Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

shock to the system!!

shock to the system!!

Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default shock to the system!!

As some of you know we have spanish kids (learning english) who attend a local language school stay with us in the summer - part of the 'experience' is that they live with an english family for the 2/3 weeks, partly to speak english 'as it is spoke', and partly to experience an 'english' lifestyle.

We're not terribly 'english' any more, but we do speak english in the house, and sometimes eat 'english' food such as cottage pie (and curry!). I make an effort to do something typically english at least once during their stay.

We have 4 lads aged 11/12 with us at the moment - they arrived on Sunday, 2 from Madrid, 2 from Xativa. From experience we know that kids from Madrid have the reputation of being 'pijo' (snobs) among the other kids, and one little boy did seem to be (literally) looking down his nose at dinner on Sunday!

Because there are 8 of us & no dishwasher, we decided that all the kids (including my older dd - the younger one helps set the table) would take a turn drying the dishes every night, which comes down to about once a week each.

We start oldest to youngest, and little 'nose in the air' is the oldest so went first last night. From my position in the naya I could hear dh trying to show him what to do & then eventually managing to get him 'chatting'.

dh do you help like this at home?

sb (spanish boy) no

dh do you help your mother at all?

sb no

dh do you tidy your own room at home? (a school rule is that they have to make their own bed & keep their room tidy)

sb no

dh so your mother works all day & then does everything for you at home?

sb no......we have maid...........she cook, clean, wash clothes, everything...we do nothing

sort of explains why he didn't quite know what to do when I said 'help yourself' at breakfast, and he just sat there waiting to be served....................he couldn't even manage to open a cereal packet and pour it into a bowl!

dh asked him if he might help a bit when he got home.....he said 'no - I don't like......it is maid's job' . Dh told him that we have to do a lot of things we don't like in our lives - sb said 'not in my life!'

this boy is getting such a culture shock coming to us!

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 17th 2007 at 5:47 am.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:17 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shock to the system!!

Originally Posted by lynnxa
As some of you know we have spanish kids (learning english) who attend a local language school stay with us in the summer - part of the 'experience' is that they live with an english family for the 2/3 weeks, partly to speak english 'as it is spoke', and partly to experience an 'english' lifestyle.

We're not terribly 'english' any more, but we do speak english in the house, and sometimes eat 'english' food such as cottage pie (and curry!). I make an effort to do something typically english at least once during their stay.

We have 4 lads aged 11/12 with us at the moment - they arrived on Sunday, 2 from Madrid, 2 from Xativa. From experience we know that kids from Madrid have the reputation of being 'pijo' (snobs) among the other kids, and one little boy did seem to be (literally) looking down his nose at dinner on Sunday!

Because there are 8 of us & no dishwasher, we decided that all the kids (including my older dd - the younger one helps set the table) would take a turn drying the dishes every night, which comes down to about once a week each.

We start oldest to youngest, and little 'nose in the air' is the oldest so went first last night. From my position in the naya I could hear dh trying to show him what to do & then eventually managing to get him 'chatting'.

dh do you help like this at home?

sb (spanish boy) no

dh do you help your mother at all?

sb no

dh do you tidy your own room at home? (a school rule is that they have to make their own bed & keep their room tidy)

sb no

dh so your mother works all day & then does everything for you at home?

sb no......we have maid...........she cook, clean, wash clothes, everything...we do nothing

sort of explains why he didn't quite know what to do when I said 'help yourself' at breakfast, and he just sat there waiting to be served....................he couldn't even manage to open a cereal packet and pour it into a bowl!

dh asked him if he might help a bit when he got home.....he said 'no - I don't like......it is maid's job' . Dh told him that we have to do a lot of things we don't like in our lives - sb said 'not in my life!'

this boy is getting such a culture shock coming to us!
My god Lynnxa - does the maid have to wipe his arse as well - you know i cant believe in this day and age that this still goes on - just lets pity the poor person who eventually has to marry this very unreal little boy because they may not be able to afford a maid themselves - of course silly me mummy and daddy will probably pay for it for him - awww bless he doesnt have to worry then does he - what a sad little life some people have - i enjoy having my arm up the u-bend nothing more exillerating ..........dam wheres the maid
Love Sam
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:51 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

sounds like my ex husband and his mum!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:02 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like my OH!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:08 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's fully justified.

Infact, him and your lads should've retired to the terrace with some chocolate cigars and a glass of finest Vimto following their meal.

Certainly not washing and drying dishes in the kitchen.

All that stuff is women's work.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
I think he's fully justified.

Infact, him and your lads should've retired to the terrace with some chocolate cigars and a glass of finest Vimto following their meal.

Certainly not washing and drying dishes in the kitchen.

All that stuff is women's work.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:15 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

of course I don't agree with what he said....
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
of course I don't agree with what he said....
course you don't
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
My god Lynnxa - does the maid have to wipe his arse as well - you know i cant believe in this day and age that this still goes on - just lets pity the poor person who eventually has to marry this very unreal little boy because they may not be able to afford a maid themselves - of course silly me mummy and daddy will probably pay for it for him - awww bless he doesnt have to worry then does he - what a sad little life some people have - i enjoy having my arm up the u-bend nothing more exillerating ..........dam wheres the maid
Love Sam
hopefully she taught him that before he came................

mind you, there was a funny smell at the breakfast table this morning
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:25 am
Straw Man.

course you don't
I would love to but since my OH doesn't cook, clean or do the washing I cant really can I?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I would love to but since my OH doesn't cook, clean or do the washing I cant really can I?
doesn't or can't??

send her here for a 'holiday'.........she'll soon learn!!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:30 am
Straw Man.

doesn't or can't??

send her here for a 'holiday'.........she'll soon learn!!
Bet she wont, young girls today, just don't want to learn.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Bet she wont, young girls today, just don't want to learn.
but remember I told you...........I love a challenge!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

God what a twit he sounds! I made sure that I taught both my boys to cook, clean , iron etc. Probably due to the fact that their daddy can't cook or iron

Someone, someday will thank me for my efforts I am sure!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:36 am
Straw Man.

She is all yours!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.