Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Spain

Schooling in Spain

Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

DancinMadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Schooling in Spain

Hi everyone, I am a new member. My family and I are looking to move to Spain, Valencia region next year. Our kids are 7 and 6 (and 20months). Looking for advice on schooling. We are keen that they attend Colegio or standard state school so they can integrate and learn the language. I have some Spanish and my husband begins his lessons soon whilst still here in Scotland. Obviously the baby will be fine - she will start in Spain aged 3 and not know any different.

Questions are as follows:

1) Will they be fine, integrate well? No worries if they need to repeat a year to grasp the language as I have read some schools do.
2) Difference between Colegio and state school?
3) If we went over in May next year and took them out of school a month early (different academic calendar here in Scotland) are there intensive Spanish courses they could attend until Septiembre to assist them when it comes time to start school
4) how far in advance will I need to contact potential schools?

Sorry - thats quite a list! Hoping to pick up some good advice, tips & opinions.
TIA
Madi
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Have you chosen your exact area of the Valencian region yet? In the region many of the schools teach in Valenciano which is a different language not a different dialect. We have members who have good information about schools so if you could narrow it down to an area they will be happy to help you with specifics.

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Yes my mum has just bought a holiday home in Lliria so somewhere around there.. or Domeño, Vilamarxante etc.. Hope that narrows it a bit.
Our kids are used to speaking English at home and a different language at school - their schooling is in Scottish Gaelic at present so I am guessing they should not be phased by immersion in a new language.

Last edited by DancinMadi; Sep 8th 2017 at 5:43 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

7 and 6 should be fine. More of a concern might be how you handle communication with the school in Valenciano, and how you can handle things like assignments, help with homework, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "Colegio" - it's just a generic term, usually for primary school. Did you mean "concertado"?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chopera
7 and 6 should be fine. More of a concern might be how you handle communication with the school in Valenciano, and how you can handle things like assignments, help with homework, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "Colegio" - it's just a generic term, usually for primary school. Did you mean "concertado"?
Yes "concertado" seen them called colegio on other forums is all.
I believe it is semi- private state subsidised with parental contribution?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Yes concertados are privately owned, but receive state subsidies. Parents pay very little, maybe €50/month "voluntary" contribution. They were originally catholic schools, most still are. They tend to be a bit more formal, with uniforms, etc, it's not unusual to see nuns in some of them. However I know of a few concertados that are not religious, and are informal, often because they have been bought by a cooperative. They all follow a similar curriculum.

I don't think you can say concertados are better or worse than state schools in general, because there is so much variation between them. My kids go to a concertado but I'd have happily sent them to a state school. I think you'd need to consider both on a case by case basis to find a school that suits you.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DancinMadi
Hi everyone, I am a new member. My family and I are looking to move to Spain, Valencia region next year. Our kids are 7 and 6 (and 20months). Looking for advice on schooling. We are keen that they attend Colegio or standard state school so they can integrate and learn the language. I have some Spanish and my husband begins his lessons soon whilst still here in Scotland. Obviously the baby will be fine - she will start in Spain aged 3 and not know any different.

Questions are as follows:

1) Will they be fine, integrate well? No worries if they need to repeat a year to grasp the language as I have read some schools do.
2) Difference between Colegio and state school?
3) If we went over in May next year and took them out of school a month early (different academic calendar here in Scotland) are there intensive Spanish courses they could attend until Septiembre to assist them when it comes time to start school
4) how far in advance will I need to contact potential schools?

Sorry - thats quite a list! Hoping to pick up some good advice, tips & opinions.
TIA
Madi
Again,too many people seem to be forgetting about Brexit , everything could change and you may not have a right to live/work or school your kids in Spain and no medical care rights , no one can be sure , hang on until the dust settles and you know whats happening.
Moving over to Spain then having to upsticks 12 months later will not be good for you or your kids.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rotor
Again,too many people seem to be forgetting about Brexit , everything could change and you may not have a right to live/work or school your kids in Spain and no medical care rights , no one can be sure , hang on until the dust settles and you know whats happening.
Moving over to Spain then having to upsticks 12 months later will not be good for you or your kids.
I'll take that on board but weather here is a huge factor not to mention the horrible atmosphere and political landscape following brexit vote. We are definitely leaving UK; end of story.

If we own a property outright I can't see Spain chucking us or the other million brits out so we will take our chances. Thank you though.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take that on board but weather here is a huge factor not to mention the horrible atmosphere and political landscape following brexit vote. We are definitely leaving UK; end of story.

If we own a property outright I can't see Spain chucking us or the other million brits out so we will take our chances. Thank you though.
No one knows yet , owning a property may not give you residential rights or anything else , why not have a look at Gib?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

No one knows yet , owning a property may not give you residential rights or anything else , why not have a look at Gib?
Gibraltar? Not being funny but to rent a 1 bed flat in Gibraltar costs more than my mortgage on my 3 bedroom house here. No. Spain it is. Plus I think people are putting too much on Brexit.
I'm sure people from Switzerland and indeed USA, Australia etc. Live in Spain / work in Spain / own property in Spain. Can't see brexit making us any different from them.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibraltar? Not being funny but to rent a 1 bed flat in Gibraltar costs more than my mortgage on my 3 bedroom house here. No. Spain it is. Plus I think people are putting too much on Brexit.
I'm sure people from Switzerland and indeed USA, Australia etc. Live in Spain / work in Spain / own property in Spain. Can't see brexit making us any different from them.
Non EU people can and do own property in Spain ( an American friend of mine does), however they dont get free schooling or health care , plus they would need a work permit to work in Spain , unless you have a unique trade that immigration feels is in demand you dont stand much chance , especially with the state of unemployment is Spain.

I`d recommend letting your UK home and rent in Spain until you know for sure whats what or you could end up in a very sticky financial situation.

Last edited by Rotor; Sep 10th 2017 at 8:40 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 5:16 am
Just Joined

We are going to let out property in UK. But also buy in Spain.
Thank you for your concerns. 😁
Old Sep 11th 2017, 6:50 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Non EU people can and do own property in Spain ( an American friend of mine does), however they dont get free schooling or health care , plus they would need a work permit to work in Spain , unless you have a unique trade that immigration feels is in demand you dont stand much chance , especially with the state of unemployment is Spain.

I`d recommend letting your UK home and rent in Spain until you know for sure whats what or you could end up in a very sticky financial situation.
Nobody gets "free healthcare". What do you mean by "free schooling"? If you have residence, you get all the same benefits as anyone else. Including schooling for your children.

It's also fair to point out that there is no benefit to anyone to "kick out" legally resident citizens of any nationality. That xenophobia is more of a British idea.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amideislas
Nobody gets "free healthcare". What do you mean by "free schooling"? If you have residence, you get all the same benefits as anyone else. Including schooling for your children.

It's also fair to point out that there is no benefit to anyone to "kick out" legally resident citizens of any nationality. That xenophobia is more of a British idea.
True you need to be working and paying autonomo/tax to get health care unless retired , free school /state school as you say is for residents but if you cant get or loose residency due to Brexit terms........

I dont believe people will be kicked out.....so long as they can meet the current criteria that non EU nationals have to meet today otherwise they will be residing in Spain illegally and at risk of being removed , same as in the UK when Border Control finds illegals , it will mean arrest and being stuck on the next plane , could be an issue if you own property there.

Also remember that David Davies is saying there will be a reduction in non/low skilled foreign workers admitted to the UK ie Spanish hospitality industry workers so when thousands of them return to Spain Spanish unemployment will rocket.

A friend of a friend (British) was recently booted out of Australia for over staying and cant go back for three years , it could well end up being the same with europe, dont bury your heads in the sand , get your paperwork in order and up to date as things change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.