S1 or not?

Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default S1 or not?

A friend has asked me to clarify whether she can be on her husband's healthcare. He has been here since 2008 and has a SIP card. They got married in 2014. Can she latch onto his healthcare entitlements? She is 56 and he retired this year at 65. Will he have to reapply using an S1?
She has been told she won't be able to go onto his healthcare entitlements. If she can what will the procedure be?

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Jun 9th 2019 at 8:21 am.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: S1 or not?

My view.
If he is in receipt of a government pension, therefore entitled to a S1 and he requests same naming her as a dependent then she can latch on to his entitlement as you put it.
This could well change in the future if/when the B word happens.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
A friend has asked me to clarify whether she can be on her husband's healthcare. He has been here since 2008 and has a SIP card. They got married in 2014. Can she latch onto his healthcare entitlements? She is 56 and he retired this year at 65. Will he have to reapply using an S1?
She has been told she won't be able to go onto his healthcare entitlements. If she can what will the procedure be?

Thanks
Steve
Speak to the NHS Avisory services, as a pensioner I have received an S1 and my wife was included so we could register with the Spanish health Services although she is yet to reach pensionable age.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

He already has his SIP card as he has been here since 2008 but only became pension age a couple of months ago. When they got married in 2014 she expected to be put onto his healthcare entitlements but was told at that time that she was not entitled!! I'm sure that's incorrect. Is there a simple procedure to add her to his healthcare entitlements or does he have to start from scratch and apply using an S1?

Steve
Old Jun 9th 2019, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
He already has his SIP card as he has been here since 2008 but only became pension age a couple of months ago. When they got married in 2014 she expected to be put onto his healthcare entitlements but was told at that time that she was not entitled!! I'm sure that's incorrect. Is there a simple procedure to add her to his healthcare entitlements or does he have to start from scratch and apply using an S1?

Steve
Just tell him to give the NHS a call, all will be explained they are generally very helpful. Lots of useful info and contact here in link
As a dependent she should be entitled.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain
Old Jun 9th 2019, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me (please correct me if wrong) that the husband had healthcare without needing an S1 under the rule of being Spanish resident pre 2012? How that is applied to someone as a dependanti.e. that they marry after getting that right I don't know as that will depend on Spanish healthcare rules. However given the husband is now UK retirement age surely he can simply obtain an S1 and enter the Spanish health system under the S1 method claiming is wife as a dependant? I am assuming there is no other reason that the husband would not be entitled to obtain an S1? He may for instance be 65 but not state pension age under the new rules? I have had to wait an extra 5 months from getting to 65 to get state pension and S1 due to the recent changes.

Last edited by bobd22; Jun 9th 2019 at 10:14 am.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
It sounds to me (please correct me if wrong) that the husband had healthcare without needing an S1 under the rule of being Spanish resident pre 2012? How that is applied to someone as a dependanti.e. that they marry after getting that right I don't know as that will depend on Spanish healthcare rules. However given the husband is now UK retirement age surely he can simply obtain an S1 and enter the Spanish health system under the S1 method claiming is wife as a dependant?
bobd22 I think you have it correct. It will be easier for him to reapply using an S1 with her named as a dependant. I will suggest he does that. Thanks to everyone else.

Steve