sevilla

Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sevilla

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Not exactly a fair comparison given that one is a completely different language to the other. A bit like saying - following an earler line - "Geordie English is not as far removed from pure Home Counties English as Welsh" .... or even French, or Swahili for that matter.

Valenciano is a dialect of Catalan (just don't shout that too loud in Valencia!!!!), a separate and distinct language from Castilian, but still in the same Latin family - much the same as Italian, Portuguese or Romanian are in the same Latin family, but knowing one of those doesn't necessarily mean you know another.

As for Sevillano accent - strangely, in contrast to other Andalucian accents, they have a habit of over-using the 's' sound, including when it is not warranted. The 'c' and 'z' sound - which should be a bit like our 'th' - always come out as 's'. A perfect example is 'cerveza' which should sound like 'thervetha" (crude, I know but illustrates the point), and does in the rest of Andalucia much like rest of Spain. Yet in Seville comes out as "Servesa".
However, in common with Andalucian accent, Sevillanos do have a habit of 'eating' their words, with many coming out clipped. It is relatively simple to spot a Sevillano in the town where I live as he'll be the only one overpronoucing his 'S'

I have to 'acclimatise' my accent when I visit Madrid as they wouldn't have a clue what I'm saying otherwise!!!!.
absolutely - a completely different language

I find I can read it ok --in fact my daughter is trying to persuade me to read one of the set books she has had this year - she reckons it's my kind of book (a murder mystery) - and looking at it I think I might just give it a try

but to understand it when spoken - that is a completely different matter
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

I've been learning Spanish for over 3 years (albeit in the UK) and I still struggle with understanding the locals when I'm at our house in Chiclana although they usually understand me ok.

I have to 'acclimatise' my accent when I visit Madrid as they wouldn't have a clue what I'm saying otherwise!!!!.
Interestingly, on a recent visit to Madrid I found I could understand the vast majority of what was said to me and conversation was so much easier as a result - perhaps because I learned my Spanish in the UK?

well,thats not good news,cos i have my mind set up on going to sevillla now!and ireally want to learn spanish quickly,great
I'm sure, if you live in a particular area, your ears must adjust to the local dialect and many people say that immersing yourself fully in a language (although not easy) is the only way to learn it properly so to that end Sevilla is perfect as hardly any English is spoken.

You seem determined so Go for it Rich and I wish you all the best!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:53 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
I've been learning Spanish for over 3 years (albeit in the UK) and I still struggle with understanding the locals when I'm at our house in Chiclana although they usually understand me ok.

Interestingly, on a recent visit to Madrid I found I could understand the vast majority of what was said to me and conversation was so much easier as a result - perhaps because I learned my Spanish in the UK?

I'm sure, if you live in a particular area, your ears must adjust to the local dialect and many people say that immersing yourself fully in a language (although not easy) is the only way to learn it properly so to that end Sevilla is perfect as hardly any English is spoken.

You seem determined so Go for it Rich and I wish you all the best!

If a major city is the preferred destination, as much as I love Seville, you might be better off in Madrid for two main reasons:

1. Despite some quirks, it is fairly accentless. Its proximity to Valladolid in the Castilla region - recognised as having the purest form of Spanish - has had a knock on effect and the two accents are very similar.

2. Seville is a more tourist destination than Madrid is and you are more likely to encounter English - or people able to speak English - there than in Madrid. Going about your day to day business in Madrid would put you in many situations where English won't rescue you - negotiating the vast Metro network, going to the bank, ordering lunch etc. Right in the tourist centre around Sol and Plaza Mayor, you will encounter some people with English skills but it is more likely that you wouldn't be living or studying in this area

When you do come here, a good way to get you started is to get hold of a copy of the daily paper, attempt to read the story, then get a copy of an English one, find the same story and see how much of it you got. Doing this on a regular basis will vastly improve your vocabulary whilst the course gives you the bones of the language through the grammar.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RICH3105
hi jerez,im prob going to go with LINC ,or DON QIEJO,they seem the ones that can start this month,do u knowv them?how was ther course,very hard?i am a complete beginner
Hi, yes I am familiar with LINC (just up the road from CLIC) and I think you mean Don Quijote for the other. I've just remembered a fourth one too - Cactus Language Learning.

Anyway I got all their catalogues when i was doing my research for a course like you. I can't remember what made me ultimately decided that CLIC was for me, but I think that they are all much of a muchness. they all offer the intensive courses and cost about the same.

I wouldn't say that the course was hard, although i would make sure that you attend ALL classes and do all your homework as you will very quickly fall behind if you don't and it is an uphill struggle from there.

I had a really fantastic time and made quite a few friends through CLIC. I'm sure you'll love it too.