Reload this Page >

SAVE COSTS BY VAN SHARING??

SAVE COSTS BY VAN SHARING??

Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:24 am
Coco

scottvanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile SAVE COSTS BY VAN SHARING??

Hi All,
time is coming closer now for our move to Javea (end March) and we are looking at the most cost effective way of moving our stuff. Due to the fact that lots of people are unfortunately returning, we were wondering if maybe a van share might be an option. Ie. We could hire a luton van here in the UK drive it out and then pass it on to someone to drive back. Or vice versa. I know location and dates would need to tie up, but just thought if we could save money for us and someone travelling back, it may be a goer. we have looked at the cost of renting a van for one week, from UK and it would be about £500 total, so £250 each. Any thoughts or ideas???
Many thanks Scott & Vanda
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:21 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SAVE COSTS BY VAN SHARING??

Originally Posted by scottvanda
Hi All,
time is coming closer now for our move to Javea (end March) and we are looking at the most cost effective way of moving our stuff. Due to the fact that lots of people are unfortunately returning, we were wondering if maybe a van share might be an option. Ie. We could hire a luton van here in the UK drive it out and then pass it on to someone to drive back. Or vice versa. I know location and dates would need to tie up, but just thought if we could save money for us and someone travelling back, it may be a goer. we have looked at the cost of renting a van for one week, from UK and it would be about £500 total, so £250 each. Any thoughts or ideas???
Many thanks Scott & Vanda
Don't forget the other costs -

fuel - about 150 each way
tolls - about 140 each way if you go via france
ferry - can be 500 each way via spain or less via france

When you add all this up, going to someone else may be the best bet (especially if they have a load going back to UK).

PM me for me details if you wish.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

One way van hire is available, see links in the Free Beer section.
Also, how would you organise the insurance? Don't any drivers have to be present when the vehicle is collected?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:50 am
Coco

scottvanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: SAVE COSTS BY VAN SHARING??

[QUOTE=snikpoh;7235792]Don't forget the other costs -

When you add all this up, going to someone else may be the best bet (especially if they have a load going back to UK).

Hi
Thanks for your comments. We have looked into this and the ferry is £250 each way currently from Portsmouth to Bilbao. That said, all these costs are the same with the one way hire companies, arent they?
We are still looking at all the options and this could be a cheaper option for someone coming back to the UK.

Thanks

Scott & Vanda
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=scottvanda;7242841]
Originally Posted by snikpoh
Don't forget the other costs -

Hi
Thanks for your comments. We have looked into this and the ferry is £250 each way currently from Portsmouth to Bilbao. That said, all these costs are the same with the one way hire companies, arent they?
We are still looking at all the options and this could be a cheaper option for someone coming back to the UK.

Thanks

Scott & Vanda
The costs are relative. One way van hire is what it says. Wheres you will be paying extra days for transferring the van to someone else, re loading etc, rather thasn just dropping it off.

Also, I dont think as Tim said that any Van hire company will allow you to do that, as the driver must be present when the van is hired, and clearly he wont be able to be.