Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Shops you would like to see

Shops you would like to see

Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shops you would like to see

[QUOTE=Domino;9515875]which goes to prove they are laughing up their sleeves at us for accepting the crap they serve as "fast food".

countries like Spain, Italy, India, Pakistan who we know for "fast food" actually go to alot of trouble to make up a table of separate dishes with separate spices and feed in a more relaxed manner, with people sharing servings.

was it us or them that started this dump it all in the one pot then dump it all on one plate rubbish we currently get ??[/QUOTE]

I guess the fast food outlets in the UK are cashing in on the fact that after a night on the town most of their punters are too drunk to even know what they are eating!
The others catering for the more civilised are putting on the menu what they think people want...even if it is not in the least bit authentic.
Take for instance samosas, a genuine one is delicious, even for those of us not keen on spicy food, in contrast the bought out variety nearly blow your head off.....what's that all about?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have ever been to india you will find that food is all dumped in one pot as it is/was in most countries. In Spain paella was always eaten out of a communal pot as were other dishes. They didn't have the luxury of having lots of side plates, it was a chunk of bread and dig in.

Some parts of India and Pakistan have very hot curries. They even eat the stuff for breakfast to warm themselves. There are lots of stuff on the menu in Indian restaurants that are not hot. A good sign is when the Pakistanis/Indians whatever are eating there.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I've certainly been to some Indian restaurants (although they are nearly all run by Bangladeshis or Pakistanis, actually) where you can't taste any individual ingredients in the food and the sauce looks and tastes as though they just make one big pan and ladle it over everything, no matter what kind of sauce it is meant to be - but I don't go to them twice! In a good one, yes I can taste the prawns in a prawn jalfrezi (which is only medium hot, I don't like really, really hot foods as I agree it isn't pleasant just to have your mouth burning and not be able to taste what you are eating). As for how it compares to the tast of prawns not cooked with a curry sauce, I wouldn't know how to compare it - just like I couldn't describe a plain grilled steak compared to steak au poivre, or grilled sole compared to Sole Veronique, for example. Sometimes I like to eat the plain variety, sometimes I prefer it with a sauce. But to be able to enjoy the choice is the main thing.

Things have certainly changed for the better since I was growing up. My parents refused to eat anything even slightly "foreign" - even spaghetti! I was about 21 and had left home before I ever ate salmon or pineapple that hadn't come out of a tin. Salads in our house consisted of lettuce and tomato, served absolutely plain, even Heinz salad cream wouldn't have been countenanced. As for olive oil, that came from the chemist shop in a tiny bottle, and was only used for treating earache not for eating!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If you have ever been to india you will find that food is all dumped in one pot as it is/was in most countries. In Spain paella was always eaten out of a communal pot as were other dishes. They didn't have the luxury of having lots of side plates, it was a chunk of bread and dig in.

Some parts of India and Pakistan have very hot curries. They even eat the stuff for breakfast to warm themselves. There are lots of stuff on the menu in Indian restaurants that are not hot. A good sign is when the Pakistanis/Indians whatever are eating there.
The stuff on menus in both Indian and Pakistani restaurants is a far cry from what is served up in there homes, where in fact food was and still is served in many dishes!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

Things have certainly changed for the better since I was growing up. My parents refused to eat anything even slightly "foreign" - even spaghetti! I was about 21 and had left home before I ever ate salmon or pineapple that hadn't come out of a tin. Salads in our house consisted of lettuce and tomato, served absolutely plain, even Heinz salad cream wouldn't have been countenanced. As for olive oil, that came from the chemist shop in a tiny bottle, and was only used for treating earache not for eating!
Hey you stole my childhood, I had forgotten about the olive oil for earache.

Graham
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hey you stole my childhood, I had forgotten about the olive oil for earache.

Graham
My mother still uses it for that!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
My mother still uses it for that!
warmed up a little I would hope
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Domino
warmed up a little I would hope
Everything is warmed up for my mother, inside her house makes our Andalucian summer feel positively cool!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The Indian restaurants we have been to always bring everything seperate. It depends on what you order as to how many dishes you get. Both UK and Spain's Indian places have mild dishes, some not even with curry. If you only order chicken curry with rice that's what you get

I once visited an Indian restaurant in Birmingham and we all ordered so many different tasters they wouldn't fit on the table. Then there is the famous curry house in Bradford where people travel long distances
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If the famous curry house in Bradford you mentioned is the Kashmir (always known locally as the Kash), I wouldn't bother. It is one of the ones I referred to where all the sauces look and taste exactly the same. It was the first one to open in Bradford and has one virtue only IMO - it is incredibly cheap. We once went there with 6 members of the OH's family and the bill came to £27 for 8 of us. But the food is still rubbish!

On the subject of food served in restaurants not being "authentic", you could say the same of food from many different countries. What is served in Italian restaurants outside of Italy doesn't bear much resemblance to the dishes served within Italy, or how they are eaten - pasta for example is never served as a main dish, but as a separate course between the anti pasti and the main course of meat or fish. Pizzas in Italy are mainly a base with only a thin smear of topping (and I don't think you would ever find pineapple served as a pizza topping in Italy) and pasta is served with only a spoonful of sauce.
I actually prefer it the way those dishes are served outside Italy, what a philistine! Except for spaghetti carbonara - outside Italy it always seems to be made with cream which is horrible.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

If the famous curry house in Bradford you mentioned is the Kashmir (always known locally as the Kash), I wouldn't bother. It is one of the ones I referred to where all the sauces look and taste exactly the same. It was the first one to open in Bradford and has one virtue only IMO - it is incredibly cheap. We once went there with 6 members of the OH's family and the bill came to £27 for 8 of us. But the food is still rubbish!<<SNIP>>
I am not surprised, and they still made 50% profit. how much were the drinks or were they included ??

isnt that the type of situation where dodgy mad cow meat was pushed out to ?
saw tv prog where some guy had warehouse full of chicken carcasses, no climate control and it stunk to high heaven - but he still wanted to ship it to his customers.
a good strong curry can hide anything
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Pizzas in Italy are mainly a base with only a thin smear of topping (and I don't think you would ever find pineapple served as a pizza topping in Italy) .
Suggest pineapple to an Italian chef and I think that you would be guaranteed an instant heart attack.
I have to disagree with you over pizzas in Italy, I love the really thin tasty bases they have there and hate the thick oversalted thick crappy ones sold in the UK.
After travelling in Italy I was surprised at the lack of fresh pasta used and just how expensive decent quality dried pasta is, or was.
You said about pasta being the second course, out of interest one of the best tasing second courses I ever had was lemon juice into a pan heated and mixed with a little parmesan then poured over your choice of pasta. It freshens the mouth perfecly ready for the next course.

Graham
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:54 pm

Suggest pineapple to an Italian chef and I think that you would be guaranteed an instant heart attack.
I have to disagree with you over pizzas in Italy, I love the really thin tasty bases they have there and hate the thick oversalted thick crappy ones sold in the UK.
After travelling in Italy I was surprised at the lack of fresh pasta used and just how expensive decent quality dried pasta is, or was.
You said about pasta being the second course, out of interest one of the best tasing second courses I ever had was lemon juice into a pan heated and mixed with a little parmesan then poured over your choice of pasta. It freshens the mouth perfecly ready for the next course.

Graham
Dr Oetker = a currently well selling and much advertised pizza in the Uk but made in.............
Germany
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Graham
Yes, In my opinion the best pizzas come from.......Italy, no surprise.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Domino
Dr Oetker = a currently well selling and much advertised pizza in the Uk but made in.............
Germany
Sorry what does that have to do with my post.

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.