Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sand coming out of jets in pool

Sand coming out of jets in pool

Old May 23rd 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sand coming out of jets in pool

Hi all, I have a problem with my pool.

I vacuumed it as normal, then back washed as normal. Then I rinsed as I normally do; immediately the sight glass went a filthy brown colour so I carried on rinsing until it was clear.

There was some crystal residue left in the sight glass. When I turned around there were sand trails underneath where the jets are.

There was a gritty sound when I turned off the drain valve. I put the pump back into normal filtration mode and then flicked the switch to ensure everything was OK but it just hummed.

I immediately flicked it off and then isolated it so that it would not come on with the time switch.

Any ideas please?

Does it sound expensive?
Old May 23rd 2015, 12:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sand coming out of jets in pool

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Hi all, I have a problem with my pool.

I vacuumed it as normal, then back washed as normal. Then I rinsed as I normally do; immediately the sight glass went a filthy brown colour so I carried on rinsing until it was clear.

There was some crystal residue left in the sight glass. When I turned around there were sand trails underneath where the jets are.

There was a gritty sound when I turned off the drain valve. I put the pump back into normal filtration mode and then flicked the switch to ensure everything was OK but it just hummed.

I immediately flicked it off and then isolated it so that it would not come on with the time switch.

Any ideas please?

Does it sound expensive?
OK - some answers.

Some times the pump 'gets stuck'. What you need to do is to carefully remove the plastic cover from the pump and free the fan by rotating it. Sometimes this is all you have to do and the pump will work fine when reassembled.

Are you sure it's sand in the pool? You can get an algae that looks very similar. Try hoovering the pool to waste, check the pH and chlorine levels and see if it reappears. If it does, and you are sure it's sand, then the filter tubes at the bottom of your filter may need changing.

To do this you need to completely empty the filter of sand to expose the filter pipes and replace them. When refilling, I recommend using new sand.

Hope some of this helps you.

Not a hard set of jobs and not expensive - unless you are not practical and have to call someone out!
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure its sand? We've had one or two rain showers lately, that seems to carry a lot of that north african dust with it. Our pool is still blowing it through the filter even though I've added floculant and vacummed to waste.

Each time the pump goes on the water goes cloudy from the jets. Its annoying as I had just before the rain, paid the local water guy 460€ to refill the pool with fresh water. This was after I left the pump on timer after forgetting to switch the multi valve back from waste!
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:44 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same problem with what looked like sand but turned out to be dust and huge quantities of pollen from the pines behind our villa.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely sand. I had just vacuumed the pool clean. I went through all my usual cleaning routine.
Three brown plumes on the pool bottom under the jets, grating sound coming from the drain valve when turning on and off, and the pump suddenly humming and not pumping.
My best guess is something within the sand filter has failed allowing the filter sand into the pool and its associated pipework.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely sand. I had just vacuumed the pool clean. I went through all my usual cleaning routine.
Three brown plumes on the pool bottom under the jets, grating sound coming from the drain valve when turning on and off, and the pump suddenly humming and not pumping.
My best guess is something within the sand filter has failed allowing the filter sand into the pool and its associated pipework.
I know you're going to tell me to pee off ..... but this happened to me once. It was because one of the three levers had not been engaged to where it should have been properly so it promptly added a bit of sand to my pool. After a vacuum it was fine :-)
Old May 24th 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all for your input.

I am fairly certain that it is a filter problem, all the valves were in the correct position and it is definitely sand coming out of the jets. There are brown plumes on the bottom of the pool underneath the jets.

I will call a pool repair company tomorrow.
Old May 24th 2015, 4:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your input.

I am fairly certain that it is a filter problem, all the valves were in the correct position and it is definitely sand coming out of the jets. There are brown plumes on the bottom of the pool underneath the jets.

I will call a pool repair company tomorrow.

Oh, OK .... it was sand that came out for me iirc ... it was almost like a backwash into the pool. Made a horrible mess The lever was only slightly out of line. I never did it again
Old May 24th 2015, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Our friend had that problem , last week , it was the filter , when the sand was removed there are a series of plastic strainers ( look a bit like hair curlers ) some had broken off allowing sand to enter the pool

Replacement filter fixed it ( if you are re using the valve ensure the new filter has the same centres)
Cheers Tony
Old May 25th 2015, 6:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony
Our friend had that problem , last week , it was the filter , when the sand was removed there are a series of plastic strainers ( look a bit like hair curlers ) some had broken off allowing sand to enter the pool

Replacement filter fixed it ( if you are re using the valve ensure the new filter has the same centres)
Cheers Tony
You really don't need to replace the entire filter. See post #2 - just replace the "plastic strainers".
Old May 25th 2015, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

Here is an Astral filter showing the spider that is probably at fault, as you can see all the parts are replaceable.

http://pdbdocs.astralpool.com/recamb...2014-07-10.pdf

Last edited by dypcdiver; May 25th 2015 at 8:20 am.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

http://pdbdocs.astralpool.com/recambios/KIT10_20128_filtro_cantabric_AP_v02_2014-07-10.pdf[/URL]
Old May 25th 2015, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You really don't need to replace the entire filter. See post #2 - just replace the "plastic strainers".
I know that is sometimes the case but that particular one was beyond repair

Cheers Tony
Old May 26th 2015, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG sounds like having your own Pool is a complete nightmare! imagine getting a mouthful of African dust/sand/algae/Pollen when you dive in!
Old May 26th 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

snikpoh and Tony were spot on, it was a broken lateral inside the sand filter. A professional pool maintenance man I know came round and replaced it for me so I got to see how it was done for future reference. I was a bit apprehensive to dive in and do it myself even though snikpoh assured me that it was not rocket science.
The good news was that it was only one lateral, the rest were sound, and he inspected the sand and said that it did not need replacing.
The very good news was that he would not take any payment, not even a tenner to have a drink.
Thank you all for your advice, pool maintenance should not be daunting if you follow a few simple rules and test the water before adjusting the chemicals.

Oh and by the way, he did take the plastic cover off the end of the pump and spun it manually to clear the sand that was preventing the pump from spinning when switched on.