School Age

Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

shell_lou79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post School Age

Hi,

My husband and I have been talking about moving to Spain with our young family. Our kids are 2 1/2 (3 in August) and 11 weeks. Can anyone tell me what age they start school in Spain and in your opinon are International Schools or Spanish the best option for them. At present the only Spanish my 2/12 year old twins speak is Hola!!!

Thanks Michelle
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Age

Originally Posted by shell_lou79
Hi,

My husband and I have been talking about moving to Spain with our young family. Our kids are 2 1/2 (3 in August) and 11 weeks. Can anyone tell me what age they start school in Spain and in your opinon are International Schools or Spanish the best option for them. At present the only Spanish my 2/12 year old twins speak is Hola!!!

Thanks Michelle
Thats more than my 25yr old bird speaks, lol
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks Michelle
Here in Valencia, they are able to start at 3 years old and do a full day, and they have to go to school at 6 years old.
We have an eight year old and a three year old, both in the local village school, doing 9 til 4.30, having their lunch there and travelling to and fro on the bus provided by the town hall, which caters for kids that live more than 3km away from the school.
Hope that helps.
regards
Tim
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Start at three here too.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Thats more than my 25yr old bird speaks, lol
You didn't pick her for her intellect then? Tits? Legs? Ass? Rich Dad? all Four??
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
You didn't pick her for her intellect then? Tits? Legs? Ass? Rich Dad? all Four??
too Ugly, had to take what was there,

she has the Tits, but the legs arse and Rich Dad are all missing, Im hopeful once I settle in Spain Ill get what ive always wanted, lol
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks that does help. They start nursery here at 3 but only for half a day. When does the school year run from - to? holidays etc?

I have searched some websites but figured it'd be easier (and more accurate) asking people directly.

Michelle
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

.........., but the legs arse ..... are all missing, ...............
She must be about the perfect height then?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that does help. They start nursery here at 3 but only for half a day. When does the school year run from - to? holidays etc?

I have searched some websites but figured it'd be easier (and more accurate) asking people directly.

Michelle
I can only tell you about the local area.
Ours finished yesterday until the 1st of April for Fallas celebrations and Easter, they then go through to the 3rd week in June and finish for the summer until the 2nd week of september (so 3 months summer holiday), then through until normally the day before xmas eve then back on the 9th ish of January. They do not have half terms here, just odd days here and there. The school day is 9 til 4.30 monday to thursday and 9 til 12.45 on a friday unless they stay for lunch in which case 9 til 3. In June and September, they only do half days because of the heat.
The school year runs the same as the UK, except that they can start school 3 years after they are born.
In many areas there are also nurseries for pre school age.
School meals are properly balanced, 3 courses, and of the take it or leave it type! For example, on a special occasion fiesta or xmas meal, if they are lucky (!), it may be burger and chips.
There are the usual parent teacher associations, they all go on subsidised trips, including the infants, they are chaperoned on the school bus, and the infants also have an assistant sat with them during their meals.
From 6 years upwards, they have homework, everyday, normally about an hours worth. Our eldest came home yesterday with 30pages worth to keep him occupied over the next 2 weeks!
In Valencia, you have the choice of their lessons being held in Castellano (Spanish) or Valenciano, whichever is the main one, the other is taught as an additional languge, but they have to learn both in any case to enable them to graduate at the end of their education.
Regards
Tim

Last edited by valenciatim; Mar 15th 2008 at 8:57 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

So if they go to a Spanish school would they need to speak Spanish before they start or would that be taught at school? Probably a really silly question but it's one a need the answer to.
Michelle
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

So if they go to a Spanish school would they need to speak Spanish before they start or would that be taught at school? Probably a really silly question but it's one a need the answer to.
Michelle
Our 8 year old started when he was 4, spoke no Spanish at all and was very shy. He was the only English child in his class of 20 odd, his teacher spoke no English at all. Took him about a month to really settle in and obviously is now fluent. Nearly all of his friends are Spanish.
Our 3 year old could hardly speak any English when he started, let alone spanish. Same again, his teacher speaks very little English, no other English children in his class.
Whereas people we know whose children have been in classes with other English kids have problems because there is a them and us situation where the kids don't mix.
The one thing that is very important, is that it falls on the parents to maintain the kids' English education and language, because although English is taught at the schools, it will be of the same standard or quality that we were all taught french all those years ago!
Tim
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

With them being twins I guess they would have each other which would make it easier (?) for them to settle in as they wouldn't feel so isolated by the language barrier.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

With them being twins I guess they would have each other which would make it easier (?) for them to settle in as they wouldn't feel so isolated by the language barrier.
Probably, but you cannot assume that they will be in the same class.
Tim
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by leighbloke
She must be about the perfect height then?
yes mate, ha ha ha, that was appealing at the time we met, how things change, for all of us I guess
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes mate, ha ha ha, that was appealing at the time we met, how things change, for all of us I guess
Sorry for bringing the thread down to this level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.