Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sending money through post?

Sending money through post?

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Estrella blanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending money through post?

Hi. I am the same person who a few days ago panicked about not being able to exchange my northern irish pounds into euros here in granada.. Well, the story continues, 'cos the same bank that could exchange them yesterday, now suddenly cannot do so any longer. I spoke to my bank in Northern Ireland, the same bank that issued those bl... banknotes and was told if I send the notes to them through registered post, they would lodge that amount onto my debit card. I thought "great". Went to the correo. Was told no es possible, 'cos by law spanish post cannot send cash anywhere and there is no way I could send those same notes out of the country, short of carrying them on my person across the border. Now I am thinking: 1. send them anyway and risk (policia, possibly worse), 2. open a bank account here, pay the opening charge, have everything exchanged in euros just when the pound is gaining on value. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr... am really angry...
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money through post?

Originally Posted by Estrella blanca
Hi. I am the same person who a few days ago panicked about not being able to exchange my northern irish pounds into euros here in granada.. Well, the story continues, 'cos the same bank that could exchange them yesterday, now suddenly cannot do so any longer. I spoke to my bank in Northern Ireland, the same bank that issued those bl... banknotes and was told if I send the notes to them through registered post, they would lodge that amount onto my debit card. I thought "great". Went to the correo. Was told no es possible, 'cos by law spanish post cannot send cash anywhere and there is no way I could send those same notes out of the country, short of carrying them on my person across the border. Now I am thinking: 1. send them anyway and risk (policia, possibly worse), 2. open a bank account here, pay the opening charge, have everything exchanged in euros just when the pound is gaining on value. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr... am really angry...
Put them in your bag, get a cheap Cryanair flight midweek and take them back.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Stigey is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't post money into or out of Spain period, it will be taken from you by the Spanish Authority. Money laundering is big business thanks to a lot of European drug dealers etc. legging it to Spain.

Last edited by Stigey; Feb 4th 2010 at 8:19 am. Reason: More Info.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

... and was told if I send the notes to them through registered post, they would lodge that amount onto my debit card. I thought "great". Went to the correo. Was told no es possible, 'cos by law spanish post cannot send cash ...
Well, I don't know the law on this, but most (all?) couriers will flat refuse to transport cash. The reason is simple: it increases the risk to all their packages of getting stolen. Every courier loses a few packages to theft. If the thieves find something as readily usable as banknotes, they will be encouraged to steal more. Especially as they know that (as a rule) couriers prohibit this. If all they steal turns out to be things that are hard to convert into cash, like cuddly toys, books etc. they have less incentive to steal them and will turn their attentions elsewhere. It's all about removing the temptation from their employees.
Plus (of course) it probably falls foul of money laundering laws: who can tell if a package contains more than the legally permitted amount of un-notified cash you can take in/out of a country? €500 notes are surprisingly compact.

P.S. can't you find a branch of a british bank (Barclays?) anywhere that would be more receptive. Though as you say, if you're not a customer, it would be hard to see why they should go to the trouble of helping you.

Last edited by pete_l; Feb 4th 2010 at 8:15 am.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

EB,
I did say every day was an adventure here
First I can't believe Caixa won't change any more notes, maybe try a different branch of Caixa.
I can see what folk are saying about cash in post but we have sent cash in post for years and it's been OK, I guess it all depends on how much cash we are talking about?
Basically you could send it but you would have to take your chances with being caught out (slim chance) or it going missing. If it was certified you could claim for it but you would have to claim it as something else to the equivalent value.
Don't suppose bureau de change, maybe at airport would do it?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said before, have a day out in Gibraltar.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:04 am
Just Joined

hello tm

Were you sending internally or in/out of the country. Its just I was stung a few years ago and I know that now the Irish post office advise you that they won't cover cash going into Spain.

D.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Hi folks. Yes, I've decided not to post it anywhere cos I really cannot risk - it is all I have. I couldn't do absolutely nothing if an employee (either at spanish correo or at the bank in Ireland) steals it. No no. Yes.. I'll open a bank account, la Caixa would change them but I would need to pay them 50 euros just to open the account and I think they want to take advantage of me so, no. Caja Mar (went there on johncar's advice) wouldn't change them even if i open an account. But Caja General de Ahorros would change them without being their client, but I think it all depends on the employee at the spot at that moment. Going to Gibraltar would cost cca 60-70 euros.

I'll be ok, thanks for your replies, it feels great to be able to complain a little bit. Spain is like a hybrid between Italy and Mexico... I think what is happening now is the Mexican side of the Spanish costumbres.... Hasta luego a todos... (sure there will be still lots to complain about hehe)
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Better safe than sorry eah................
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks. Yes, I've decided not to post it anywhere cos I really cannot risk - it is all I have. I couldn't do absolutely nothing if an employee (either at spanish correo or at the bank in Ireland) steals it. No no. Yes.. I'll open a bank account, la Caixa would change them but I would need to pay them 50 euros just to open the account and I think they want to take advantage of me so, no. Caja Mar (went there on johncar's advice) wouldn't change them even if i open an account. But Caja General de Ahorros would change them without being their client, but I think it all depends on the employee at the spot at that moment. Going to Gibraltar would cost cca 60-70 euros.

I'll be ok, thanks for your replies, it feels great to be able to complain a little bit. Spain is like a hybrid between Italy and Mexico... I think what is happening now is the Mexican side of the Spanish costumbres.... Hasta luego a todos... (sure there will be still lots to complain about hehe)
So why didn`t you do it?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:43 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you try a bureau de change. There must be a few in Granada?

Don't you have a debit card from your irish bank, which you can use?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:27 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pete_l

P.S. can't you find a branch of a British bank (Barclay's?) anywhere that would be more receptive. Though as you say, if you're not a customer, it would be hard to see why they should go to the trouble of helping you.

Barclay's Spain is not Barclay's UK.

I thought that Gibraltar would be the answer. I just called the Norwich and Peterborough Building Soc, they said they would not change Bank Of Ireland Notes.

I just called Caja Mar,they say if you have an account they will accept them. To open an account you will need a Cert of Non Residence, apparently that is 15€ from the police.

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 4th 2010 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johncar61
Barclay's Spain is not Barclay's UK.

I thought that Gibraltar would be the answer. I just called the Norwich and Peterborough Building Soc, they said they would not change Bank Of Ireland Notes.

I just called Caja Mar,they say if you have an account they will accept them. To open an account you will need a Cert of Non Residence, apparently that is 15€ from the police.
So what are you waiting for ? youve said Caja General de Ahorros would change it ? and if 15 euro is to much for you fora Cert of Non Residence I think you are wasting every ones time on this forum.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Johncar, that is a great tip you gave me (about caja mar), i'll do that tomorrow. Rotor, you are right too, I was just hoping to hold on to pounds and just change as much as I need for everyday expenses, but with so much hassle i really cannot afford to hesitate. I'll keep quiet from now on... you guys have already been very helpful, thank you very much.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is like a hybrid between Italy and Mexico... I think what is happening now is the Mexican side of the Spanish costumbres.... Hasta luego a todos... (sure there will be still lots to complain about hehe)
You say that based on that you can't change Bank of Ireland notes in Spain?

Quite a statement, you could go far with sweeping statements like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.