Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Safety in Spain ?

Safety in Spain ?

Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety in Spain ?

Originally Posted by amideislas
My observation as well.
Where you have more people, you have more thefts, especially pickpockets in Barcelona, Madrid etc.. I doubt that it just occurs where the expats live though and anti-social behaviour has nothing to do with expats either.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:42 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

That may be true, but in general, I find the Spanish to be a bit morally less inclined. They really seem to despise that kind of thing. There are other things which many Spanish take a bit different view on, which we might find morally upsetting, such as animal rights, or even the lack of guilt for wholly misrepresenting a property they sell you at well-over-market-price, but petty theft seems to be a big no-no.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:43 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Barcelona, pickpocket capital of the world | Daily Mail Online

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-s...l-of-the-world

I read an article about it recently and I believe that the main problem is that the law is an ass.
If no violence occurs then the thieves cannot be detained or imprisoned so there are lots of professional thieves out there who have committed many hundreds of thefts and the minute they walk out of the cop shop it's back to business as usual again.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Nov 18th 2015 at 8:50 am. Reason: Add on
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:53 am
Just Joined

EdinWigan is an unknown quantity at this point

What about street robbery , against the individual? (Muggings) possibly a Alicante City perspective, or wider will do
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:03 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Two can play:

Britain named as one of Europe's crime hotspots · Survey finds highest rate of burglary in the EU

Brussels is 'EU burglary capital'

SCOTLAND AND HOLLAND WORST IN EUROPE FOR BURGLARY

More than 15,000 Burglaries in Norway

Denmark has second most break-ins in Europe
Frankfurt Germany's biggest crime city
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Pickpocketing in tourist areas and Barcelona/Madrid is a big problem in Spain, but this isnt mugging as there is no confrontation or violence

All other crimes Spain scores very well on. Across them all, it is the safest country in Europe and always has been

But, you must take precautions of course, especially when living in an area full of foreigners. Foreigners make up 8% of the population but 50% of the prison population!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:48 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Two can play:
]
My oh my, you have been busy,
..I wasn't really looking to play games and as the topic and this forum relate to Spain, I just thought it worth mentioning to avoid any undue complacency which may have resulted from previous posts.

I think the second link I posted contains some excellent advice about how the various scams are perpetrated, but the main thing to remember is if you are approached or have any distraction at all however innocent it may appear, the first thing to do is keep a tight hold of your wallet or handbag.

I presume handbag snatching is classed as pick pocketing and is probably the most common crime of that type. However it may get to the stage where it's best to let go, rather than get dragged along the street and injured when the thief is using a car or M/c. Whether or not this is also classed as pick pocketing rather than a crime involving violence, I know not ?
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:52 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Pickpocketing in tourist areas and Barcelona/Madrid is a big problem in Spain, but this isnt mugging as there is no confrontation or violence

All other crimes Spain scores very well on. Across them all, it is the safest country in Europe and always has been

But, you must take precautions of course, especially when living in an area full of foreigners. Foreigners make up 8% of the population but 50% of the prison population!
Bloody foreigners, to blame for everything, eh C'man ?

Now, I just forget, where did you say you were from ?
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:10 am
Banned

All I know is that burglaries and petty street crimes in my neighbourhood and virtually all other traditional Mallorquin towns are pretty low - it's usually front page news if there is a burglary or other petty crime at all. And the locals just don't seem to have it in them. Just not their way.

But just over there in Calvia, the expat capitol of Mallorca (I've lived there), you need to keep things pretty well bolted up. Burglaries are very common, petty crimes, etc...

Now, I'm not suggesting that Brits or any one nationality are the perps. But I do sense that the centuries-old values that prevail in the traditional Spanish communities are still pretty prevalent.

And as far as news reports, I do find it a bit amusing that virtually every major city is the "European Capitol" of crime.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 18th 2015 at 10:12 am.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

It stands to reason that rural isolated properties are at more risk of burglary, theft etc, from my time in Spain i would say crime is no greater than in the UK and as has been said is generally lower.

Rural theft in the UK is a huge problem, in fact when gas oil was at a higher price people were scared to order heating oil because the lorries were being followed, then in a few days your tank was empty, the NFU have a huge campaign to warn and advice farmers so i would not feel that Spain is any different, you have to lock/alarm all that you have just as you do anywhere.

We have had a burglary in Spain some 5 years ago and in the UK some 6 years ago, we have much better locks, good monitored alarms and are carefull about what we do/ show and have had no problems since, make your place look like a hard target and they will go somewhere else
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:52 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Damned immigrants, huh? Same in the UK - keep 'em out I say.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Damned immigrants, huh? Same in the UK - keep 'em out I say.
I am only stating a fact. Obviously I a a foreigner myself

By the way, only about 20% of the UK population are foreigners compared to 50% in Spain. It is a massive problem here!
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:32 pm
On the road again.

I am only stating a fact. Obviously I a a foreigner myself

By the way, only about 20% of the UK population are foreigners compared to 50% in Spain. It is a massive problem here!
So foreigners are a massive problem making up 50% of the Spanish population ?

Yet according to these figures only about 12.5 %, one quarter of your guesstimate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Spain

Statistics, statistics
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:39 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
So foreigners are a massive problem making up 50% of the Spanish population ?

Yet according to these figures only about 12.5 %, one quarter of your guesstimate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Spain

Statistics, statistics
I thnk he left out "in prison".
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:46 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jimenato
I thnk he left out "in prison".

Not sure what the present situation is, but a couple of years back half of them were building prisons to keep the other half locked up,
as all the prisons were full to overflowing.

I think what would please C'man, is if they built a big fence right around the Costa del Crime and called it an open prison.

Bloody foreigners, lock them all up I say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.