British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Sale of hotel & golf courses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sale-hotel-golf-courses-906106/)

EsuriJohn Jan 28th 2018 5:29 pm

Re: Sale of hotel & golf courses

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12429239)
Thanks John, I’ll look forward to them bringing their hotel expertise to CE then!:)

No idea what expertise they may have but they do have €4.2 m to buy what is left of Costa Esuri except the commercial center. I’ll bet they all play golf though!

AndyS Jan 28th 2018 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12429249)
No idea what expertise they may have but they do have €4.2 m to buy what is left of Costa Esuri except the commercial center. I’ll bet they all play golf though!

If they all play golf they’ll pretty quickly recognise the potential for the course and hopefully invest in it. Be short sighted to have a hotel with golf course adjacent and not want to attract lots of paying punters :fingerscrossed:

EsuriJohn Jan 28th 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12429255)
If they all play golf they’ll pretty quickly recognise the potential for the course and hopefully invest in it. Be short sighted to have a hotel with golf course adjacent and not want to attract lots of paying punters :fingerscrossed:

🏌️‍♂️👍👍👍

shirley and anthony hide Jan 29th 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12429255)

Obviously because of my avatar I can't have fingers or anything else crossed.But
maybe ,just maybe ,CE is going to wake up from its 10 year hibernation and blossom .
Mind you I have to keep re-pumping up my arm bands waiting for the water park to be started/finished and opened

EsuriJohn Jan 29th 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide (Post 12429801)
Obviously because of my avatar I can't have fingers or anything else crossed.But
maybe ,just maybe ,CE is going to wake up from its 10 year hibernation and blossom .
Mind you I have to keep re-pumping up my arm bands waiting for the water park to be started/finished and opened

I look out of the windows each day to the south, west and north and see newly constructed villas up to roof level and work steaming ahead. Also to the north there are the columns (shuttering struck today) for the new high class restaurant which we are told will serve Thai food as a speciality to open in spring. On the west course there are another 5 or 6 villas started. This may not be the beginning of the end but it is a start. If the hotel gets some cranes back soon I shall raise a flag.

tessy20 Jan 29th 2018 4:32 pm

Hi
I must have missed the news on the Thai restaurant. Can someone confirm where it is going to be in CE.
Thanks

neil77 Jan 29th 2018 4:34 pm

go past the shop to the end of the road, turn right, first left then I think first right and its on you left on the bend up on the bank. I heard its opening in June. Be a nice contrast

EsuriJohn Jan 29th 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by tessy20 (Post 12429902)
Hi
I must have missed the news on the Thai restaurant. Can someone confirm where it is going to be in CE.
Thanks

I was careful not to describe it as a Thai restaurant it will serve a whole range of dishes. It is on the hill on the way up to Las Colinas.

tessy20 Jan 29th 2018 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by neil77 (Post 12429906)
go past the shop to the end of the road, turn right, first left then I think first right and its on you left on the bend up on the bank. I heard its opening in June. Be a nice contrast

Great thank you.

Michaelh Jan 29th 2018 8:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Esuri Golf course last weekend

keithBT Jan 30th 2018 12:57 pm

Any new resto, Thai or otherwise would be a huge welcome. Regarding the building - are we talking about the derelict half finished building overlooking the golf course? As you go up the hill there is a cul-de-sac on the left with the building at the end. As I recall it it has a a kind if galleried landing overlooking the main room inside. Four months to complete it would seem reasonable with determination, but there is a lot of work to do due to the vandalism inside. Will be great when open, the design and views are excellent!! ( If I have the right building).

keithBT Jan 30th 2018 1:01 pm

Oooops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read Esuri Johns post and I gather its a new building. Ignore previous post.

MikeJ Jan 30th 2018 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by neil77 (Post 12428779)
H2O just posted on their facebook page that they've signed another contract to keep running the golf course and club. Mind, that contract could be with new owners?

Judging by MichaelH's photo it's the golf course that needs H2O not the other way round :rofl::rofl:

shirley and anthony hide Feb 20th 2018 1:14 pm

Well, its the 20th February. I don't suppose anyone has seen any men in business suits looking like they mean the business, loitering around Ayamonte with attache cases stuffed with banknotes ?

enri Feb 20th 2018 4:03 pm

It is supposed signed far away of Ayamonte, in La Coruña, 1000 Km from here.
Martin Fadesa has the headquarter there.
We wait for news!!

guesswork Feb 20th 2018 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by enri (Post 12446620)
It is supposed signed far away of Ayamonte, in La Coruña, 1000 Km from here.
Martin Fadesa has the headquarter there.
We wait for news!!

I also heard they could sign in Ayamonte or La Coruna

AndyS Feb 20th 2018 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by guesswork (Post 12446692)
I also heard they could sign in Ayamonte or La Coruna

So long as they sign it, it can be in Timbuktoo:)

AndyS Feb 22nd 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12446722)
So long as they sign it, it can be in Timbuktoo:)

Does anyone have any news on the signing?

EsuriJohn Feb 22nd 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12448407)

The signing took place as stated by the Mayor in A Corunna and cheques were deposited for the unpaid IBI AND EUC payments so the consortium have paid over €4. No sign of cranes at the hotel yet!

csrich Feb 22nd 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12448491)
The signing took place as stated by the Mayor in A Corunna and cheques were deposited for the unpaid IBI AND EUC payments so the consortium have paid over €4. No sign of cranes at the hotel yet!

I am surprised this hasn't appeared on the local government Facebook page and in the Huelva on line press announcements.
Good news for all in any event.

AndyS Feb 22nd 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks John. I was confident that, if anybody would know, it would be you. We’re over in June so everything crossed that, as I come over the bridge, I will see cranes operating:fingerscrossed:

EsuriJohn Feb 22nd 2018 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by csrich (Post 12448494)
I am surprised this hasn't appeared on the local government Facebook page and in the Huelva on line press announcements.
Good news for all in any event.

It could be the Mayor is holding back until a photo-op can be organised in front of the skeleton hotel with the new investors where he can wax lyrical about the new employment opportunities offered by a 150 bedroom hotel and the size of future investment opportunities.

BILL AND CLAIRE Feb 22nd 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12448407)

The signing did not happen..Apparently it has been delayed.???
Looks like Same ---- different day.

AndyS Feb 28th 2018 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 12448597)
The signing did not happen..Apparently it has been delayed.???
Looks like Same ---- different day.

Are there any more updates please or has it all gone horribly quiet?
Thanks

EsuriJohn Feb 28th 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12452960)
Are there any more updates please or has it all gone horribly quiet?
Thanks

Horribly quiet! However there are 7 in the consortium and two know about running golf courses so I assume the other 5 know hotels and money!

AndyS Feb 28th 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12452985)
Horribly quiet! However there are 7 in the consortium and two know about running golf courses so I assume the other 5 know hotels and money!

:goodpost:

Jon-Bxl Mar 1st 2018 7:29 am

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12452985)

Oooooooooops, best not to 'assume' when it comes to CE & money 💰 don't hold your breath.... But keep fingers crossed!🤞
Jon

Teed Up Mar 1st 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12453371)
Oooooooooops, best not to 'assume' when it comes to CE & money 💰 don't hold your breath.... But keep fingers crossed!🤞
Jon

Be careful what you wish for?, the golf side of things are really busy at Esuri already.

The days of just strolling up and getting on are well past, most days the car park is busy, in fact Esuri as a whole is moving along nicely, there must be at least 10-12 villa's near or under construction.

The Restaurant on the hill is well out of the ground with the roof finished, and he has plans for 4 more villa's on the same hill, and going by what he's already had built on Esuri they will be top class:fingerscrossed:.

The banks have had men on Esuri,clearing gardens and tidying up the properties ready for resale.

Even the shop has invested in a full wrap around awning complete with gas heating,windows and all done professionally.

I'm in no hurry to be paying 4 Euro for a coffee in a hotel on the hill,and not being able to book a tee time till after 11 am each day??,

Ken.

AndyS Mar 1st 2018 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Teed Up (Post 12453477)
Be careful what you wish for?, the golf side of things are really busy at Esuri already.

The days of just strolling up and getting on are well past, most days the car park is busy, in fact Esuri as a whole is moving along nicely, there must be at least 10-12 villa's near or under construction.

The Restaurant on the hill is well out of the ground with the roof finished, and he has plans for 4 more villa's on the same hill, and going by what he's already had built on Esuri they will be top class:fingerscrossed:.

The banks have had men on Esuri,clearing gardens and tidying up the properties ready for resale.

Even the shop has invested in a full wrap around awning complete with gas heating,windows and all done professionally.

I'm in no hurry to be paying 4 Euro for a coffee in a hotel on the hill,and not being able to book a tee time till after 11 am each day??,

Ken.

Ken, it’s good to hear more positive news about Esuri. I’m interested in your comments about the golf. Has the course condition been improved? Last time I played it (admittedly over a year ago) I thought the fairways were pretty poor, so decided not to play it again until I heard that things improved. What’s your opinion?
Andy

EMR Mar 1st 2018 12:03 pm

Ken.

Hope you do not end up with the 5hr rounds we have to experience in the Algarve at peak times. when the large Scandinavian tour groups arrive..
For a few years we enjoyed relatively uncrowded rounds In the courses we played while the development company struggled.
The hotel group that finally bought it now offers really good value packages and it has certainly paid off for them.

Jon-Bxl Mar 1st 2018 2:37 pm

Ken.

Hi Ken

Yes things are moving forward in general. Love the news about the new resto. The car parks were packed in ME last year. We've enjoyed the new terrace at 'the local' already - great job. As the song says 'things can only get better'. Something everyone knows I've been wanting for YEARS

However this whole thread is about the sale of the hotel and courses. Most of the discussions are seeing the completion of the hotel AND professional golf owners taking over the golf - as positive.

I am not at all surprised that there are more delays about the MONEY, hence my comments. After 12 years... Been there, read the book, got the T shirt :)

I personally feel that finishing the hotel will be hugely positive. To clean up that mess right at the gateway to CE. Buldozing the commercial centre (or making something of it) can also only augment the environment around an already improving CE.IMO.

I'm not a golfer, so I didn't think of course times. I can now understand your frustration there now, thanks. Who knows they may even open the 2nd course, doubling the options. If there's a huge demand from golfers its possible? Would that be positive for you, as a golfer?

I'd rather have a new hotel (with bars, resto,facilities etc) as an option, rather than none at all, after all its my decision NOT to pay 5€ for a coffee. Also hotels often have special deals (eg the buffet in IC, New Years Eve in M-Gordo etc).

Let's discuss over a few drinks, and change the world (again). :) See you both soon...:)

Jon

Teed Up Mar 1st 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12453524)
Ken, it’s good to hear more positive news about Esuri. I’m interested in your comments about the golf. Has the course condition been improved? Last time I played it (admittedly over a year ago) I thought the fairways were pretty poor, so decided not to play it again until I heard that things improved. What’s your opinion?
Andy

Hi Andy,

Its a hard one,we are members of Esuri, so play about twice a week, which works out at around 25E, a game,so can live with that.

But also play the courses around Esuri, played El Rompido North few weeks ago, and Benamor in January with Chris Truter, in fact have played most courses within twenty mile radius.

so apart from Monte Rei,which excels, the rest all have issues?, the 1st being the price!:

benamor 45e
El Rompido 50e

But also the condition,Spain and Portugal are both suffering severe lack of rain over the last few years,(bit more coming down now) so its hard to keep lovely fairways,lush greens and the rest of a golf course upto scratch all the time, H20 are not green keepers, but a construction company looking after a golf course?.

But to be fair they are doing all they can with the elements and resources they have, its easy to knock the course,but to me its a lovely course in a fantastic setting, with a great club house and very friendly members,so i'm staying:thumbsup:

Ken.

AndyS Mar 1st 2018 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Teed Up (Post 12453687)
Hi Andy,

Its a hard one,we are members of Esuri, so play about twice a week, which works out at around 25E, a game,so can live with that.

But also play the courses around Esuri, played El Rompido North few weeks ago, and Benamor in January with Chris Truter, in fact have played most courses within twenty mile radius.

so apart from Monte Rei,which excels, the rest all have issues?, the 1st being the price!:

benamor 45e
El Rompido 50e

But also the condition,Spain and Portugal are both suffering severe lack of rain over the last few years,(bit more coming down now) so its hard to keep lovely fairways,lush greens and the rest of a golf course upto scratch all the time, H20 are not green keepers, but a construction company looking after a golf course?.

But to be fair they are doing all they can with the elements and resources they have, its easy to knock the course,but to me its a lovely course in a fantastic setting, with a great club house and very friendly members,so i'm staying:thumbsup:

Ken.

Ken, an interesting read thanks and I agree with all you’ve said and 25E is certainly a bargain. Of all the local courses (excluding the fabulous Monte Rei) I actually think CE is one of the best layouts so my hope is that, with the right level of investment and expertise, it will achieve its potential.:fingerscrossed:

EsuriJohn Mar 1st 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 12453955)
Ken, an interesting read thanks and I agree with all you’ve said and 25E is certainly a bargain. Of all the local courses (excluding the fabulous Monte Rei) I actually think CE is one of the best layouts so my hope is that, with the right level of investment and expertise, it will achieve its potential.:fingerscrossed:

When they get the hotel open they are going to have to bring back the second course to cope with the numbers. The clubs with integral hotels on both sides of the river both have two courses and MR is building a second 18 as it develops its play and stay potential.

Teed Up Mar 2nd 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12453650)
Hi Ken

Yes things are moving forward in general. Love the news about the new resto. The car parks were packed in ME last year. We've enjoyed the new terrace at 'the local' already - great job. As the song says 'things can only get better'. Something everyone knows I've been wanting for YEARS

However this whole thread is about the sale of the hotel and courses. Most of the discussions are seeing the completion of the hotel AND professional golf owners taking over the golf - as positive.

I am not at all surprised that there are more delays about the MONEY, hence my comments. After 12 years... Been there, read the book, got the T shirt :)

I personally feel that finishing the hotel will be hugely positive. To clean up that mess right at the gateway to CE. Buldozing the commercial centre (or making something of it) can also only augment the environment around an already improving CE.IMO.

I'm not a golfer, so I didn't think of course times. I can now understand your frustration there now, thanks. Who knows they may even open the 2nd course, doubling the options. If there's a huge demand from golfers its possible? Would that be positive for you, as a golfer?

I'd rather have a new hotel (with bars, resto,facilities etc) as an option, rather than none at all, after all its my decision NOT to pay 5€ for a coffee. Also hotels often have special deals (eg the buffet in IC, New Years Eve in M-Gordo etc).

Let's discuss over a few drinks, and change the world (again). :) See you both soon...:)

Jon

Hi Jon,

Don't get me wrong i would love to see the hotel open,and more people coming and going using all the facilities, but even if they turned up next Monday it would still be around two three years before it was all singing all dancing hotel resort.

Its whats happening on Esuri now that matters and makes more sense to me, the proposed sale does not include the empty shopping centre at the roundabout as you enter Esuri, so that's staying as is for now!!.

The demographics of Esuri mean most people who reside,live there are living on Pensions savings, pretty much a fixed income,if we had 4 restaurants and 5 bars, they wouldn't be full each day/ night, but weekends and special occasions, then come Easter/Summer months you would struggle to get in them. Like at home you don't eat out or go for a drink every night(Your not included in that:lol:)

So its hard to run a business on those terms and keep good staff with decent wages.

Ken.

AndyS Mar 2nd 2018 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12454004)
When they get the hotel open they are going to have to bring back the second course to cope with the numbers. The clubs with integral hotels on both sides of the river both have two courses and MR is building a second 18 as it develops its play and stay potential.

Please let them bring back the second course, then my plot overlooking a lake and green (oops currently stagnant pond and scrubland) might actually be worth something!! Be nice for you as well John to look down on a lush green fairway:)

Jon-Bxl Mar 5th 2018 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Teed Up (Post 12454309)
Hi Jon,

Don't get me wrong i would love to see the hotel open,and more people coming and going using all the facilities, but even if they turned up next Monday it would still be around two three years before it was all singing all dancing hotel resort.

Its whats happening on Esuri now that matters and makes more sense to me, the proposed sale does not include the empty shopping centre at the roundabout as you enter Esuri, so that's staying as is for now!!.

The demographics of Esuri mean most people who reside,live there are living on Pensions savings, pretty much a fixed income,if we had 4 restaurants and 5 bars, they wouldn't be full each day/ night, but weekends and special occasions, then come Easter/Summer months you would struggle to get in them. Like at home you don't eat out or go for a drink every night(Your not included in that:lol:)

So its hard to run a business on those terms and keep good staff with decent wages.

Ken.

Now now Ken, that's the second time you've joked about my enjoyment of food+drink! You'll ruin my international reputation as the tee-totallin', bible thumpin' & preachin' Vegan CE resident :)

I'm glad we agree on the hotel, I misunderstood you there, when you asked me to be careful what I wish for. Of course I don't expect any quick fix, as I've said many times 'don't hold your breath'. We bought virtually off plan - since then every change has taken interminably long. We're all used to it, and to disappointment over unachieved 'rumours'. I don't even know if all this has even been sold!

I do wish for something like I was promised on purchase. I celebrate the 'baby-steps' we have made so far and will in the future. But I wont get what I wish for in my lifetime. Maybe(?) the hotel will give it a kick start - it is anyway an improvement, hey a Marina would too!!!

Whilst I agree to much of your point on the demographics - I don't fully agree. Monte Francisco is far smaller - go there now in low season and you'll see many houses closed up, so there are also many holiday homes there. Yet the choice of bars-restos is significantly more.

Like many large communities there is a mix of wealth here. As you mentioned, on one hand - look at the villas going up...then... also people on limited pension-like budgets.

I feel there is room for a properly managed (for the demographics) Jags/19H (regardless of the actual location). We had that before with a far lower population. The GC is expensive - we can see it from our place and in the evenings often virtually empty. You and I love the shop which we call 'the local', but many (e.g those we know as friends) really don't share that feeling and prefer not to go there much. Great they have the option and prefer to pay a taxi into town to use the facilities there.

There's got to be room for more! Properly planned and priced and managed. Everything from a Hotel- Kiosko - Asian resto - new bar . Tuned to seasonal variation geared to the community (like we see all over e.g Spain)

Finally golf is an expensive hobby as you say on this thread. We often have a drink with golfers at the club after the game - who can all afford the prices. If my food+drink budget was as high as your (plural) food+drink+golf budget I'd be drinking champers and eating fillet steak a LOT more! :)

Maybe see you at MC tonight... we'll have a good-priced drink at our local! :)

Cheers
Jon

Teed Up Mar 5th 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12456304)
Now now Ken, that's the second time you've joked about my enjoyment of food+drink! You'll ruin my international reputation as the tee-totallin', bible thumpin' & preachin' Vegan CE resident :)

I'm glad we agree on the hotel, I misunderstood you there, when you asked me to be careful what I wish for. Of course I don't expect any quick fix, as I've said many times 'don't hold your breath'. We bought virtually off plan - since then every change has taken interminably long. We're all used to it, and to disappointment over unachieved 'rumours'. I don't even know if all this has even been sold!

I do wish for something like I was promised on purchase. I celebrate the 'baby-steps' we have made so far and will in the future. But I wont get what I wish for in my lifetime. Maybe(?) the hotel will give it a kick start - it is anyway an improvement, hey a Marina would too!!!

Whilst I agree to much of your point on the demographics - I don't fully agree. Monte Francisco is far smaller - go there now in low season and you'll see many houses closed up, so there are also many holiday homes there. Yet the choice of bars-restos is significantly more.

Like many large communities there is a mix of wealth here. As you mentioned, on one hand - look at the villas going up...then... also people on limited pension-like budgets.

I feel there is room for a properly managed (for the demographics) Jags/19H (regardless of the actual location). We had that before with a far lower population. The GC is expensive - we can see it from our place and in the evenings often virtually empty. You and I love the shop which we call 'the local', but many (e.g those we know as friends) really don't share that feeling and prefer not to go there much. Great they have the option and prefer to pay a taxi into town to use the facilities there.

There's got to be room for more! Properly planned and priced and managed. Everything from a Hotel- Kiosko - Asian resto - new bar . Tuned to seasonal variation geared to the community (like we see all over e.g Spain)

Finally golf is an expensive hobby as you say on this thread. We often have a drink with golfers at the club after the game - who can all afford the prices. If my food+drink budget was as high as your (plural) food+drink+golf budget I'd be drinking champers and eating fillet steak a LOT more! :)

Maybe see you at MC tonight... we'll have a good-priced drink at our local! :)

Cheers
Jon

Would love to join you later, would even pay for the Champers!!:eek:, but i'm stuck in cold wet blighty?, back in ten days so will definitely catch up then and have a Day/Night out with you both,:thumbsup:.

Ken.

Jon-Bxl Mar 5th 2018 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Teed Up (Post 12456384)
Would love to join you later, would even pay for the Champers!!:eek:, but i'm stuck in cold wet blighty?, back in ten days so will definitely catch up then and have a Day/Night out with you both,:thumbsup:.

Hi Ken.

Its wet and windy here. We went to lunch in Tavira, the news was all about the TORNADO that really messed up homes, sadly, and ripped out trees etc. There was even a report from Castro Marim.

You'll miss all that when you get here... See you then Ill get the steak :)

Jon

keithBT Mar 23rd 2018 5:04 pm

Looks like NO news is NOT good news. I'm sure had the sale gone through the Mayor of Ayamonte would have appeared on the front cover of the local paper Huelva Informacion shaking hands with the new owners but I've seen nothing!

Better luck next year I guess.:(