictators and their armies decided that democracy was wrong and unfair, so started bombing us and trying to usurp governments - thats not right either. In fact it is happening to a degree, but we call it terrorism - there are always losers when their are people with their own minds involved.

Jo xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:09 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Ok, it's a historical question, but one I'm reminded of by the current intervention in the Middle East. The Republic at that time was democratically elected, and the rebels were Franco's fascists (supported militarily by Mussolini and Hitler's regimes). Should we have helped the "Reds" as some called the Republic side?
The Reds were a rabble who could never even agree with each other and were rapidly taking the country down the pan.

They were already split into so many factions before the war that it would have been impossible to know which if any of them were worth the trouble.

In addition they were already guilty of numerous attrocities themselves before the war even started.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of oil in Spain though! (the olive kind)
Yes, now if we could all just run our cars on it we could kill two birds with one stone, by both helping the economy and saving my food from floating in a sea of olive oil every time I go to a restaurant.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:51 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

britain did help.they blockaded spain so no food or arms could get to the democraticly elected goverment and the people fighting the dictator franco.they stabed the people in the back.the british did a deal with franco for the minirals in the huelva mines that were british owend. have you heard of the british bregade or patato jones

Last edited by betris; Mar 23rd 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:01 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I dont know enough about the history, but I do know that so much of it was tied up in with world war 2. However, should we have supported one side against another in Spain??? I dont think so, there were a lot who did actually support Franco - yes there were atrocities, but do we fully understand why and werent those atrocities on both sides????

I often wonder how the west would feel if dictators and their armies decided that democracy was wrong and unfair, so started bombing us and trying to usurp governments - thats not right either. In fact it is happening to a degree, but we call it terrorism - there are always losers when their are people with their own minds involved.

Jo xxx
hitler practiced the stuka dive bombing tatics on the unarmed spanish people at the request of fraco with the blessing of the britsh goverment
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:18 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by betris
britain did help.they blockaded spain so no food or arms could get to the democraticly elected goverment and the people fighting the dictator franco.they stabed the people in the back.the british did a deal with franco for the minirals in the huelva mines that were british owend. have you heard of the british bregade or patato jones
As usual you haven't a clue.
The British Navy actually protected Spud Jones from Spanish ships when he ran the blockade into N.Spain.

http://www.terrynorm.ic24.net/spanis...il%20war.htm#9
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As usual you haven't a clue.
The British Navy actually protected Spud Jones from Spanish ships when he ran the blockade into N.Spain.

http://www.terrynorm.ic24.net/spanis...il%20war.htm#9
ask any old spaniard who was in the war not brtish spin.

Last edited by betris; Mar 23rd 2011 at 8:41 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:40 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The British did intervene, as much as they could, let alone the men and women who went to lay down their lives...
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The British did intervene, as much as they could, let alone the men and women who went to lay down their lives...
no that was the do gooders against facist who went went over to fight.Britain done a deal over the rio tito mines minerals not to interfere.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
no that was the do gooders against facist who went went over to fight.Britain done a deal over the rio tito mines minerals not to interfere.
Is that what the "men who fought in the war" told you while sat in the bar?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:27 pm
On the road again.

Britain did well not to get too involved as it was simply a question of which was the least of the two evils at the time
The red rabble were largely responsible for starting the war partly because of their attrocities and also the fact they were letting the country go rapidly down the drain whilst arguing amongst themselves.
Had they come out victorious it's my belief that Spain and it's ppl.would have been much worse of than they are at present and the red rabble would likely have still been too occupied with their infighting to do much about it, thats of course if the Ruskies hadn't taken over and added Spain to their Soviet Block collection.
Franco was no doubt an evil barsteward, but after being released from his grip, Spain and it's ppl.were just glad to get on with their lives and begin working together for the future.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Is that what the "men who fought in the war" told you while sat in the bar?
yes sort of.we were all drinking vino.lots of it.me and a gang of old timer war vets.they were fancos boys.they noticed my swastica tatto on my forehead and iron cross earings.thats how we became frends.any way they told me all about the civil war.funny thing is they couldnt speak english and i cant speak spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.