SATNAV

Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:15 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future
Default SATNAV

I'm going to buy a Satellite navigation system for my car - I really want to buy in the Uk as prices are low and so I don't have any issues with instructions, how to use it, support etc.

But all I'm really interested in is the Spanish map section. I'm wondering how good these European maps are in reality as the streets in my town are like rabbit warrens in places and even with a street map you can struggle!

Anyone using them and any recommendations?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SATNAV

Originally Posted by GCM
I'm going to buy a Satellite navigation system for my car - I really want to buy in the Uk as prices are low and so I don't have any issues with instructions, how to use it, support etc.

But all I'm really interested in is the Spanish map section. I'm wondering how good these European maps are in reality as the streets in my town are like rabbit warrens in places and even with a street map you can struggle!

Some of the satnavs offer detailed UK maps but with only basic mapping in Europe - so check the small print that you get full street-level addressing.

Our TomTom One Europe is good, but all satnav maps can be 3-5 years out of date by the time they hit the software because of the way each road has to be surveyed.

In Spain, roads can be built very quickly (or straightened) faster than even the Town Halls can keep up, roundabouts suddenly appear, etc, etc.

The other annoying thing is that whilst most 'rabbit warren' streets are on our satnav, Town Halls have a funny habit of reversing the one way street directions! Thankfully, the Spanish tend to drive the wrong way down one-way streets most of the time, so all is not lost.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I have also been told that the Tom Tom 1 Europe is the one to go for.
Tim
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM

if you buy it in the UK and it goes wrong then you would have the problem of returning it - and Im sure you will be able to change the language and also download instructions in English if you bought one over here

from what I know (which isnt much other than seeing them on QVC!!!) its best to get one that you can download updates for like the tom tom

we have been toying with the idea of getting one but there are so many to choose from its too confusing for me

maybe someone on here can recommend one they have bought
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I use the "ViaMichelin" X970. excellent for Spain & the whole of europe too. I bought it in Boulangers in Marbella. If you use the internet site of ViaMichelin then the routes can be downloaded.

BUT with all satnavs, you need a modicum of Intelligence !!!!

Dave
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:54 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

GPS systems are only as good as the mapping system they are based upon, obviously. Here in Spain the paper maps are rubbish, often out of date or have the wrong number as it changed a few years ago, etc. etc. All of this has to be translated digitally that also take time. The system/technology TOMTOM uses is similar to Google maps. Have a look at this link.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...43602&t=h&z=15

It shows a road, running north to south which is not there and is not even proposed. It is not the only error we know about. Having said that TOMTOM have now bought the company which supplies the mapping data and you can help TOMTOM update the mapping information. Again that update will take time to trickle into the system.
TOMTOM are the market leaders. But sum up do not expect the same level of accuracy or information here in Spain as the U.K.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We have the TomTom One Europe and mostly swear by it. It does have a hiccup now and again, but these can be ironed out by using the built in facilities. Like we parked the car in Torrie (underground carpark) carried the satnav with us to locate our solicitor.

It took us up the street, turn left, up the street, turn left, up the street turn left, to the junction just before the car park entry and then instructed us to turn right! you get the picture? we had left it set on vehicle use so it was following the one way system Into the menu and reset to pedestrian and we were ok!

I would also say you need to update the maps often, we have been on almost new roads that are not on the satnav and the voice keeps telling you to turn around when possible, the map showing you driving across rough ground.

So they are good and they will get you there, just don't put complete faith in them, use your eyes and also watch out for road signs.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We have the TomTom One Europe and mostly swear by it. It does have a hiccup now and again, but these can be ironed out by using the built in facilities. Like we parked the car in Torrie (underground carpark) carried the satnav with us to locate our solicitor.

It took us up the street, turn left, up the street, turn left, up the street turn left, to the junction just before the car park entry and then instructed us to turn right! you get the picture? we had left it set on vehicle use so it was following the one way system Into the menu and reset to pedestrian and we were ok!

I would also say you need to update the maps often, we have been on almost new roads that are not on the satnav and the voice keeps telling you to turn around when possible, the map showing you driving across rough ground.

So they are good and they will get you there, just don't put complete faith in them, use your eyes and also watch out for road signs.
LOL, have a drive around Alhaurin with it, when we worked there they put about four new roundabouts in, in as many weeks.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this helps, but a good friend works for these guys and they do software for various GPS systems, in fact, that's what he does for them.

Multimap
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Hi, I have the 'all singing all dancing' TomTom 910, but to be honest the bog standard one with europe maps on will do, dont worry where you buy it from, as you can change the language to english on them all anyway, and the instructions that come with it arnt brill,

I did have a problem with mine, one of the chips went inside, but all you have to do is go on the tomtom website, tell them about the problem, and if it needs sending to them (in the netherlands- I THINK) then you just take it to DHL and they pay the postage!! I got mine back within 10 days

yes the maps go out of date so fast, mine dont have all the new motorway systems around Alicante/Benidorm, but it does have the track to my house, which is in the sticks a couple of KM off the main road,

im not sure if you can plug it into the PC and update the maps though (i must look into that)

im happy with mine, though I dont use it much, it can be a god send when you do need it,, bought the boyfriend a garmin one for his birthday, but im not sure what that is like compared to the tomtom.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: SATNAV

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
GPS systems are only as good as the mapping system they are based upon, obviously. Here in Spain the paper maps are rubbish, often out of date or have the wrong number as it changed a few years ago, etc. etc. All of this has to be translated digitally that also take time. The system/technology TOMTOM uses is similar to Google maps. Have a look at this link.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...43602&t=h&z=15

It shows a road, running north to south which is not there and is not even proposed. It is not the only error we know about. Having said that TOMTOM have now bought the company which supplies the mapping data and you can help TOMTOM update the mapping information. Again that update will take time to trickle into the system.
TOMTOM are the market leaders. But sum up do not expect the same level of accuracy or information here in Spain as the U.K.
You are quite right to identify the mapping software as the key to what the satnav is capable of. Navteq mapping is often quoted as being the best and is used by more than one satnav company and they are often proud to identify them as the software used don't know if this was the company that Tom Tom bought.

PS Google is my friend and says that Navteq was bought by Nokia inOctober 2007

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 16th 2008 at 5:42 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Hi, I have the 'all singing all dancing' TomTom 910, but to be honest the bog standard one with europe maps on will do, dont worry where you buy it from, as you can change the language to english on them all anyway, and the instructions that come with it arnt brill,

I did have a problem with mine, one of the chips went inside, but all you have to do is go on the tomtom website, tell them about the problem, and if it needs sending to them (in the netherlands- I THINK) then you just take it to DHL and they pay the postage!! I got mine back within 10 days

yes the maps go out of date so fast, mine dont have all the new motorway systems around Alicante/Benidorm, but it does have the track to my house, which is in the sticks a couple of KM off the main road,

im not sure if you can plug it into the PC and update the maps though (i must look into that)

im happy with mine, though I dont use it much, it can be a god send when you do need it,, bought the boyfriend a garmin one for his birthday, but im not sure what that is like compared to the tomtom.
Might help anyone who uses a Tomtom to look at:

Tomtom plus services:
http://www.tomtom.com/plus/index.php
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I have a TOMTOM Go710 with V7.15 Western European Maps. This TT is now a couple of years old but the maps are brand new and up to date. With the latest version of TThome and from V6.75map these maps are updated regularly if you connect your TT to the PC. This means that you have the very latest maps that are available. I drive around both Spain and Portugal and I find that Spain coverage is very good and Portugal is fairly good and getting better all the time.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:34 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Most items bought within the EU now carry a EU wide warranty.

The only advantage if buying it in Spain is if it doesn't work out of the box or goes wrong within a few days otherwise like with all tom tom systems when they go wrong they get sent back to the Netherlands for replacment/repair.

However some of the bigger companies will replace electrical items upto a year after purchase but that's quite rare these days.

Originally Posted by spain
if you buy it in the UK and it goes wrong then you would have the problem of returning it - and Im sure you will be able to change the language and also download instructions in English if you bought one over here
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:23 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Talking Re: SATNAV

Originally Posted by GCM

I have the GARMIN NUVI 660 which has maps of both UK and Spain together with the rest of Europe it also has a MP3 player and plays audible talking books. With regards its use my house is at the end of my land which is mostly oranges however the little tracks and Unpaved roads are shown clearly on the screen which is over 4 inches the street names are also spoken as well as the left/right bla bla. GARMIN has just sent me the 2008 map update CD free of charge and although illegal in Spain show/warns of speed traps
I bought mine on ebay new for 188 pounds which is a good deal and you can also upgrade from the GARMIN website

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.