Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schooling & Language

Schooling & Language

Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Sarah E is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling & Language

Hi, we are currently thinking of moving to Spain (Andalusia region) and would appreciate any advice. We are Brits currently living in South Africa with two children aged 9 & 11 in private schools here. We want to continue to live in a warm climate but be nearer to the UK.

My main concern is finding suitable schools and learning the language as we currently speak no Spanish. Are there any international schools and language schools in the area. What are the local schools like? Is the area generally 'friendly' and open to newcomers. We won't be working in Spain, so don't need to generate an income, but want to know we will still have a relaxed outdoor lifestyle such as we have here in South Africa.

Thanks for feedback.

Sarah
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling & Language

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah

Andalucia is huge!

If you are going to live in the middle of Seville then you will be absolutely lost speaking no Spanish. If you are going to live in Mijas then you will be surrounded by English speakers

There are private English speaking schools all along the Costa Del Sol
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I assumed there were some places we will probably have to discount for our early years, but don't know the area at all apart from holidays in years gone by (which I know isn't ideal). We plan to come over and base ourselves there from May next year and take 3-4 months to travel around and find somewhere suitable to settle. What do you think about the Almeria region? We want somewhere rural but not far from the ocean and somewhere which won't be a huge trek to school everyday. We were trying to avoid any built up tourist traps, is this possible??
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah E
Thanks for your reply. I assumed there were some places we will probably have to discount for our early years, but don't know the area at all apart from holidays in years gone by (which I know isn't ideal). We plan to come over and base ourselves there from May next year and take 3-4 months to travel around and find somewhere suitable to settle. What do you think about the Almeria region? We want somewhere rural but not far from the ocean and somewhere which won't be a huge trek to school everyday. We were trying to avoid any built up tourist traps, is this possible??
Note, there is no ocean in the South of Spain

Almeria is desert like and lacking culture. It is cheap for those reasons. I would avoid it but I know that there are Brits who live there and like it

It is impossible to recommend a place really. Depends what you want

Pretty much all the English speaking places are where tourists spend their time. If you want to actually live day-to-day in Spain then you must speak Spanish
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Ha ha been living near the Indian Ocean for too long - Sea it is then! Not sure I want to live in a desert like region which lacks any culture though. Spanish lessons need to start now then I guess. Thanks again.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Schooling & Language

Hi, we are currently thinking of moving to Spain (Andalusia region) and would appreciate any advice. We are Brits currently living in South Africa with two children aged 9 & 11 in private schools here. We want to continue to live in a warm climate but be nearer to the UK.

My main concern is finding suitable schools and learning the language as we currently speak no Spanish. Are there any international schools and language schools in the area. What are the local schools like? Is the area generally 'friendly' and open to newcomers. We won't be working in Spain, so don't need to generate an income, but want to know we will still have a relaxed outdoor lifestyle such as we have here in South Africa.

Thanks for feedback.

Sarah
Hi Sarah, I live in a small village near Marbella in the south of Spain and in the past have worked in three International schools in the area. There used to be many people coming from South Africa as it is closer to the UK but still has a more temperate climate. The private schools do vary in quality but there are many to choose from in and along the Costa del Sol. The area is friendly and welcoming but life on the coast can be transient and lacking the real authentic Spanish culture but its still a great place to live. Good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Chris, Thanks for taking time to reply. I guess my main concern is finding the right schools for the children, which will determine where we eventually settle. I just didn't want to be forced into a built up tourist area because we don't speak the language. I'm not totally set on Private or International schools, but I guess it's probably right to assume that the further inland and away from these built up areas, then it will be more difficult to find good schooling??
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Note, there is no ocean in the South of Spain

Almeria is desert like and lacking culture. It is cheap for those reasons. I would avoid it but I know that there are Brits who live there and like it

It is impossible to recommend a place really. Depends what you want

Pretty much all the English speaking places are where tourists spend their time. If you want to actually live day-to-day in Spain then you must speak Spanish
Except the little old Atlantic Ocean of course - the Costa De La Luz part of Andulucia from Gib to Portugal is a not insignificant part of the coastline
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at:

Andalucia Education, Schools - Pineapple's Travels
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Cheers
Old Sep 24th 2014, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Except the little old Atlantic Ocean of course - the Costa De La Luz part of Andulucia from Gib to Portugal is a not insignificant part of the coastline
Well true, although probably not many English speaking private schools there!

Btw OP, I lived in Benalmadena Pueblo for a couple of years which is about as touristy as it gets, but you have to remember that two thirds of the people that live there are still Spanish. I never spoke English in the street and had no English speaking friends. There was no need to

But of course if you dont speak Spanish then you will automatically circulate with people you can understand
Old Sep 24th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well true, although probably not many English speaking private schools there!

Btw OP, I lived in Benalmadena Pueblo for a couple of years which is about as touristy as it gets, but you have to remember that two thirds of the people that live there are still Spanish. I never spoke English in the street and had no English speaking friends. There was no need to

But of course if you dont speak Spanish then you will automatically circulate with people you can understand
There are, for example, International schools in Seville, Cadiz, San Roque etc etc
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Schooling & Language

Hi Chris, Thanks for taking time to reply. I guess my main concern is finding the right schools for the children, which will determine where we eventually settle. I just didn't want to be forced into a built up tourist area because we don't speak the language. I'm not totally set on Private or International schools, but I guess it's probably right to assume that the further inland and away from these built up areas, then it will be more difficult to find good schooling??
Depends on your definition of right school! All Spanish children go to local schools and although they have a different system they still produce excellent results. It is much more difficult for non Spanish speakers to learn and many waste their time because their parents either cannot afford private schools or they think it is best for their children to integrate into Spanish society by going to the local school. In my experience bright children anywhere will get through in whatever system they have to go through but not so bright children will find it difficult.
You have to see for yourself to decide on what you call built up as the whole coast by some peoples standards is built up. If you go inland you will find no international private schools but you could for example live in a village like Ojen near Marvbella and send your children to one of several schools in and around Marbella. Why don't you come and spend a few weeks here to see for yourself?
If it was me and had the funds I would send my child to either Aloha College or The English International College. Both provide a good standard of education. Check out their web sites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.