Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Scottish currency ?

Scottish currency ?

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:44 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scottish currency ?

So they want independence and they also want to keep our currency ?

What's the matter with the Euro you may well ask or maybe a new currency of their own, (maybe they could call it the joc), but no they want to hang on to ours, though most of the rest of the UK would rather they didn't.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:59 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish currency ?

It's just another case of "have your cake and eat it too".

Want complete independence from the UK, don't want to be shackled by the Euro, but want all the benefits of both.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:13 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago they were blabbing they were going to join the Euro I think they don't actually want independence financially, just complete power!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

On the face of it, this is a well-timed attack by the Tories at the Scottish independence movement. Currently public mood is against the Euro (although the pound is far weaker against it than a few years back when it could buy 1.65 euros).
However it is a risky policy, and if the UK economy were to suddenly weaken over the next year (let's hope not) then it may end up helping the Scottish independence case. In the meantime it's going to be very interesting to see how Salmond counters this - he's already been hurt by his previous claim that Scotland could be part of an arc orf prosperity...
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
It's just another case of "have your cake and eat it too".

Want complete independence from the UK, don't want to be shackled by the Euro, but want all the benefits of both.
typical Scots attitude I'm afraid. Seem to think the world owes them a living and don't seem to realise that they couldn't have done it without the rest of the island
and don't seem to understand that all the things they seem to have for free are infact funded from down south.

Scotch is the only good thing that ever came out of Scotland, but it will have been a tight scotsman who came up with the idea of adulterating single malts by merging them and calling them blends.

(and before someone comes along and tries to have a go - I have lived there, worked there and really glad to have left there
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
typical Scots attitude I'm afraid. Seem to think the world owes them a living and don't seem to realise that they couldn't have done it without the rest of the island
and don't seem to understand that all the things they seem to have for free are infact funded from down south.

Scotch is the only good thing that ever came out of Scotland, but it will have been a tight scotsman who came up with the idea of adulterating single malts by merging them and calling them blends.

(and before someone comes along and tries to have a go - I have lived there, worked there and really glad to have left there
Unlike you I really enjoyed my time working there!
I'd quibble with your claim that only 1 good thing came out of Scotland - the number of inventions they are credited with is quite impressive.
I also think that they can make it if they become independent, and if they so wish, like Ireland, they should be given the chance. However I do think it will be a sad day if it happens, the UK is far stronger with the Scots than without them. At this point I think they will vote against, but that's just an opinion, and it's the scots who will decide..
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:57 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
On the face of it, this is a well-timed attack by the Tories at the Scottish independence movement. Currently public mood is against the Euro (although the pound is far weaker against it than a few years back when it could buy 1.65 euros).
However it is a risky policy, and if the UK economy were to suddenly weaken over the next year (let's hope not) then it may end up helping the Scottish independence case. In the meantime it's going to be very interesting to see how Salmond counters this - he's already been hurt by his previous claim that Scotland could be part of an arc orf prosperity...
Correction: The pound really isn't much weaker against most currencies (still around $1.50, for example) , but the Euro is stronger against all currencies due to euphoria over the Euro crisis being "solved", and of course, the inability of the ECB to print more of it, which would be a big boost the struggling economies, but weaken Germany's.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by amideislas
Correction: The pound really isn't much weaker against most currencies (still around $1.50, for example) , but the Euro is stronger against all currencies due to euphoria over the Euro crisis being "solved", and of course, the inability of the ECB to print more of it, which would be a big boost the struggling economies, but weaken Germany's.
I say tomato and you say....
still the same, whether you say it's the pound being weaker against the Euro, or the Euro being stronger against the pound...
Most of us were hoping by now for 1.30 euros for a pound. We can dream..
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
So they want independence and they also want to keep our currency ?

What's the matter with the Euro you may well ask or maybe a new currency of their own, (maybe they could call it the joc), but no they want to hang on to ours, though most of the rest of the UK would rather they didn't.
Yes, saw a bit of George's speech this morning, personally I think if they want to go it alone, let them go, but a total split, not cherry picking which bits they want to hang onto. As Salmond is all for independence, he'd have no problems letting the The Orkneys, Shetlands etc have theirs, they have made it clear they don't want to be part of his dream. That would take a huge chunk of his oil revenues. Normally the Scots that bang on about what a great place it is, do some from distance away, they all seem to have deserted the place.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...the-shetlands/
But the Salmond principle is clear: if a country votes for separation, it should be granted it — together with a ‘geographical share’ of the oil revenues decided by drawing an imaginary border across the North Sea. Using such methods, Salmond is laying claim to 90 per cent of the oil revenue. Were the Orcadians and Shetlanders to do so, then Lerwick (pop 7,000) might well end up as the Dubai of Europe.

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 23rd 2013 at 12:11 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, saw a bit of George's speech this morning, personally I think if they want to go it alone, let them go, but a total split, not cherry picking which bits they want to hang onto. As Salmond is all for independence, he'd have no problems letting the The Orkneys, Shetlands etc have theirs, they have made it clear they don't want to be part of his dream. That would take a huge chunk of his oil revenues. Normally the Scots that bang on about what a great place it is, do some from distance away, they all seem to have deserted the place.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...the-shetlands/
Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the book of a guy called Smith - he demanded Independence and took it. Lock stock and barrel. No little bits here no little bits there.

And look at the state of Rhodesia now
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:16 pm
Banned

I say tomato and you say....
still the same, whether you say it's the pound being weaker against the Euro, or the Euro being stronger against the pound...
Most of us were hoping by now for 1.30 euros for a pound. We can dream..
Well, again, the pound really isn't much weaker. The Euro may be the only currency that matters to you, but it's not the pound that's causing you the stress - it's the Euro. When the Euro crashes, we'll all feel the benefits.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:20 pm

Unlike you I really enjoyed my time working there!
I'd quibble with your claim that only 1 good thing came out of Scotland - the number of inventions they are credited with is quite impressive.
I also think that they can make it if they become independent, and if they so wish, like Ireland, they should be given the chance. However I do think it will be a sad day if it happens, the UK is far stronger with the Scots than without them. At this point I think they will vote against, but that's just an opinion, and it's the scots who will decide..
It rained on the day I arrived, it rained on the day I left, and it rained most days inbetween. 18months of purgatory, compounded by 10pm closing, closed on Sundays.
On the bright side, I used to enjoy haggis and chips on the way home.

It is still the Lothian question though. They Scots are still deciding what happens south of the border and those from the south can't decide what happens in the north.

Perhaps out of this England will get its own parliament, as we used to have, with our own Navy and Army, only hiring Scots under mercenary terms.
I believe it would make England stronger, more in control of her destiny.
Perhaps Scotland will renew its troubled relationship with France, who really only provided them with a home from home in France, not doing much for them at all.

So yes, lets wind the clock back a few hundred years, and whilst they all relearn how to use a kilt we can go around in frilly napkins around ankles, wrists and neck.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Makes my blood boil.

IF Scotland got independence then they would have to take the euro in my book. Plus their share of the national debt plus pay back the settlement (my guess at todays prices about £100billion). I would also use prisoners to rebuild Hadrians Wall.

The whole thing is just outrageous on so many counts. I would reopen the traitors gate and hang Salmond. Why isn't the whole UK populous being asked to vote.

The Scots have contributed a lot to Britain over the years. Looking at wars, many lost their lives fighting for the good not of Scotland but of Great Britain.

Fortunately Scotland will never become independent because of Trident and its successor. Like it or not, it is absolutely vital to Britains future security particularly in view of the populace desiring less to do with an integrated Europe and its wimpish security policy. The crowning issue is the total lack of an alternative UK base especially for the suitable storage of nuclear weapons.

Really it is all just about a gravy train for the pro campaigners.

Still boiling!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I'm being dim but what exactly is people's objection to them keeping the pound?

The Irish pound (punt) was pegged to sterling after Ireland became independent, and lasted for years, until Ireland joined the European exchange rate mechanism.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Sorry if I'm being dim but what exactly is people's objection to them keeping the pound?
If they keep the pound and it is pegged to the English pound then you will end up with the Germany/Greece/Portugal/Spain imbalance problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.