Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Screaming trees

Screaming trees

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:30 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Screaming trees

Somebody asked me the other day what the insects are called that appear in summertime and make a lot of noise in the trees and I didn't know the answer.

Not the crickets that make the lovely chirp-chirp-chirp noise, but the ones that SCREEEEEEAAAM.!!!!!!

So what are they? cos I want to look up on Google what kills them before I start getting suicidal tendancies.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:34 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Screaming trees

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Somebody asked me the other day what the insects are called that appear in summertime and make a lot of noise in the trees and I didn't know the answer.

Not the crickets that make the lovely chirp-chirp-chirp noise, but the ones that SCREEEEEEAAAM.!!!!!!

So what are they? cos I want to look up on Google what kills them before I start getting suicidal tendancies.
they are great big black ones we had one in the back patio It sounded like some one was being murdered LOL
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:35 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Ps the other half jumped on it and I drounded one NOt had one since AHHHHH famous last words
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:37 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent heard any trees screaming, but will listen out tonight. I hope someone can help you, as you would be very much missed on here if you topped yourself
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:46 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
I havent heard any trees screaming, but will listen out tonight. I hope someone can help you, as you would be very much missed on here if you topped yourself
I'm sure you must have heard them, but you probably mistook them for heavy plant machinery.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

The first year we heard them we thought it was some kind of machine starting up, Had one on our balcony, they seem to make the noise by clicking their back legs together, how does such a small thing make so much noise ????
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:24 pm

I'm sure you must have heard them, but you probably mistook them for heavy plant machinery.
Ha ha, you could be right there
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
The first year we heard them we thought it was some kind of machine starting up, Had one on our balcony, they seem to make the noise by clicking their back legs together, how does such a small thing make so much noise ????
When I 1st heard them I was in almeria with the kids and we thought the noise was coming from the electricity box we were very worried!!! Someone told me what they were called but I've forgotten think it began with S
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

they are cicadas, and the noise comes from the abdomen of the male when he is calling for females to mate.. a rather stupid thing as, once he has found a suitable female and mated..... he dies....
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
they are cicadas, and the noise comes from the abdomen of the male when he is calling for females to mate.. a rather stupid thing as, once he has found a suitable female and mated..... he dies....
Now that is an open invitation for all of the women on the forum to start thinking 'if only'.

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

http://www.chat11.com/Cicada_Recipe

http://www.naturesongs.com/cicada1.wav sound
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Now that is an open invitation for all of the women on the forum to start thinking 'if only'.

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:52 pm
this is me

Originally Posted by mikelincs
my other half thought it was a cock roach I told him is wasnt LOL But like all men he thinks he was right
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:43 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary
Are you a mind reader Rosemary???
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:14 pm
has got a huge member

i just clicked on that third link of yours and that is noooooowhere near loud enough!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.