Reload this Page >

self employed uk but working in spain

self employed uk but working in spain

Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:48 am
Just Joined

roo32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default self employed uk but working in spain

Hi,
I divide my time living in spain and the uk. i work as a photographer and am looking at becoming self empoyed. i really want to avoid going autonomo as i believe the system here is very unfair and does not encourage new business or freelancers like myself.
i am not officailly regestered in spain but i have a nie.
if i was to become self employed in the uk and pay my taxes etc there. as most of my income is earned in spain am i liable to pay tax in spain as well as the uk? i heard there was a law in the uk that protected you paying tax twice. however i heard that if i earn the money in spain i need to pay tax here..
i am finding it impossible to get the correct information! can anyone please help with any advice etc. help i am really confused
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:28 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: self employed uk but working in spain

You are free to travel and work anywhere in the EU but you are not permitted to choose where you are resident.

If you spend 183 days or more in Spain you are required to become resident and pay taxes on all your income wherever it was earned.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

And if you are resident and working in Spain then you must pay the autonomo fees

Autonomo fees are only unfair to those who earn very little money each month. If you earn say over 800 euros per month then no problem
Old Feb 27th 2014, 4:40 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Spend more than 183 days out of Spain, and don't become self employed there, if you want to hang on to more of you money. Easy.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Spend more than 183 days out of Spain, and don't become self employed there, if you want to hang on to more of you money. Easy.
OK, so then you won't be tax resident but remember that any money actually earned in Spain is taxable in Spain, irrespective of tax residency - it's exactly the same rule in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

Benjamin Franklin

considering the number of expats who have to make allowance for taxation both in the UK and Spain probably the best thing is to pay up and look good
especially as you should be charging your customers IVA for your services

however, there are new rules relating to new Autonomo where you don't have to pay the IVA until you have been paid, low rates for the first year or two etc etc, which is claimed to have kick-started a large number of new businesses