Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

School Asembly today....feeling guilty!

School Asembly today....feeling guilty!

Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default School Asembly today....feeling guilty!

Went to see my Son at his P3 School Asembly, they did a piece all about Literacy week, the first time he has been given a little bit of his own to say at the mike. Well looking at all the kids, he went to ante-pre-School Nursery, then Nursery class as well as 3 Primary School years with I felt a bit emotional about taking him away from all this that he knows to a Foreign Country that speaks a different language! Felt really guilty and made a quick get-away as soon as it finished rather than join others for tea/coffee!
He is one of the reasons for moving too, hopefully he will have a more outdoor life, play more football (his main passion) and have a different outlook in life. Didn't stop me feeling teary today though watching him on that stage
I am hoping to be in Spain for start of new term in Sep. even if it means renting and am wondering if I shouldn't bother to tell the School until the week before it is due to start so that they don't have a little "goodbye" party in the classroom for him (incase it upsets him). Or am I being selfish
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: School Asembly today....feeling guilty!

It's understandable to be emotional but please don't deny him the opportunity to say good bye properly.

I know you want to protect him but the truth is that good byes are sad throughout life. By running away from them they can become very scary things (ie if we can't face them they must be really really bad!!)

You also could run the risk of him not really understanding that you're moving forever and that could cause problems settling him in your new home/school.

He may well get upset but often children surprise us and we realise it's us parents who have the bigger problem.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

agree with Dazzle, let him say goodbye - sure they will all want to wish him well in his new life and new school
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spain
agree with Dazzle, let him say goodbye - sure they will all want to wish him well in his new life and new school
i was a primary teacher for years and years and i have to agree with everyone..'he must have his chance to say goodbye'
he will be made to fel important by the teacher and the children..he will get a chance to rtalk about his hopes and fears, and with the advent of modern technology he will have the oppportuntity to get email and msn addresses yes even 6 years can send messages nowadays in school..sometimes with adult support. we did a weely diary with a child who went to germany..we then paired with his school and we wrote to a class mate..it was great..
so give him the chance.

carole
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Hi thanks for your replies. After reading them I realise it would be wrong not to let them say bye to him. It is me who doesn't like goodbyes and I was probably worried it would upset me, not him! So it would be selfish not to, don't know what I was thinking about
thanks again.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Hi thanks for your replies. After reading them I realise it would be wrong not to let them say bye to him. It is me who doesn't like goodbyes and I was probably worried it would upset me, not him! So it would be selfish not to, don't know what I was thinking about
thanks again.
Yeah `, let him have his cakes and jelly at the party.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:36 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again.

Twyntub should add his fourpenn'orth to this, his little girl has adapted brilliantly to her new Spanish school. She is a darling and already fluent in Spanish. Your little boy has something to look forward to when he meets her
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Twyntub should add his fourpenn'orth to this, his little girl has adapted brilliantly to her new Spanish school. She is a darling and already fluent in Spanish. Your little boy has something to look forward to when he meets her
Pooooff! And as if by magic I appear!

Yes, HereKittyKitty it won't take long for your son to adapt and fit in. Children are incredibly adaptable... more than we give them credit for most of the time!

We were very apprehensive about the whole 'move thing'. We'd told the school early on, but when it came to giving up the place the school were pestering us because we'd not confirmed it until the last minute...

However - we did let our daughter say goodbye... that was important and a little bit upsetting, but she has a lovely card where all of her ex-classmates and teachers have written something, and plenty of memories. We keep in touch with her old school friends by email and regularly send photos.

It's perfectly normal to feel like this... once you get over here you'll wonder what the worry was all about! The children, the parents and the teachers here are all fantastic and your son will be in very safe hands.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

thanks Twyntub that makes me feel much better, especially since you are familiar with the School already.
I am going to wait until at least our house is sold and signed for, before confirming to the School. Not that they don't already know....he has been telling all the Teachers he is going to live in Spain! I had a School helper approach me the other day to ask if we were moving to Spain as another Teacher had told her
Yet he said to me the other week "when we go to Spain, when are we coming back?" I said "you are going to live there for good" and he promptly burst into tears!! Kids eh? I did assure him we would come back here for "visits" though.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Twyntub that makes me feel much better, especially since you are familiar with the School already.
I am going to wait until at least our house is sold and signed for, before confirming to the School. Not that they don't already know....he has been telling all the Teachers he is going to live in Spain! I had a School helper approach me the other day to ask if we were moving to Spain as another Teacher had told her
Yet he said to me the other week "when we go to Spain, when are we coming back?" I said "you are going to live there for good" and he promptly burst into tears!! Kids eh? I did assure him we would come back here for "visits" though.
It's possible that the "going to live there for good" concept - is something your son doesn't fully understand. Children at that age can't fully relate to time... I would definately talk about it with him and focus on the positives of the outdoor life, new friends, etc, etc. Don't make it an issue yourself - you may find he's merely a barometer for your own feelings - we had a similar situation but we just focussed on how lovely life was going to be in Spain and that we were only a plane ride away for holidays, etc.

As an aside, whenever our kids are up to mischief, as a joke I always threaten them with "That's it, we're going back to the UK"... "NO! Daddy! NO!" is the response!!

If you are over in the Summer and you wish to meet up with us so that he's familiar with someone from the school, it won't be such a big upheaval come September.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=twyntub;5993689]It's possible that the "going to live there for good" concept - is something your son doesn't fully understand. Children at that age can't fully relate to time...

I agree Twyntub.
Thanks for your offer, we are over in June for a week and bringing him with us, so will be in touch nearer the time...good idea
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

We always coached our kids that one day we'd leave the UK for sunny climes again, so they weren't surprised when it came to pass. But we involved them from the start and it was all planned out. My little one was only 4 and they had the greatest week at school, class parties, leaving parties, special assemblies, shirts signed, gigantic cards... tons of tears (mostly from me actually). But it was well worth it, great memories. Remember the kids are more adaptable than us older folk, so in the long run they'll be fine, just project happy thoughts onto them.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

My daughter is going through much the same just now as she emigrates to australia on Tuesday. Charlie is at nursery and his last day is tomorrow, he is having a wee party to say farewell to his friends, so yes kitty, let your son have a "knees up" with his pals
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

That's a BIG move, Linda. Bet you are feeling it as well!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Just a bit Kitty, went to MCarthur Glen on Wednesday night for a meal (just the two of us) and had a good natter. Going to say my farewells on Sunday (what a way to spend mothers day)and not looking forard to it. Still, I can give you my dog for a month when I go to Oz for a holiday!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.