sandlfy?

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default sandlfy?

We seem to have a lot of tiny sandflies chirned up by some digging in a nearby construction site.
Does anyone know where you can buy insect/mosquito nets?
They are definitely sandflies and not mosquitos...I don't seem to get bitten but my partner has about 30 bites!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sandlfy?

Ferretaria, Carrefour, Chinese etc should sell them.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Nasty beggars, I agree with Rosemary and also Ikea have the over bed ones. I had a really bad reaction to one, I was recommmened to use my Aloe Vera gel THE best at reducing the swelling and stinging. I had bought 3 lots of creams over the counter and tried to be seen by local clinic. I was getting really worried by it. Protect any pets you have also if not already doing so.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Nasty beggars, I agree with Rosemary and also Ikea have the over bed ones. I had a really bad reaction to one, I was recommmened to use my Aloe Vera gel THE best at reducing the swelling and stinging. I had bought 3 lots of creams over the counter and tried to be seen by local clinic. I was getting really worried by it. Protect any pets you have also if not already doing so.
Be warned though that the over bed ones cannot be used if you have a central fan in the ceiling. We bought a couple before leaving the UK and then forgot them as we started to renovate the house and yes, you have guessed it, we put in central fans in all of the rooms. So left with 2 useless nets. Also bought them for the windows but have never bothered to fit them.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I found that a fan mounted on a bedside cabinet blowing air across the bed especially across the pillows tends to keep them away.

In the case of mossies, a light in the bathroom and water in the washbasin will attract them away from the bedroom.
They will sit for hours on the mirror above the bowl and are then very easy to deal with.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

May sound a silly question, but what do you use to protect your pets against Sandfly? Is it those collar thingy- me- jigs?
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I found that a fan mounted on a bedside cabinet blowing air across the bed especially across the pillows tends to keep them away.

In the case of mossies, a light in the bathroom and water in the washbasin will attract them away from the bedroom.
They will sit for hours on the mirror above the bowl and are then very easy to deal with.
Amazingly simple solutions to a nasty problem. My friend had to go to the doctor this week because she had been bitten on her eye lid and her face in her words "was a monster", the doctor gave her an injection and she is now returning to normal.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
May sound a silly question, but what do you use to protect your pets against Sandfly? Is it those collar thingy- me- jigs?
Scalibor collars or now there is vaccination available also. I spray my wee dog lightly with Halley if I think she is in danger. She has other problems so need to talk with vet re vaccine.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Scalibor collars or now there is vaccination available also. I spray my wee dog lightly with Halley if I think she is in danger. She has other problems so need to talk with vet re vaccine.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Been using a fan but didn't seem to affect them.
Both the fan and water trick works on mossie sbut not these nasty critters.
What's the Spanish word for midge or sandfly?

Last edited by Scribble; Aug 4th 2012 at 6:29 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

what's Halley ?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience sand flys do not fly much above ankle height, they tend to get the lower part of the leg. I know when I served in Belize there were big problems with them. Some of the lads legs were a right mess as they can carry disease. Probably not spelled correct but something like Gungies Disease very nasty.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
what's Halley ?

Insect repellent that works for me. Available from some farmacias.

http://www.repelentemosquitos.com/
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Be warned though that the over bed ones cannot be used if you have a central fan in the ceiling. We bought a couple before leaving the UK and then forgot them as we started to renovate the house and yes, you have guessed it, we put in central fans in all of the rooms. So left with 2 useless nets. Also bought them for the windows but have never bothered to fit them.

Rosemary
Ikea do a net which is designed to go round a table outside rather than over the bed. It has a bigger hoop and I guess with a bit of surgical snipping and rejoining with maybe micropore (the white stuff you use for small wounds) you could use it over your fan if the fan is directly above the bed. (just guessing though. Depends on ceiling height.) BTW I use micropore to cover little holes in my mozzie net, and hair clips to hold the head end to the headboard. Can't stand netting in my face!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

It's never occurred to me (doh) that sometimes what my OH is plagued by might be sandflies rather than mozzies.... I've just googled extensively and couldn't really find one good image to compare the two. Anyone able to give an idiot's guide explanation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.