Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:40 am
Just Joined

alan 2471000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools

moving to ontinyent very soon and need more info on putting my son in school
hes 2 and a half
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schools

Hopefully someone specific to your area will post, but have you done a search? There have been several discussions on schools in the past few months, plus possibly previously. You might find the majority think the major decision is Spanish v International/British, with the decision obviously being personal but potentially coming down to how much you prioritise your son's Spanish language.
Good luck
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:26 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan 2471000
moving to ontinyent very soon and need more info on putting my son in school
hes 2 and a half
I live in Ontinyent - post a few more times and then you can PM me for more details.

I have 3 children in school and know most schools well.

At 2 1/2 years old, for me the answer is obvious - straight into the Spanish system.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:46 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I live in Ontinyent - post a few more times and then you can PM me for more details.

I have 3 children in school and know most schools well.

At 2 1/2 years old, for me the answer is obvious - straight into the Spanish system.
totally agree - straight into the spanish system

can you not just tell us a bit about the schools here - more might be interested - we thought about moving to Ontinyent at one time
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
totally agree - straight into the spanish system

can you not just tell us a bit about the schools here - more might be interested - we thought about moving to Ontinyent at one time
Sure - when we first moved here we went to the town hall and were 'allocated' a school.It turns out that this is where they put ALL foreign children so there's a mix of english, russian, belg, iranians, morocans etc. etc. (oh, and a few Spanish). In hindsight, it's not the school we would have chosen but it's fine.

Now, parents can apply for any school. They put up to three on the application form (in order of choice) and you should get one of these.

In Ontinyent, the best schools are run by Friars (Conception) or Nuns (Pureza de Maria). The waiting list for both, I think, is several years but you can be lucky. We applied for our eldest to go to Pureza when he graduated to secondary. He was one of only 4 taken externally. The others were either from the primary school, or those that were held back.

Not wishing to sound like a snob but I would say that these two (private) schools are akin to Grammar schools whilst the others are like comprehensives. In this region, and it may be true of all of Spain, even if you go to a private school, the funding is from the state

Young children go to school from 9-12 (or it may be 1 for part of the year). At some point, I think when they are 5, they start going all day.

... lots more to say, but that's for a start.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:17 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Sure - when we first moved here we went to the town hall and were 'allocated' a school.It turns out that this is where they put ALL foreign children so there's a mix of english, russian, belg, iranians, morocans etc. etc. (oh, and a few Spanish). In hindsight, it's not the school we would have chosen but it's fine.

Now, parents can apply for any school. They put up to three on the application form (in order of choice) and you should get one of these.

In Ontinyent, the best schools are run by Friars (Conception) or Nuns (Pureza de Maria). The waiting list for both, I think, is several years but you can be lucky. We applied for our eldest to go to Pureza when he graduated to secondary. He was one of only 4 taken externally. The others were either from the primary school, or those that were held back.

Not wishing to sound like a snob but I would say that these two (private) schools are akin to Grammar schools whilst the others are like comprehensives. In this region, and it may be true of all of Spain, even if you go to a private school, the funding is from the state

Young children go to school from 9-12 (or it may be 1 for part of the year). At some point, I think when they are 5, they start going all day.

... lots more to say, but that's for a start.
I'm surprised at your comment that Private education is State funded.

I think that this is a bit misleading. As far as I'm aware Spanish religious schools - which operate similarly to Private schools, are State funded, but I don't believe International (of any type) are State funded.

I worked in an International (Spanish owned) School in Alfaz de Pi, and it certainly wasn't State funded. Indeed, I believe that any school that does not follow the Spanish does not receive State funding.

I would also agree with the comments, that with young children, putting them into the State system is the better option. Good luck, and I hope you and your family have a good experience.