Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Spain

Schooling in Spain

Old Sep 29th 2018, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

timmyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in Spain

My family and I will be moving to inland Spain in the next year , my son will be 10 1/2 and will be going to Spanish state school with very little or no English , he does know a very little Spanish as anyone else done the same with children this age ? And how well did your children get on with the new language/ country
Old Sep 29th 2018, 2:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Spain

Originally Posted by timmyf
My family and I will be moving to inland Spain in the next year , my son will be 10 1/2 and will be going to Spanish state school with very little or no English , he does know a very little Spanish as anyone else done the same with children this age ? And how well did your children get on with the new language/ country
When we moved over to inland Spain 12 years ago, my eldest was just the same age. He managed just fine. One year in primary and then on to ESO. He then did Bachi and finished Uni just this year. He now has a good job.

For some, it may be better to repeat their finally year in primary to make sure they have a sufficient understanding of Spanish before the 'real' exams start.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Snikpoh.Our daughter was the same age when she left Uk at 11/12 years of age.In the UK he would be going up to a new start in Secondary school which is different anyway .We planned this to fit in.Unfortunately we did start off in a small local private school in our area because our much older daughter had gone to a fee paying school in England as she needed to have the experience of others who had her ability.So it was only fair to treat the younger the same.Unhappily we chose the wrong one as there was,& is still,an excellent British private school in our area.We took our daughter out of that & later it was closed down.So she went into the Spanish system & did well,starting her own business after leaving.Perhaps a few Spanish language lessons with a Spanish tutor would be the way to let him communicate more easily initially. .Once he has the basics you will find,at his age particularly,he has a lot of school mates who will be pressing him to learn some colloquial English.The schools are also helpful as they are well used to foreigners in their schools..
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

timmyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
When we moved over to inland Spain 12 years ago, my eldest was just the same age. He managed just fine. One year in primary and then on to ESO. He then did Bachi and finished Uni just this year. He now has a good job.

For some, it may be better to repeat their finally year in primary to make sure they have a sufficient understanding of Spanish before the 'real' exams start.
thanks for you’re replies , he has had s few lessons but like with all kids of that age the Xbox is more important