Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sad day For Ayamonte region

Sad day For Ayamonte region

Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:09 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sad day For Ayamonte region

The Costa de la Luz Resident went to print for the last time. A big thank you to Michael Halligan, for he wás the paper which so many of us read with great pleasure.

Here´s the link: http://www.theoraclenews.com/index.p...onal&Itemid=11

"Costa de la Luz Resident suspends publication "

"We are sorry to have to tell our readers and advertisers that this edition of the Costa de la Luz Resident will be the last for the foreseeable future.

While readers have welcomed the newspaper with open arms, the advertising support it has received from local businesses has not been enough to allow the Resident to continue publication in its current format.

This has led to us making the tough decision to suspend publication until further notice."
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

BobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to all
Default Re: Sad day For Ayamonte region

Originally Posted by Jur
The Costa de la Luz Resident went to print for the last time. A big thank you to Michael Halligan, for he wás the paper which so many of us read with great pleasure.

"We are sorry to have to tell our readers and advertisers that this edition of the Costa de la Luz Resident will be the last for the foreseeable future.

While readers have welcomed the newspaper with open arms, the advertising support it has received from local businesses has not been enough to allow the Resident to continue publication in its current format.

This has led to us making the tough decision to suspend publication until further notice."
You are right Jur, this is indeed a sad day. The Oracle, and then the Resident has been a 'must read' for those of us who only manage to get out to CE on an infrequent basis. It has been a great paper for keeping us up to date with the local news, and is always the first thing I collect from the Golf Club whenever we visit.

I know the fashion these days is for local 'free' papers to be funded wholly by advertising, but I for one would be happy to pay for this publication, and if it meant taking out a yearly subscription to provide the cash flow necessary to keep it going, I would happily pay this.

Lets hope they find a business model in the near future that will allow the paper to continue.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

jamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud of

Sadly I think the writing is on the wall for pretty much all free print publications. It's just impossible to maintain advertising support.

Hopefully downloadable eBooks/PDF's/printable versions will take over so we're not left with a complete vacuum. Failing that web sites. I fear the Huelva/Ayamonte expat community wouldn't be commercially viable though.

I remember the first time I worked on a magazine (requested controlled circ) that closed, was a sad day (that was during the late 80's/early 90's). It lived off the back of recruitment advertising which just died back then.

Thanks guys you did a good job.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

This is indeed bad news. Always found the Oracle and then the Resident extremely readable, and very useful.

Steve
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sad day For Ayamonte region

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
This is indeed bad news. Always found the Oracle and then the Resident extremely readable, and very useful.

Steve
Any one else remember the Guardiana now that was a paper with strong editorial views brought down I think by edgy comments on the legality of Fadesas relationships with various quasi governmental bodies.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Any one else remember the Guardiana now that was a paper with strong editorial views brought down I think by edgy comments on the legality of Fadesas relationships with various quasi governmental bodies.
Vaguely, J&K. Was it called the Guardiana or was that a typo?

Should the CDL Resident return to print, I wonder if people would consider paying €1 for a copy? (Local daily paper costing @ €1.20)
With internet access is the breaking news readily at one's fingertips?
I did enjoy reading (mainly online) the articles written by Michael H. (& team).
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:26 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Vaguely, J&K. Was it called the Guardiana or was that a typo?

Should the CDL Resident return to print, I wonder if people would consider paying €1 for a copy? (Local daily paper costing @ €1.20)
With internet access is the breaking news readily at one's fingertips?
I did enjoy reading (mainly online) the articles written by Michael H. (& team).
I think that was a wordjoke, The Guardian + Guadiana river.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

In all fairness the paper can't blame the lack of business support for their downfall. If they wanted advertising they should have put more effort into some sort of package deals. It has been a hard time for all businesses but not discounting in these hard times (especially when the paper is only 16 pages thick) has not helped either, especially when local businesses around here can't remember when the paper actually came round to sell advertising.

I know that this won't be a popular comment but there are 2 sides. And I do believe they will be resurrected soon in some form.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John & Kath
The Gaurdiana was a very much better publication than any of the papers that have come out since.

I do not know the full story if it's demises but the editor of the time, whom we all know, had some pretty strong views about many things and was also generally correct in his opinions, unfortunately this did not sit well with the main sponsors of the paper. Thus support withdrawn.

I understand that his edgy comments were all in the public domain and well founded.

I hope he can get get more funding, with less control, and start again.

Steve
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:13 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the first time its happened or did something similar happen before?

EDIT: Its OK, I thought it was the Oracle.... my bad.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:35 am
Jur

We´ve had these English papers in the last 8 years:

The Guardiana
The Oracle
The Costa de la Luz Resident
Luz It!

There have been more attempts but all failed, even though it seems on this forum that the Ayamonte area is heavily overrun by foreigners there are only about 1000 foreign residents registered in the Huelva province.

Now we´re stuck with some obscure mag called Luz de la Costa.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:24 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur

What a shame ! I always enjoyed the paper and some of the articles were excellent, Michael always was helpful when he used to post on this forum from time to time and his reports in the paper make for a good read.

Mel
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
We´ve had these English papers in the last 8 years:

The Guardiana
The Oracle
The Costa de la Luz Resident
Luz It!

There have been more attempts but all failed, even though it seems on this forum that the Ayamonte area is heavily overrun by foreigners there are only about 1000 foreign residents registered in the Huelva province.

Now we´re stuck with some obscure mag called Luz de la Costa.
Didn't you have the La Luz magazine as well? (from Cadiz Prov)
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:09 pm
Jur

Yes, a glossy. I´ve seen 2 editions here, that was the end of it. Also "Sur in English" has been distributed for a while. (5/6 years ago)

I guess there´s no real market here, also two on-line Costa Esuri forums died a silent death.