Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Barcelona

Schooling in Barcelona

Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:56 am
Just Joined

delancepants is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in Barcelona

Hi, I am going to move to Barcelona in the next year with my two sons aged 6 and 3. I've been searching the internet but can't find all the information I need. We have had a dreadful time as expats in Kolkata for the last few years, partly because I didn't research it properly, so I'm determined not to make the same mistake this time!

As I understand it there are several types of schools: state, concertada, private and international. I have an understanding of what these schools are but can someone tell me where the bilingual schools fit in to this? Are they private schools? Am I right in thinking that in Barcelona the bilingual school curriculum would be in english / catalan?

It would be nice for the kids to learn a new language so I'm leaning towards the bilingual option. However my oldest son has issues concentrating, the school psychologist here said he doesn't have ADHD but I think the situation is complicated by the fact that he doesn't see the point in school work, finds it very boring and he's very strong willed so he doesn't cooperate in school! The teachers in his last school couldn't cope with him (I think partly because it was a local indian school and the teachers were not well trained but also because a lot of kids are given a slap by parents to keep them in line, but I won't do that) so I am currently homeschooling and very concerned that we find a school that can help him. Can anyone give me any advice in this regard or even recommendations of particular schools in Barcelona that might be able to help him?

My husband works internationally so we are flexible in terms of where we live in Barcelona. My aim would be to live very close to school to minimise the school run. I assume this will be easy enough to arrange although I'm aware that rent may be high in desirable areas. What kind of housing could I expect in areas close to good schools? Would it be apartments or houses? (I have visited Spain several times but mostly major cities or holiday resorts so I don't have a good idea of what residential areas might be like.) Is it possible to find houses/apartment complexes with outdoor space for the kids to play? I remember visiting some lovely parks in Barcelona but before I had kids and I don't remember seeing playgrounds - do they exist, are they plentiful? Safe outdoor play is an important factor for us, I'm wondering how achievable this is in Spain. Do parks have funny opening hours like closing during siesta time or anything? This has been a big problem for us here in India.

And one last thing. I have heard mention of loutish British expats who drink a lot and are not respectful. This does not surprise me, of course, we know they exist, mostly we associate this with single people, but I've heard that they are present even among the expat families. If this is the case, are there particular areas to avoid living in order to avoid this contingent?

Thanks in advance!

Lia
Old Jan 20th 2016, 7:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Barcelona

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to live in the actual city of Barcelona - i.e. the area between the sea and the mountains and between the rivers Besos and Llobregat, then it will have to be in a flat. There are no houses in this area

Otherwise you can live behind Monte Collserola or further North or South on the coast in a house i.e. around 30-60 mins from the city itself

State schools in Barcelona teach Catalan as a first language, Castellano as a second language and English as a third language. Private schools will either teach in Catalan, Castellano or English depending on which you choose. Bilingual schools in Barcelona will normally be private and will be either Catalan/Castellano, Castellano/English or Catalan/English

If you want your children to have a wide range of friends and a future in Barcelona then they must speak Catalan and Castellano

People in Barcelona are actually very good at learning languages. The average 16 year old speaks fluent Catalan and Castellano and normally very good English

Schools in Spain arent as focussed about ADHD as British schools. Spanish schools tend to be quite academic and old fashioned in that children need to learn and remember everything the teacher says and then parrot it back to them in the exams, but again, that will depend on exactly which school you choose
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks cricketman, living close to school is the top priority. If that means living in a flat that's fine for me as long as there is some outdoor space for the kids to play and preferably a park or playground nearby. Do apartment blocks often have outdoor space for kids to play? Or are there plenty of parks where kids can play?

Oh dear, well rote learning is definitely not good. That's what we've had for the last few years and it did not work out for my son at all. So it sounds like I'll have to make a choice between a bilingual school that probably won't have the best support for my son's poor concentration skills or an international school that doesn't provide the best language opportunities...is that what you're saying?
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Oh wait...I've just discovered that school hours are really long in Spain... Do schools in Spain have a good PE curriculum? If so then there would be less need for outdoor play...
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delancepants
Oh wait...I've just discovered that school hours are really long in Spain... Do schools in Spain have a good PE curriculum? If so then there would be less need for outdoor play...
Barcelona has a massive beach to play on, a number of big city parks and smaller play parks every now and then

School hours are long at private schools, often 8.30am-4.30pm, but much shorter at state schools, perhaps 9am-2pm,

Sport isnt done that much at schools, certainly not at state schools, children will go to sport lessons in the evenings and weekends. The sport facilities and coaching in Spain is excellent, possibly the best in the world, and often free or very subsidised
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Around here concertados are from 9:00 to 5:30 5 days a week. Might be the same in Barcelona.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Around here concertados are from 9:00 to 5:30 5 days a week. Might be the same in Barcelona.
Usually in a concertado the afternoon session is optional
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Usually in a concertado the afternoon session is optional
Really?

Not in this province!
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Really?

Not in this province!
8.5 hours at school each day

Incredible. Especially considering that Spanish students have the lowest educational standards in Europe. What are the doing all day?

My eldest does 9am-2pm at a Montesorri school. And he comes home knackered!
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delancepants
My husband works internationally....
Apologies for mentioning something completely off-topic, but please do not forget to consider the Spanish deemed tax resident rules. It is likely your husband will be subject to Spanish tax even though he is not working there.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Apologies for mentioning something completely off-topic, but please do not forget to consider the Spanish deemed tax resident rules. It is likely your husband will be subject to Spanish tax even though he is not working there.
Absolutely, and that goes for all the expat men who work offshore

If your partner and children are resident in Spain then you must pay income tax in Spain