Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

sending things to the uk

sending things to the uk

Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default sending things to the uk

do you find posting things to the uk with correos horrifically expensive?

i was wondering if there are any tricks/companies/whatever i might be unaware of, like in the uk they do that parcel fee thing with royal mail, or for example my brother's gf who is bulgarian uses this really cheap company to post things there.

i am not talking huge packages, for example last time i sent something around 300grams heavy and it was 8euros

thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:22 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sending things to the uk

Originally Posted by featherbum
do you find posting things to the uk with correos horrifically expensive?

i was wondering if there are any tricks/companies/whatever i might be unaware of, like in the uk they do that parcel fee thing with royal mail, or for example my brother's gf who is bulgarian uses this really cheap company to post things there.

i am not talking huge packages, for example last time i sent something around 300grams heavy and it was 8euros

thanks in advance!
Can't help featherbum, just wanted to say that I agree with you I sent christmas cards that were 14cm x 14cm and they cost E1.07 each as they were 5 cm to high to qualify for the cheaper postage. Also I needed a mortgage when I posted a book to the USA. By the way did you cook your yorkshire puddings if so how were they
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
Can't help featherbum, just wanted to say that I agree with you I sent christmas cards that were 14cm x 14cm and they cost E1.07 each as they were 5 cm to high to qualify for the cheaper postage. Also I needed a mortgage when I posted a book to the USA. By the way did you cook your yorkshire puddings if so how were they
just went to the correos website and seems like the cheapest options are the horrifically expensive ones we already know about. ah well, what can you do

ah, my roast dinner, i was worried someone would ask the chicken was good... the roast potatoes were lovely and crispy...the gravy cheat (courtesy of a friend who lives in the uk) was good... and the yorks puddings... well put it this way, i have seen pancakes HIGHER than them i swear i followed the recipe exactly as i was told here (was it you that gave me the recipe? i emailed it to myself and cut out the name of the person who gave it to me!). anyway, i just DONT GET IT...! what am i doing wrong??
xxx
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

What recipe are you using?

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/y...ng,745,RC.html

I did this Chrissy Day and my MiL was well impressed.

Parcels....this is UK elsewhere but it may help...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...#international
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G586

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/y...ng,745,RC.html

I did this Chrissy Day and my MiL was well impressed.

Parcels....this is UK elsewhere but it may help...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...#international
i used crispy's recipe (not blaming you crispy LOL), and have used others in the past- even packet mix and nothing LOL! i am a pretty good cook i think as i really enjoy it, maybe you just have to be english to achieve yorks puddings!
thanks for delia's link, gonna try again tomorrow and let you know!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:37 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=G586;7105057]What recipe are you using?

SKY High Yorkies Below. Cooked by a Northern lad. Never Never Open The Oven Door During Cooking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0yF...eature=related

Or James Martin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVl6Bh3l6EI&NR=1

Last edited by poshnbucks; Dec 29th 2008 at 1:33 am.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:11 pm

i used crispy's recipe (not blaming you crispy LOL), and have used others in the past- even packet mix and nothing LOL! i am a pretty good cook i think as i really enjoy it, maybe you just have to be english to achieve yorks puddings!
thanks for delia's link, gonna try again tomorrow and let you know!
Featherbum I have to say that when I first moved to Spain my yorkshires were dreadful and the only thing I could think of was the flour was not right, I am lucky here as the local Supersol stocks small bags of Homepride flour and once I started using that they were back to normal again. Don't give up, try again and again one day you will get puka yourshire puds I promise you
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=poshnbucks;7105364]
Originally Posted by G586

SKY High Yorkies Below. Cooked by a Northern lad. Never Never Open The Oven Door During Cooking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0yF...eature=related

Or James Martin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVl6Bh3l6EI&NR=1

Ok tomorrow i am making the sky high ones, and gonna prepare the batter tonight- i am on a mission, and will make yorks puddins everynight till i achieve them- failure in the kitchen is not an option! (do i sound like every feminist's nightmare?)
thanks!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=featherbum;7106923]
Originally Posted by poshnbucks

Ok tomorrow i am making the sky high ones, and gonna prepare the batter tonight- i am on a mission, and will make yorks puddins everynight till i achieve them- failure in the kitchen is not an option! (do i sound like every feminist's nightmare?)
thanks!
Plain flour apparently.

The more egg, the higher they rise but basically follow the recipe. Very hot oil in the pan before you pour the batter in.

It probably is the flour if it doesn't work.

Good luck!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:27 pm

[QUOTE=G586;7108220]

Plain flour apparently.

The more egg, the higher they rise but basically follow the recipe. Very hot oil in the pan before you pour the batter in.

It probably is the flour if it doesn't work.

Good luck!
Pretty sure it's the flour, plus the fact she's a newbee yorkshire puddng maker, took me years to perfect them. I am married to the best yorkshire pudding makerin history, he cooks a mean roast dinner
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

do you mean i must or mustnt use plain flour? i used some normal plain spanish flour....!
xx
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Use plain flour....I've been making YP for years and only just found this out.

It's a bit like scones & bread, something that comes with patience and practice.

buena suerte!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:04 pm

do you mean i must or mustnt use plain flour? i used some normal plain spanish flour....!
xx
Hubby was a cook in a previous life it MUST be plain flour, add a little fizzy water instead of all milk.