Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Setting up shop

Setting up shop

Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

mothershaboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up shop

Hi, this is my first forum post so bear with me. My wife and I are considering setting up Business in the Alicante area possibly. While the Restaurant/Bar business is the much travelled route and one we would be comfortable with, I believe the market is already very crowded. We are open minded and pretty much willing to turn our hands to anything, I was just wondering if anyone could give us a heads up on services that may be needed by the expat community other than Booze and Food
My wife has experience in Elderly care work and I have experience in Building & bar work.
Any input appreciated
Rich
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up shop

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mothershaboo
Hi, this is my first forum post so bear with me. My wife and I are considering setting up Business in the Alicante area possibly. While the Restaurant/Bar business is the much travelled route and one we would be comfortable with, I believe the market is already very crowded. We are open minded and pretty much willing to turn our hands to anything, I was just wondering if anyone could give us a heads up on services that may be needed by the expat community other than Booze and Food
My wife has experience in Elderly care work and I have experience in Building & bar work.
Any input appreciated
Rich
If only people knew the answer > Well I am sure they would be doing it already.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

We had a handyman who could repair domestic machines, get spares etc
I imagine there would be a great demand for this in ex pat communities.
People throw out things that could be mended,such a waste.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

True but doesn't really fit with their skillsets.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Not what you want to hear but unless you can support yourselves without working don't do it.
Pretty much everything that may be needed by the expat community has been done to death.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
True but doesn't really fit with their skillsets.
They just need to reinvent themselves like most working Brits do.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

mothershaboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, I'm aware a lot of services are being done to death and the market is crowded but its all part of the research before we head out. We'll have a good amount of capital and just want to get it right first time.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mothershaboo
Thanks for the replies, I'm aware a lot of services are being done to death and the market is crowded but its all part of the research before we head out. We'll have a good amount of capital and just want to get it right first time.
Then Id stick to what you know, usually I would never be negative about opening a business in Spain, there is only a select few of us that are positive about that kind of thing and I am for sure usually one of them, but I felt I had to post my earlier comment regardless.

Have a think what you want to do or come out and have a look, look in the papers see what advertises a lot, what does not ?