Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Old Feb 2nd 2021, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Thanks. I opened an account today and have sent my monthly € to Sabadell, easy stuff.

A suggestion: you could transfer £ to € in Revolut then transfer to TransferWise then on to Sabadell.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagoo
Thanks. I opened an account today and have sent my monthly € to Sabadell, easy stuff.

A suggestion: you could transfer £ to € in Revolut then transfer to TransferWise then on to Sabadell.
i did wonder that but i suspect the Belgium IBAN that TransferWise use would charge for receiving from a GB IBAN, as i say, i don't know but wouldn't be surprised
Old Feb 4th 2021, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I use a standing order to move sterling from Lloyds to my sterling Transferwise account (no charges) Then change that sterling to €uros within Transferwise accounts (small charge) then move it in seconds to Sabadell account (no charges) All very easy to go and problem-free with of course the highest exchange rates.

This to me seems the perfect solution - if anyone has a better one I am listening.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I use a standing order to move sterling from Lloyds to my sterling Transferwise account (no charges) Then change that sterling to €uros within Transferwise accounts (small charge) then move it in seconds to Sabadell account (no charges) All very easy to go and problem-free with of course the highest exchange rates.

This to me seems the perfect solution - if anyone has a better one I am listening.
It certainly seems it at the moment, Revolut was the cheapest as the rate was the city rate as per TransferWise but no charges to exchange or send, up to GBP 1000 a month, but unfortunately Revoluts Euro IBAN is GB if your UK resident so no good anymore
Old Feb 4th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
It certainly seems it at the moment, Revolut was the cheapest as the rate was the city rate as per TransferWise but no charges to exchange or send, up to GBP 1000 a month, but unfortunately Revoluts Euro IBAN is GB if your UK resident so no good anymore
Revolut has a European banking licence set up in 2018 in Lithuania. If you are a customer resident in EU you should have received a notification from them of the change .
Old Feb 4th 2021, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

My €uro transferwise account has a Belgian IBAN works like a dream.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for TransferWise. We got stung with the Sabadell Euro18 charge in January so set up a TransferWise account. No problem setting up the account, used it today to send GBP 1000 to Sabadell and received the funds in minutes with only a small deduction for fees exactly as listed by TransferWise. No deductions by Sabadell.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agree totally - seeing the pound had reached the dizzy heights of 1.14+ yesterday I moved more from sterling from Lloyds UK>Transferwise, changed to €uros>Sabadell

all done in under 5 minutes.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

i did wonder that but i suspect the Belgium IBAN that TransferWise use would charge for receiving from a GB IBAN, as i say, i don't know but wouldn't be surprised
From their fees page: "Add money to your balances for free by making a bank transfer to your bank details."

I transferred 1.000€ from Revolut to TransferWise and there was no fee. ** NB This was by setting up a payment in Revolut, rather than telling TransferWise to go get the money (which I think does incur a charge). ** Plus Revolut sems to give a slightly better rate.

Still it's only pennies difference and as spainrico says with the £ @1.14 we're all rich
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

I saw this on Money Saver Spain website - not saying it applies to charges on receiving money from non-EU - but could be interesting...
Bank fees - do you have the right to claim them back?

The Spanish Government and the Autonomous Communities have agreed that unilateral decisions made by banks to change the terms of commission-free accounts may not be valid. This opens the possibility for consumers to make a claim through their Municipal Consumer Office. You'll need to be able to show proof of the conditions of the account when you opened it - check with your local Consumer Office for more details.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

The 18€ is in their T&Cs; it's the UK that's changed, not Sabadell.

However since about a year ago they charge 5€ / month which is new. Interesting indeed
Old Feb 11th 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I remember a few years ago when they paid me a few euros every month!
Old Feb 12th 2021, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Im with Sabadell and I checked it out this week. I have an Expansion Acc which you have to transfer approx 700euros per month by DD. This usd to make the account free, now they charge 15 euros quarterly. The money is moved via a Regular transfer arrangement. The account is free if I have another product with the eg Home insurance.

If you use a Currency Company make sue about the charges I used to use HiFx now called XE. Their process was they move the cash from their UK account to their account in Spain. Then they paid it to my account in Spain and it became a Domestic transfer. No charges to the customer. Different companies have different systems
Old Feb 12th 2021, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
Im with Sabadell and I checked it out this week. I have an Expansion Acc which you have to transfer approx 700euros per month by DD. This usd to make the account free, now they charge 15 euros quarterly. The money is moved via a Regular transfer arrangement. The account is free if I have another product with the eg Home insurance.

If you use a Currency Company make sue about the charges I used to use HiFx now called XE. Their process was they move the cash from their UK account to their account in Spain. Then they paid it to my account in Spain and it became a Domestic transfer. No charges to the customer. Different companies have different systems
XE still do move currency pots. They also keep an amount in each currency they trade in for larger transfers. Its how they make their money.

When we purchased the flat they split the transfer into €10,000 euro lots and informed me it was to prevent bank charges as some banks charge for large deposits. Ive been happy with them and have used them to transfer US$, CA$, AU$,€ and even Yen for a purchase I made in China.
I don't make regular transfers and I have no idea if you can set up a monthly transfer with them.
I watch the exchange rate and, if I need to make a transfer I do it then.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

radarrat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, I have a regular payment sent from my Revolut euro account to my Sabadell account, it's for €710 to keep the benefits of the expansion account, today the payment was received , this time the bank has charged €18 for the pleasure, anyone found a way around this, going into the bank isn't an option as I'm based in the UK and we are not allowed out!

Anyone know a bank that doesn't charge for none EU transfers in euros? Or maybe a transfer company, realise this is all pretty new but thought i would ask, cheers
Exact same thing happened to me, I’m resident in Gibraltar but have a property in Spain. It was going to be a huge problem for me, however, i’ve literally just discovered a loophole. Whether or not it helps you I don’t know, but here goes:- If you have friends/family members who have Revolut and are resident in Spain/EEA, their IBAN is different. It’s a Lithuanian IBAN and as Lithuania (LT) is EU, there’s your loophole! Basically all I have to do now, is carry out the fx on Revolut and send it to my Aunt (as a contact, not her bank account) and thereafter, she can transfer to my Sabadell account. As it’s EU, no fees! Sincerely hope this helps you and you either have friends you can trust or family in an EU country . Sabadell are thieves. They confirmed to me via twitter that to receive a transfer from an IBAN outside the EEA there’s a 0.35% charge, with a minimum of €18. 😤

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.