Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Shopping on line spain

Shopping on line spain

Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shopping on line spain

Spanish on line shopping doesn't really exist does it, I'm told it's a cultural thing and a fear of using credit cards on line.
The ones there are seem to be as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Media Markt (the equivalent to Currys) don't list prices so I emailed them for a price and the reply was we don't give out prices So you have to go to the store...what's the point in a web site
I would also warn folk not to use Pixmania es or Red Coon.
This may not be a problem for some but if you live in the sticks it's a pain in the *&^%$.
Is there a site I have missed? Oh for an Amazon es
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

sammy21 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shopping on line spain

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Spanish on line shopping doesn't really exist does it, I'm told it's a cultural thing and a fear of using credit cards on line.
The ones there are seem to be as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Media Markt (the equivalent to Currys) don't list prices so I emailed them for a price and the reply was we don't give out prices So you have to go to the store...what's the point in a web site
This may not be a problem for some but if you live in the sticks it's a pain in the *&^%$.
yeah i agree. i end up buying on amazon uk, media makt really pisses me off not putting prices on. of course there is ebay...but the spain site i find less stuff on it. end up having to order from the uk. and when will ikea take online orders??
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd heard it was more because people didn't trust the postal system?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

sammy21 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
i find the postal system here better then uk. the post man actually bring a package rather then just the card saying you were out (even if you were in) and need to pick up from the office.
but i agree i think its the credit card online issue. many ppl i know here won´t buy online.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammy21
i find the postal system here better then uk. the post man actually bring a package
The only bit of online shopping I've done in SPain was for a new SIM. Since these have to be not only signed for, but have your NIE or passport number recorded at the time of receipt, the postie delivered this in person.
Details: I ordered the SIM online on a thursday afternoon. The site reckoned on 2-4 working days for delivery. The postman drove right up to my house (first. time. ever.) on the saturday lunchtime (well, 1p.m.) to deliver it. Shipping cost for the express package was €3.95
Since I don't have a letterbox, or buzon, or house number, or road name, I generally go into the village once per visit and collect the pile of bank statements and Endesa invoices that accumulates. So I was fully expecting to have to go to the Correos to pick up this package, too.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Our Postie is very consistent
She walks past our house every day and deposits mail for all and sundry in our box, except for ourselves.
On the last Friday of each month she then deposits mail for us, some three or four months old

Christmas she rang the bell and waited for her tip.

She did not appreciate the tip I gave her.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

SOLGIRL is an unknown quantity at this point

Media Markt (the equivalent to Currys) don't list prices so I emailed them for a price and the reply was we don't give out prices
As far as I understand Media Markt stores are franchised and different prices therefore apply in each store.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
tip.

She did not appreciate the tip I gave her.
Dont be expecting an increase in future level of service then
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have used online shopping in Spain many times for items as diverse as a pastry cutter, a knife sharpener an electric blanket and a large TV. I have also ordered PC bits from a number of online suppliers with no problems.

There are loads and loads of online shopping sites for every conceivable product and credit cards are always accepted - most also now accept PayPal.

No problems at all, fast response times and good pre/after sales service.

There are also load of price comparison websites giving direct links to the vendor's site. Try www.Kelkoo.es or www.Ciao.es. They also give seller feedback.

They almost always use couriers rather than Correos and the service is excellent. Typical delivery charge is €10 for next day delivery.

I ordered a 40" TV from a company on the border with France at 4.30pm. It was delivered at 2.30pm next day on the south coast.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy online at fnac or elcorteingles very easily. And of course at all the Spanish airline and hotel companies etc

You're generaly correct, the Spanish are wary of giving their card details online and they like the experience of talking face to face with a shop attendent when making a purchase.

Online purchasing is catching on in Spain though. It has taken a bit longer because I find Spanish people are not so price sensitive. British people will do anything for a bargain! So took to online purchasing naturally.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You're generaly correct, the Spanish are wary of giving their card details
Which is probably why most sites offer a COD option - something that has died out in the UK.

Also a bank transfer option is quite common, again something unheard of in the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I have used online shopping in Spain many times for items as diverse as a pastry cutter, a knife sharpener an electric blanket and a large TV. I have also ordered PC bits from a number of online suppliers with no problems.
There are loads and loads of online shopping sites for every conceivable product and credit cards are always accepted - most also now accept PayPal.
Would it be against site policy to allow you to give us a list as you seem to be the only one who has this ability to find these sites
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be against site policy to allow you to give us a list as you seem to be the only one who has this ability to find these sites
Big tip guys, use google.es and write in Spanish rather than in English!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
Big tip guys, use google.es and write in Spanish rather than in English!
I do, doesn't help me though
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:54 pm

I do, doesn't help me though
You're not trying hard enough

I found everything via Google. As I said before, Kelkoo and Ciao usually come up with a decent selection of online shops.

Amongst others, I have used

http://www.ofertahogar.com/
http://electroprecio.es/
http://www.cocineros.info/mundial/home.php
http://www.cristaleriasgarcia.com/
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/home.html
http://www.alternate.es/html/index.html

Not forgetting that Amazon UK now ship most things to Spain at very low shipping rates.

If you want really cheap printer ink try http://www.inkredible.co.uk/ they ship to Spain postage free and, unlike Play.com, don't increase the price by charging you in Euros at a bad rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.