Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Short Break in Barcelona

Short Break in Barcelona

Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short Break in Barcelona

Well, I went down the travel agents on Saturday with the intention of getting a four day breal in Marbella, Peurto B or La Cala.
After being informed that "Easy Jet dont fly to Alicante on a Saturday" (!) I decided on a short break in BArcelona. Its our 30th Wedding Anniversary so I thought that would be romantic.

It's a 5 star Hotel and the best I could get was B&B.

Does anyone have ant ideas or tips on what the must do's when visiting Barcelona are please?
We are there for 4 nights from 1st December.
Thanks in Advance.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short Break in Barcelona

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Well, I went down the travel agents on Saturday with the intention of getting a four day breal in Marbella, Peurto B or La Cala.
After being informed that "Easy Jet dont fly to Alicante on a Saturday" (!) I decided on a short break in BArcelona. Its our 30th Wedding Anniversary so I thought that would be romantic.

Does anyone have ant ideas or tips on what the must do's when visiting Barcelona are please?
Thanks in Advance.
We have only been there for a day trip but suggest that you first do the two different tourist bus trips. That way you will get to see the city sights with excellent commentary and then you can focus on how you want to spend the rest of your time. The La Rambla is great with living statues and a great atmosphere.

You will love it, everyone finds something there that amazes them.

Enjoy yourselves.

Rosemary
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

You have to visit the Sagrada Familia, the cathedral originally designed by Gaudi and 100 years later is still under construction. It's the most breathtaking piece of architecture I have ever seen.

A walk down the Ramblas for a beer and some Tapas is a must!

The olympic village is quite nice and from the bottom of the Ramblas there is a telecabine/tram that runs up to it providing some fantastic views.

Parque Guell, also designed by Gaudi, is a nice walkaround and while we were there we stopped and watched a busking band that were very impressive. (I think we even bought a cd...)

Another good trip is to take the train from Barcelona and head up to the monastery at Montserrat.

There is so much to do in Barcelona, of all the places I've been it's my favourite city.

As usual beware pickpockets and bagsnatchers, with reasonable precautions
you'll be fine.

Have a great break!

Ste.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Splatt has just about given most of the things you will get in for a short break... If you do nothing else you must visit the Sagrada Famila and while in the Sagrada Familia take the time to go down and read about how Gaudi designed and to find out more in depth info about this amazing place, I have visited it about 10 times and it never fails to put the hairs on the back of my neck on end when I go there. I have had the pleasure of actually working inside the building and been fortunate enough in getting access to the stone works that is under the construction (No access for the public unfortunately), it is absolutely amazing the work that goes on there although now I understand that much of the stone work is moulded.

The Port Olimpic marina down by the Hotel Arts is worth a visit as it has quite a few good fish restaurants, better in the summer evening of course but still worth a visit any time. Can also be a nice walk if it is a warm evening, along the sea front from the marina, past the metal fish and down towards the columbus column.

Santa Maria de Pi, Carrer de Ferran and generally most of the streets between the Ramblas and Carrer de Ferrer and Via Laietana are fantastic to stroll but do it during the day or early evening.

There is a market that goes on just at the side of the Plaza de Las Glorias , I think it is on a Sunday but check, can be interesting to have a stroll around.

Oh and go to Montjuich, fantastic view over the city.

Barcelona is probably the most fantastic city in Spain, for me anyway, I love the place as I am sure you will.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Last edited by Econ; Nov 25th 2007 at 10:53 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a football fan, then a visit to the "Camp nou" is a must. The "Barrio Gotico" with the other cathedral is also worth a visit.
At the top of the ramblas is the Plaza Catalunya with thousands of pidgeons, a la Trafalger square. A nice place to sit and relax after the walk up there.

Keep your hand on your wallet, (Tales of pickpockets are all true) and enjoy your time there
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:49 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

All of the suggestions above (especially the Sagrada Familia Temple), but don't miss a stroll in the Gothic Quarter either

I believe there is also a permanent Dali exhibition somewhere at the end of Las Ramblas towards the port......if you like that sort of thing. We thought it was great
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

ditto all of the above - we went a couple of months ago, only for 2 days but crammed in lots of sights but sooo much more we could of seen/done

if you take one of the tourist buses you can hop on and off as you like and see all of the places mentioned here

thought camp nou tour was a bit over rated but my son is a Barca fan so it had to be done

segrada familiar is a MUST - totally out of this world

have a great time
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in Advance.
just found the website for the tour bus we went on - here
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary ACD

Sounds like you've got lots of great tips here already; so hope you have a fantastic time.
I shall look forward to hearing all about your trip, because I'm looking to go in June...................to see Jon Bon Jovi in concert
Hopefully I'll be going with my Catalan friend, so will have a "super guide" too

Have great fun!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:25 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

As its your wedding anniversary - should you actually be getting out of bed.........
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everybody, Im looking forward to reporting back now
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

10 hours to go.
Our hotel is on the ramblas
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:43 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

10 hours to go.
Our hotel is on the ramblas
Have a great time and a brilliant anniversary celebration.

If your hotel is on Las Ramblas, don't even bother with a car rental. Take a taxi to the hotel and then just use the underground (which is brilliant by the way) to do your travelling.....or the tourist bus will get you around at least for one day
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about you earlier, but thought you probably would have left already.

Wishing you and your wife a wonderful anniversary, and a fantastic trip to Barcelona

Can't wait to hear all about it!
Buen viaje
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have been thinking about you and Mrs ACD, and wondering how your trip was?
I expect you'll be back fairly soon (tomorrow sometime?) so am very much looking forward to hearing all about it

Welcome home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.