Reload this Page >

IN SEARCH OF A BRIGHTER LIFE

IN SEARCH OF A BRIGHTER LIFE

Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:57 am
Just Joined

pauly_james_ta2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking IN SEARCH OF A BRIGHTER LIFE

Hi everyone,

I'm really new to this all this forum malarky, so please go easy on me! I thought it would be a great place to start and gain some good advice as i have been trawling the internet for days and there seems no easy option, so i hope you can help?!

This subject has most probably been covered a million times so i apologise to anyone if you may be bored of a thread like this.

We are a young family 34 & 35 with two children aged 12 & 9 years of age. We are interested in moving to fuertaventura as its been a dream of ours since we first stepped on the island 7 years ago.

We know corralejo is a very tourism based small town but that is what we like.

We are looking for help with pretty much everything;
- Good schools (Top of the list). I know my daughter may have to travel to Lanzarote as there are no english speaking schools, but shes a bright girl so hould pick up the lingo easy enough.
-health services and insurances that will help or we should stay away from.
-Finding out about taxes (i'm self employed) and my wife will be searching for work before we leave as we will be visiting the island a couple of times before we take the plunge. And ive had mixed messages with tax that i should/shouldnt still pay uk tax.
-what to look for\not look for when you are renting properties. ( we are not homeowners but have enough assets and cash to see us through at least 15 months rental and amenities) whilst we work.
-residency documents
-apparently ill have to get a new driving licence?

We do not speak spanish but will learn.

I look forward to hearing from you all with whatever help you could possibly have, as were firing in the dark at the minute.

Thank you all,
Pauly
Old Feb 11th 2019, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IN SEARCH OF A BRIGHTER LIFE

Well first obviously is Brexit. No deal would possibly put pay to the idea unless you had considerable earnings. Second your daughter is too old For second year state schools studies with zero Spanish. It would take her at least 2 years to acquire the level needed for reading texts and writing at the this level of school. She could repeat a year whilst trying to learn but it might be a bit demotivating . Your younger one will be fine. Expect it to take at least 3 to 4 years until you are comfortable with the language. Otherwise good luck
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Given the very high unemployment over there what needed skills do you and your wife have that will land you a job before an out of work local?
Old Feb 11th 2019, 3:38 am
Just Joined

pauly_james_ta2 is an unknown quantity at this point

bob_bob I am a registered tattoo artist and have already made plans to guest at an establishment in corralejo this year to see what the ins and outs of the business are before we make any plans. My wife has a level 2 nvq food hygiene certificate, a level 2 nvq in hospitality and management, and also a level 2 nvq in engineering and metal fabrication.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 3:57 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You can, but do not have to exchange a UK driving license for Spanish.
Good luck with the rest.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the NVQ is recognised in Spain.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish don’t seem so obsessed with having tattoos as the Brits, or at least I rarely see any, apart from Brits on holiday.

To do any catering job you need a Spanish food handling certificate, but I don’t think it is that difficult to get.

Without fluent Spanish, getting a job is going to be a challenge.

Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauly_james_ta2
bob_bob I am a registered tattoo artist and have already made plans to guest at an establishment in corralejo this year to see what the ins and outs of the business are before we make any plans. My wife has a level 2 nvq food hygiene certificate, a level 2 nvq in hospitality and management, and also a level 2 nvq in engineering and metal fabrication.
I assume the establishment will be The Mark .... Tattoo (quick Google). Be aware that this business is also only around since 2015, so not really a long time and there are also other establishments on the island.
How many tattoo studios does a small island like Fuerteventura need? Of course there are many other questions and I would always be careful at your age with kids. There is an interesting programme on German TV called Goodbye Deutschland and the people opening a Tattoo studio fail on a regular basis, although most were mainly Mallorca. Instead of wasting your assets on rental, why not save further in the UK until you really have enough cash, use the time to learn Spanish and then see (when kids finish school). You can still enjoy nice holidays now without the worries.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 3:32 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder how a Spanish child would fare in an English school in the UK if they arrived only knowing the word hello. (?)
Old Feb 13th 2019, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: IN SEARCH OF A BRIGHTER LIFE

Originally Posted by pauly_james_ta2
We all wish for a brighter life and good luck to you but there are several distinct problems with your plan. Firstly the children. Not easy to adjust to the language and the style of teaching and they will suffer academically. Jobs are difficult to find and if you are self employed the Social Security payments every month, plus your rent and living costs will be a lot. Thirdly the Spanish do not recognize many qualifications and they would have to be repeated in Spain and in Spanish. Give it a try if you have the opportunity of a short term job offer but be realistic about the long term prospects. I have seen more people return then ever.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:30 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the biggest problem will be the children. They will find it very difficult in a Spanish school at their ages, particularly the 12 year old, and are very unlikely to come out with any useful qualifications. No doubt some parent will disagree with me, but they will be the exception. If you want them to have a decent schooling, then a decent international school is the only answer, but they are very expensive and the Canaries is going to offer fewer options than the mainland.

You will not have the option to pay UK tax. Any income from anywhere will be taxed in Spain and it is generally higher than in the UK.

Residency - you will have to prove that you have private health care and sufficient financial resources to provide for your family. If you become self employed then you will get health cover, but you will end up paying about €250 each even if you make no money. A No Deal Brexit could make it even more difficult.

Driving licences are not a problem at the moment as you are not obliged to exchange them, but again, after Brexit that could all change.

You say you have always dreamed living in Fuerteventure, presumably based on idyllic holidays in the sun. Sadly, the reality of trying to do that and earn a living at the same time, usually ends up not being idyllic at all. Proceed with caution.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 13th 2019 at 3:43 am.
Old Feb 13th 2019, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you inquired as to the registration and legal requirements of practising as a tatoo artist ?