Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

sharing broadband wi fi

sharing broadband wi fi

Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:58 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default sharing broadband wi fi

I have been asked by a part time neighbour and friend if they could use my wi fi broadband. I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing this and if it is legal or not. The signal reaches to their house and I leave my router on 24/7also it is no skin off my nose.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:04 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: sharing broadband wi fi

Originally Posted by me me
I have been asked by a part time neighbour and friend if they could use my wi fi broadband. I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing this and if it is legal or not. The signal reaches to their house and I leave my router on 24/7also it is no skin off my nose.
It is legal but be carefull if you have not got a secure wireless connection. Anyone could use it and if they know what they are doing can hack your computer. On the other hand it is a good way to get your bill down a bit. He is offering to pay i presume
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
It is legal but be carefull if you have not got a secure wireless connection. Anyone could use it and if they know what they are doing can hack your computer. On the other hand it is a good way to get your bill down a bit. He is offering to pay i presume
That is a bit dubious I think unless it is in your own household, I don`t think mr Telefonica would like you to supply their broadband without a special licence.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:00 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
He offered to pay, he is a nice old guy. We do good turns for each other, my OH is hopeless with DIY, Anyway he does not spend much time here, so it seems a bit petty to charge him for something I have been paying for for months.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

The independent service provider I'm currently using insist that the contract is for one computer only. However, there's no real way they can tell. The wireless router is the only address known to the service provider.

If you took a fee from your neighbour then you are undoubtedly leaving yourself open to prosecution mind. Not just for reselling without a licence, but you may also leave yourself open to legal obligations as a service provider yourself (both very unlikely to actually go to court, but...).
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
The independent service provider I'm currently using insist that the contract is for one computer only. However, there's no real way they can tell. The wireless router is the only address known to the service provider.

If you took a fee from your neighbour then you are undoubtedly leaving yourself open to prosecution mind. Not just for reselling without a licence, but you may also leave yourself open to legal obligations as a service provider yourself (both very unlikely to actually go to court, but...).
I am not charging a fee, but we have installed the router using the disc and the password on the underside of the router. As you say though it is very unlikely that there would be a case to answer. Thanks.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Ellan_Vannin is an unknown quantity at this point

If he were to access any websites or download anything that is deemed illegal in Spain it would be registered to your IP address so the authorities would come knocking on your door! I suppose it depends on how much you trust him.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:18 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I am not charging a fee, but we have installed the router using the disc and the password on the underside of the router. As you say though it is very unlikely that there would be a case to answer. Thanks.
Me Me just make sure access to your computer is password protected aside from the password to access the broadband provider. Just hope hes not a paedophile because plod will come after you not him. If you trust him, Then just enjoy the free cabbages from your neighbour. Give him access on the understanding that its him alone not the rest of the village, and to keep it quiet you would be surprised how many jealous people would put the call into telefonica.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jun 30th 2008 at 11:22 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:43 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

well i wont do , but that you so becare full lot good points say here
if it wireless . telefonica dont like you sharing , it happens
but if you hard wire no problem then
jurdy
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:42 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
well i wont do , but that you so becare full lot good points say here
if it wireless . telefonica dont like you sharing , it happens
but if you hard wire no problem then
jurdy
It is NOT illegal to share broadband. In fact, it is very wide spread especially in towns where 'most' broadband connections are 'open'. Simply take a lap top into a town and you'll get VERY good broadband connections almost anywhere.

I repeat, this is NOT illegal - I've checked.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It is NOT illegal to share broadband. In fact, it is very wide spread especially in towns where 'most' broadband connections are 'open'. Simply take a lap top into a town and you'll get VERY good broadband connections almost anywhere.

Well, it is illegal to share a WiFi link without permission in the UK. People have been arrested for it.

Quote from the BBC:-

Is stealing wireless wrong?

The Communications Act 2003 says a "person who (a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and (b) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service, is guilty of an offence".
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:16 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fred James
Well, it is illegal to share a WiFi link without permission in the UK. People have been arrested for it.

Quote from the BBC:-

Is stealing wireless wrong?

The Communications Act 2003 says a "person who (a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and (b) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service, is guilty of an offence".

The words dishonest .... and intent would have to be proved with hard evidence that he was dishonest and he was intent on evading a charge/cost.For a charge of this nature to stick and I think old pedro would be on a winner and no case to answer here looking at the brief. This area is a minefield to be honest meme I know it sounds mean, But to be on the safe side I would not allow the old chap to use my system, Make sure its well password protected just in case he tries. The last thing you want here is to be struck off and you not have any telephone/internet service. Looking back at the waiting list and trouble people have getting though and getting a service from telefonica once obtained I would protect it.You do not have to fall out with the man give him any bull, You can always offer him the use of your computer should he need to send anything urgent. But share.....Leave well alone. Lunchtimeobooze news at 10 bong

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jul 1st 2008 at 9:24 am.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

It sure is illegal, phone telefonica and tell them you live in a block of apartments and you are going to let the other tenants use your BB.
Cafe Hotspots etc have a special licence from Telefonica.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:21 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

If you trust him do it. We sometimes need to log on to work in the UK when in Spain, and use our Spanish neighbour's wi-fi. He has no problems, even lent us his lap top as it was configured better. Log in to work using secure ID, acess files, write reports and send them over. Never a problem. A bottle of Scotch pleases him.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It sure is illegal, phone telefonica and tell them you live in a block of apartments and you are going to let the other tenants use your BB.
Cafe Hotspots etc have a special licence from Telefonica.
Maybe it's who you ask at telefonica. I specifically asked them this question;

1) I have broadband in my main house. If I rent out the apartments in my underbuild and the people renting need BB access, would this be OK - Telefonica, he say YES!

2) I asked about 'wireless hotspots' in towns. For example, outside estate agencies where they have failed to secure their BB connection. Telefonica, he say OK not illegal to use this!

Obviously, if the person I spoke to was wrong, then I stand corrected JDR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.