Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Selling a RHD Car

Selling a RHD Car

Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:10 pm
MrsB

Default Selling a RHD Car

I have a 3 year old Citroen C3 and have had it here on the Costa del sol for the past 11 months, I now wish to sell it, it has Uk plates. I am having trouble finding out information on where on the Coast may buy RHD cars. If anybody knows of somewhere then any help would be much appreciated.

Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice
Default Re: Selling a RHD Car

Originally Posted by MrsB
I have a 3 year old Citroen C3 and have had it here on the Costa del sol for the past 11 months, I now wish to sell it, it has Uk plates. I am having trouble finding out information on where on the Coast may buy RHD cars. If anybody knows of somewhere then any help would be much appreciated.
Try advertising in the Spanish English press? Costa del Sol News, or similar.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read over the last months its my impression thet RHD cars won't sell very well at all in Spain.
If you advertise it in an online Brit paper you might get someone who is returning to the UK that may be interested, but I don't think you'll get much for it I'm afraid
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

We took ours back to the UK when we were visiting and sold it to a 2nd hand car dealer during the time we were there. I had to nip down the bank with a bag of cash to deposit it. Probably not the best price, but it saved an awful lot of hassle. Instead of driving back via ferry, we flew. Backup plan was to get the brother-in-law to sell it for us, but that would have been more hassle, probably at a reduced price.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:02 pm
MrsB

That is what I thought but thanks anyway

Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mrsB

I totally agree with the others, you will get more money back in the UK, rhd just do not sell here, you would recoup your expenses by taking it back with the money you will get.

We did exactly that with a friends car that they asked us to drive back for them, they have sold it for far more than they were offered here, a paltry 1200 euro's. It was a Mercedes is excellent condition and only 8 years old
pwwm
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i´ve just sold my english plated car, but how do i go about the paperwork when the guy doesn´t have an english address ?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have serious problems, it has been here for more than 6 months, still on an English plate so it is illegal, a car must be re-registered if it has been in Spain for more than 6 months. No serious used car place will touch it as they could be in serious trouble if they are caught. Is it still in tax? UK insurance will be illegal by now, and Spanish insurance on an english plated car is illegal, even though they may sell you insurance, it isn't worth the paper it's printed on. There have been several threads on this recently, mainly due to the clamp down on english registered cars over here. The police are on the look out for them, especially if they do not have valid tax discs.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:55 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You are going to have serious problems, it has been here for more than 6 months, still on an English plate so it is illegal, a car must be re-registered if it has been in Spain for more than 6 months. No serious used car place will touch it as they could be in serious trouble if they are caught. Is it still in tax? UK insurance will be illegal by now, and Spanish insurance on an english plated car is illegal, even though they may sell you insurance, it isn't worth the paper it's printed on. There have been several threads on this recently, mainly due to the clamp down on english registered cars over here. The police are on the look out for them, especially if they do not have valid tax discs.
Hence the reason mine is locked up and covered
If I was to sell it, it certainly wouldn't be in Spain, the only way is to transport it back to mainland UK and sell it there.

It was dodgy 2 years ago and as you say with the latest clamp down (which was always on the cards) it just aint worth the hassle.