Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RYANAIR TAKING RISKS?

RYANAIR TAKING RISKS?

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default RYANAIR TAKING RISKS?

I have never knocked Ryanair because I have never had a problem with them.

A while ago members of my Spanish family who work for AENA based at Madrid airport mentioned AENA were fed up with Ryanair demanding priority landing because they were low on fuel.

Today in the Euro Weekly News paper pg2 they report a Rynair arrived at Alicante but could not land due to excessive winds and so was diverted to Valencia where the aircraft only had enough fuel left to make one more attempt (fortunately successful) at landing before running out of fuel.

Makes you think does not it?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RYANAIR TAKING RISKS?

Nothing that man does surprises me. They accepted a booking from my sister Stansted to Granada on May 2nd and returning May 11th. After they had taken the money from her credit card for the flights they calmly informed her that they were no longer planning flights between Stansted and Granada from May 4th. They offered her a return flight from Malaga to Stansted, for which she would have to pay. They still have not reimbursed here for the original return flight, or for the £80 expenses she incurred because they cancelled the Malaga-Stansted flight on that day. Cheap and cheerful is one thing - blatant ripping off and hanging on to money they are not entitled to is another.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ihateryanair.co.uk/
It's been happening for a long time, it's nothing new!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4641716.ece
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

If you look at the CAA stats this is by no means confined to Ryanair. In fact ryanair pilots have issued fewer fuel panpans and maydays than some other airlines.

Even though I think Uncle Mick to be a most distasteful individual, his marketing skill does run to realising that killing 150 people would damage his bonus for a year or two.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

I'm still fuming about them cancelling U.K. to Granada flights, especially when they are still flying to 2 other destinations from Granada, I heard their original contract for Granada ends in October but no other airline could take up the lost summer months because of that. The lost revenue to Granada must be hurting, and I hate Malaga airport!!!!!!

I had had also booked a U.K.-Granada flight which was then cancelled but was given the choice of flying to Malaga, I accepted that offer, but changed the dates to suit alternative means of transport and even added another 2 days on, there was no extra charge even though at the time the fares were much higher than I originally paid.
However adding another 128kms each way to my journey didn't make up for that.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:35 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
If you look at the CAA stats this is by no means confined to Ryanair. In fact ryanair pilots have issued fewer fuel panpans and maydays than some other airlines.

Even though I think Uncle Mick to be a most distasteful individual, his marketing skill does run to realising that killing 150 people would damage his bonus for a year or two.
But Ryanair features strongly in the category of near crashes, incidents that could easily have become accidents, missed apporach at cork springs to mind where the pilot screwed up the approach and failed to properly execute a go around, both the recent Tripoli and Bangalore crashes are currently being ascribed to improperly executed go arounds, 300 dead.

I was on a Ryanair flight 3 years ago that frightened the bejebaz out of me and everybody else on the plane, promissed that I would never fly them again. They are an accident awaiting passengers to plough into the ground.

Last month the Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit issued a report on a "serious incident" involving a Ryanair plane attempting to land at Cork airport in June last year. The captain failed to perform a standard procedure known as a "go-around" after aborting a landing and instead banked in a tight circle to try again minutes later, bringing the plane within 425 feet of the ground and alarming residents.It was the fourth incident within two years, following a near-crash at Knock airport in March 2006, and troubled approaches at Rome airport in September 2005 and at Skavsta airport in Sweden in July 2004.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

kyles Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
I have never knocked Ryanair because I have never had a problem with them.

A while ago members of my Spanish family who work for AENA based at Madrid airport mentioned AENA were fed up with Ryanair demanding priority landing because they were low on fuel.

Today in the Euro Weekly News paper pg2 they report a Rynair arrived at Alicante but could not land due to excessive winds and so was diverted to Valencia where the aircraft only had enough fuel left to make one more attempt (fortunately successful) at landing before running out of fuel.

Makes you think does not it?
that's very bad I'm told they should carry at least enough for 1 1/2 - 2 hours emergency flying time. They must have been flying on vapor.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I'm not going to leap to their defence because all these are genuine problems. However they are now the biggest carrier, in terms of passengers, and will be prominent in any bad news figures.

I booked BA, with 6 months notice, from London to Poland. A couple of months before they cancelled that route. Yes they refunded me, but by then the easyjet flights were an extra £100. They didn't compensate for that. I've also landed on a BA flight with such force that all the oxygen masks came down! We all have horror stories - Ryanair will have more of them because of their size.

Ryanair have been the biggest European carrier for several years. They have less crashes, crash landings and deaths than many national flag carriers. Including BA and Air France. And why shouldn't an airline close a route if it's not making money. That's what BA did with my Poland route, and what Ryanair did with Granada. That's just business - only a charity would do otherwise.

Google these things - you will find many more references to the national flag carrriers. Despite them flying fewer passengers than Ryanair.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Last month when the volcanic ash crisis first appeared I happened to be in Birmingham awaiting a flight back to Spain. I entered the airport to see that all flights from Birmingham had been cancelled bar one - the Ryanair flight to Alicante.
When I enquired I was told that it was down to the airline, not the airport, who would fly.
I spoke to a Ryanair representative who 'off the record' said that she wouldn't like to be getting on that plane. Needless to say I was pretty scared and thought the flight would be cancelled. It wasn't, and I made the decision to get on the plane, this was the only time I have ever been a nervous passenger. When I boarded I noticed that all the cabin crew were male, knowing that women have a spooky sixth sense this only compounded my fears.

Needless to say the flight went without a hitch, but it did make me wonder what exactly had transpired at Ryanair HQ, considering all other airlines grounded their planes.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

No airline CEO thinks all flights should have been cancelled. Nearly all of them flew through the stuff on test flights.

Having said that I don't think Uncle Mick was one of them.

Oh, and by the way - and whatever the airport staff said, the decision to close airspace had b**ger all to do with the airlines. It was a CAA decision.

And if CAA had banned the route to Alicante Ryanair, and everyone else, would not have been flying it.

Once again, I'm not defending Ryanair - just pointing out that they are all the same - and our views are dictated by our individual experiences (good or bad) rather than examination of the facts.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial pilots having to make a mayday call because of low fuel stand to loose their license and I`m sure there would be an inquiry for a pan call as well.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and by the way - and whatever the airport staff said, the decision to close airspace had b**ger all to do with the airlines. It was a CAA decision.
You are correct, its not the airline that makes the overall decision it's NATS that tells them.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casita
I'm still fuming about them cancelling U.K. to Granada flights, especially when they are still flying to 2 other destinations from Granada,
I'm certainly no fan of Ryanair, but they certainly have the right to close any route that is losing them money, they are not a charity set up for expats. If the route was profitable, they'd still be running it, and whilst it will be an inconvenience for many, Uncle Mick has never ever worried about the feelings of anyone. If I were a shareholder, I'd be all in favour of him closing any routes that did not make a profit, whoever unpopular it was.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:23 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm certainly no fan of Ryanair, but they certainly have the right to close any route that is losing them money, they are not a charity set up for expats. If the route was profitable, they'd still be running it, and whilst it will be an inconvenience for many, Uncle Mick has never ever worried about the feelings of anyone. If I were a shareholder, I'd be all in favour of him closing any routes that did not make a profit, whoever unpopular it was.
Of course non-profitable routes should be closed - but not 3 days after taking money to fly that route. You can't tell me that he woke up one morning and said 'let's cancel all the Granada flights'. These things take planning and a lot longer than 3 days is necessary. It's not just ex-pats that used this route - the majority of people on the many flights used by my family were Spanish. They tell me that the 'planes were mostly full, the only exception being the May 2nd flight.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
Of course non-profitable routes should be closed - but not 3 days after taking money to fly that route. You can't tell me that he woke up one morning and said 'let's cancel all the Granada flights'. These things take planning and a lot longer than 3 days is necessary.
That particular closure was talked about here 3 months ago (link). I think it's fair to assume that the reason they took your booking was down to cock-up, not conspiracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.