British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ryanair Summer Flights, when to give up hope? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ryanair-summer-flights-when-give-up-hope-741314/)

Mr Impish Dec 7th 2011 11:10 pm

Ryanair Summer Flights, when to give up hope?

Hello!

I had a little search about for this and couldn't find the info when searching for Bristol so thought I'd give this a try.

Last summer Ryanair flew twice a week Bristol to Sevilla. I cant see any prices for flights next summer but it still comes up as searchable on the website.
So, I'm hoping they are going to be reintroduced in the spring. I doubt they will both to say they aren't flying the route anymore they will just not make any dates available.
So my question would be.

When should I give up hope that they will fly the route anymore?
Surely if they intend to it would be sensible (did i use Ryanair and sensible in the same sentence?) to release some seats now?
Was just a thought, i didn't know if regular low cost flight watchers new something like "if they don't release any seats by the end of the year, they wont be flying it"

Thanks

pwwm Dec 7th 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Ryanair Summer Flights, when to give up hope?

They are starting new roite from East Midlands to Almería in March and dates are up, apparently, I dont use them, just been told dates are there.
so would have thought dates would be available asap if at all. Good luck

Domino Dec 8th 2011 1:02 am

Ryanair have had to report a downturn in business for this year, they have cut back on winter routes and seem to remember they have laid up 80 planes for the winter. However, they appear to be buying new planes.
Annoyed now, it was a centre pages Business report in the Times earlier this week and I threw it out !

amideislas Dec 8th 2011 2:35 am

Just don't fly RyanAir.

Problem solved.

fionamw Dec 8th 2011 3:24 am

They used to do daily BRS-Malaga, now it's 3 a week. :thumbdown:

Chiclanagir Dec 8th 2011 4:00 am

Seville to Bristol is the route I use. They usually stop it for the winter and start again end of March. Hope so anyway.

dunmovin Dec 11th 2011 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9777535)
Just don't fly RyanAir.

Problem solved.

don't agree.... it's a bus with service with wings.... play within his rules, you get a good price. As ryanair keeps their advertised prices low,the other budget carriers have to follow.

Mitzyboy Dec 11th 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by dunmovin (Post 9782993)
don't agree.... it's a bus with service with wings.... play within his rules, you get a good price. As ryanair keeps their advertised prices low,the other budget carriers have to follow.

I agree. Nine times out of ten complaints are because people haven't stuck to Ryanair rules. Simple, if you don't like their rules then fly with someone else, but if you break them then accept the consequences.

amideislas Dec 11th 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by dunmovin (Post 9782993)

I'd agree that as long as you conform to the "rules" you can fly cheap on RyanAir. The price you pay is the inconvenience of having to make sure you aren't a gram overweight, not a millimeter oversize, and all your documentation is in more-perfect-order than any other airline.

If you don't want the inconvenience or risk of getting penalised or bumped from the flight, then don't fly them. Otherwise, other airlines offer better services at about the same total price at the end of the day.

But the comparison to a "bus" is not really a good analogy;

On a bus, the rules are made for safety and comfort of other passengers, and are really just common sense rules.

RyanAir's "rules" are designed to encourage you to violate them so that they can charge you penalties or extras. It's how they can offer flights for €40 - the profit is in the extras and penalties.

EsuriJohn Dec 11th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783300)
I'd agree that as long as you conform to the "rules" you can fly cheap on RyanAir. The price you pay is the inconvenience of having to make sure you aren't a gram overweight, not a millimeter oversize, and all your documentation is in more-perfect-order than any other airline.

If you don't want the inconvenience or risk of getting penalised or bumped from the flight, then don't fly them. Otherwise, other airlines offer better services at about the same total price at the end of the day.

But the comparison to a "bus" is not really a good analogy;

On a bus, the rules are made for safety and comfort of other passengers, and are really just common sense rules.

RyanAir's "rules" are designed to encourage you to violate them so that they can charge you penalties or extras. It's how they can offer flights for €40 - the profit is in the extras and penalties.

It is really simple to conform. We have a blue & a pink case which are well under Rair size and a set of bathroom scales. IF we are booked on Rair we take those and check weigh them in the bathroom before we leave home. Any other airline we use the pink and the brown case (absolute max size for easyjet) and if it is easyjet as long as you can lift it weight does not matter.

I would always print my boarding card whoever I was flying with so that's no hardship. I hate check in queues so the faster I'm at the boarding gate the better.

Perfection on the paperwork is required by all airlines just some may be more forgiving on mistakes cost us £200 to correct a mistake with wifes name I made on an easyjet flight Luton/Edinburgh in August so check and check again.

As to buses Malaga airport buses do not allow any hand luggage at all how daft is that?

johnnyone Dec 11th 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783300)

I have no real choice but to fly Ryanair. However they do what they say 'on the tin' at very cheap prices.
They are also as reliable as any other airline I have ever flown with.
I am flying to Valencia in Jan for £45 all up return (I use a Ryanair cash card to pay)and if I had chosen Alicante it was £35 but takes 15 mins longer to fly and a further 15 mins in the car so not worth the saving.
If you don't need the extras and have enough sense not to incur any penalties I really don't see the problem with Ryanair.
Having said all of that I would prefer to pay more for a traditional 'service' but it's not possible to Valencia without a stopover.
My main gripe with the cheaper carriers is that they have forced the traditional airlines away from many routes leaving no choice for those of us who would willingly pay more for a traditional service.
My ideal would be London City to Valencia, but not much chance of that!

amideislas Dec 11th 2011 9:11 pm

I don't know about Valencia, but here's just one example -

Here in Mallorca, RyanAir routinely refuses boarding to British (and Canadian and American) citizens who do not have a SPANISH stamp in their passport that is less than 90 days old. No other stamp but a SPANISH one is accepted - it is entirely without refund - simply because it's a violation of an exclusively RyanAir "rule".

British citizens arriving from the UK are not always stamped on arrival here - often, but not always. Flights arriving from continental Europe do not have any passport control at all. So, if you arrived here from Frankfurt, you would never have a Spanish stamp in your passport, regardless of your nationality.

There is no law which requires RyanAir to do this. It is solely a RyanAir policy. RyanAir is the ONLY airline who does these checks for Spanish passport stamp, it only applies to British and Non-EU citizens, and seems to be inconsistently enforced - apparently enforced only when the flight is overbooked. The usual solution is to go to the EasyJet counter and buy a last-minute EasyJet ticket.

The airport police here despise RyanAir for this, because they have to deal with the angry passengers, but are powerless to do anything about it.

RyanAir benefits because they can fill already paid seats with another paying passenger. In high season, the flights are always full/overbooked, so they have no trouble getting double-pay for the vacated seats from this policy.

cricketman Dec 11th 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783427)
RyanAir benefits because they can fill already paid seats with another paying passenger. In high season, the flights are always full/overbooked, so they have no trouble getting double-pay for the vacated seats from this policy.

Ryanair are scum of the earth

Another little policy of there's is if you need a Drs note e.g. because you are pregnant, it must be in English, even if it is a flight between Malaga and Barcelona :rofl:

So you must get a Drs note from your Spanish Dr and then get it legally translated and stamped.

I simply do not use them unless I have no choice

EsuriJohn Dec 11th 2011 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783427)
I don't know about Valencia, but here's just one example -

Here in Mallorca, RyanAir routinely refuses boarding to British (and Canadian and American) citizens who do not have a SPANISH stamp in their passport that is less than 90 days old. No other stamp but a SPANISH one is accepted - it is entirely without refund - simply because it's a violation of an exclusively RyanAir "rule".

British citizens arriving from the UK are not always stamped on arrival here - often, but not always. Flights arriving from continental Europe do not have any passport control at all. So, if you arrived here from Frankfurt, you would never have a Spanish stamp in your passport, regardless of your nationality.

There is no law which requires RyanAir to do this. It is solely a RyanAir policy. RyanAir is the ONLY airline who does these checks for Spanish passport stamp, it only applies to British and Non-EU citizens, and seems to be inconsistently enforced - apparently enforced only when the flight is overbooked. The usual solution is to go to the EasyJet counter and buy a last-minute EasyJet ticket.

The airport police here despise RyanAir for this, because they have to deal with the angry passengers, but are powerless to do anything about it.

For British passport holders that must be outside the law. We may not be part of Schengan but we conform in all respects to the border and advance info rule. I think a complaint to the local consul and British Ambassador in Madrid should sort that one. More than one would be useful

cricketman Dec 11th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9783477)
For British passport holders that must be outside the law. We may not be part of Schengan but we conform in all respects to the border and advance info rule. I think a complaint to the local consul and British Ambassador in Madrid should sort that one. More than one would be useful

Well its also illegal for ask for documentation in English when in Spain. It has to be offered in the 4 official languages of Spain

But it seems like Ryanair are a law to themselves

Mitzyboy Dec 12th 2011 12:03 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 9783462)
Ryanair are scum of the earth

I'm sorry thats an absolutely ridiculous statement!

Firstly, they are a (very) low priced airline, in fact more often than not THE cheapest. Therefore they hold down the prices of other airlines because those airlines know they have to compete.

Secondly (and only my experiences) having flown with them between here and the UK for the last 5 years or so, I have never had a serious problem with them. I have never seen anyone having a serious problem with them. Yes, I have seen people with normal sized suitcases trying to get on the plane and they are stopped ... surprise, surprise!

If you look in the cabin with people trying to stuff oversized cases in the overhead lockers on, for instance, Monarch ... it gives you an idea of why the rules are there

Thirdly, the rules are well set out. The cabin baggage dims and weight restrictions are all over the place. On the site. On the boarding card. If people dont read them, then whose fault is that :)

So, as peope have said, they are OK if you keep to their rules. If you dont want to keep to their rules then dont bloody use them, but dont moan about being caught and paying the price if you do :lol:

whitelinen Dec 12th 2011 12:15 am

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 9783399)
I am flying to Valencia in Jan for £45 all up return
Having said all of that I would prefer to pay more for a traditional 'service' but it's not possible to Valencia without a stopover.My ideal would be London City to Valencia, but not much chance of that!

Lucky you:sneaky: most people dont live in or around London and cant get to Valencia in the winter months since Ryanair saw off all the competition or whatever.

I have suffered many problems when flying from Valencia with Ryanair including a charade when one by one of the passengers was sent away from the boarding desk later only to find there was no plane but the cheats never told anyone that.

As for them being the cheapest, they are only cheap if you book way in advance and not many people are lucky enough to be able to do that.

Mitzyboy Dec 12th 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9783646)
As for them being the cheapest, they are only cheap if you book way in advance and not many people are lucky enough to be able to do that.

Heh heh .... I've booked a week in advance and still got decent prices
I thought it was all to do with the bookings on the plane

bxpuser24710519 Dec 12th 2011 12:41 am

Latest flights with Ryanair were both late reason being everybody now wants to travel with hand luggage only to avoid the cost of check in luggage ( my trip to Uk and back cost 50 euros for luggage alone with Ryanair and then costs for Easyjet also !)

This is causing there to be no room for all the hand luggage overhead then people have to take put laptops and anything they want during flight then their bag is tag and put in the hold. A late arriving group of British women were furious and one threw her bag at the stewardess and swore at her.

My checked in luggage was weighed before each flight in the airport and came under the limit BUT on Ryanair scales all just at the limit !

fionamw Dec 12th 2011 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9783629)

Firstly, they are a (very) low priced airline, in fact more often than not THE cheapest. Therefore they hold down the prices of other airlines because those airlines know they have to compete.

Secondly (and only my experiences) having flown with them between here and the UK for the last 5 years or so, I have never had a serious problem with them. I have never seen anyone having a serious problem with them. Yes, I have seen people with normal sized suitcases trying to get on the plane and they are stopped ... surprise, surprise!

If you look in the cabin with people trying to stuff oversized cases in the overhead lockers on, for instance, Monarch ... it gives you an idea of why the rules are there

Thirdly, the rules are well set out. The cabin baggage dims and weight restrictions are all over the place. On the site. On the boarding card. If people dont read them, then whose fault is that :)

So, as peope have said, they are OK if you keep to their rules. If you dont want to keep to their rules then dont bloody use them, but dont moan about being caught and paying the price if you do :lol:

I think Mitz you're obviously right that the onus is on us to conform to baggage, check in, boarding pass, etc, rules and not moan if WE get it wrong. There are, though, other issues with Ryanair which can't help but have an effect on people's view of them as an airline.
eg someone's observation about Mallorca/Spain stamp.
eg Mr o'L's proposed pay-toilet service.
eg - and this one gets me, and I heard it from a currently flying airline pilot from a carrier NOT in direct competition with RYR - their tendency to arrive over an airport, declare they're short on fuel so can't circle and wait for their slot, get allowed early landing, hence improving their flight time stats.
eg - shall I go on? Mr RYR's business acumen make much use of ....... how to put it..... being a bit fly (sorry:p) to say the least.

JLFS Dec 12th 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9783629)

So, as people have said, they are OK if you keep to their rules. If you dont want to keep to their rules then dont bloody use them, but dont moan about being caught and paying the price if you do :lol:

I am with you, and calling them the scum of the earth really does devalue the phrase when we are talking about the real scum of the earth, like paedos and such.

Stick to the rules and it will be fine 99 percent of the time. of course and overbooking could happen to anyone, and it is hard cheese is you are the unlucky one.

But Ryanair has made others reduce prices so it cannot be a bad thing.

johnnyone Dec 12th 2011 3:36 am

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9783646)
Lucky you:sneaky: most people dont live in or around London and cant get to Valencia in the winter months since Ryanair saw off all the competition or whatever.

Move.:)

Domino Dec 12th 2011 3:53 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9783688)
Latest flights with Ryanair were both late reason being everybody now wants to travel with hand luggage only to avoid the cost of check in luggage ( my trip to Uk and back cost 50 euros for luggage alone with Ryanair and then costs for Easyjet also !)

This is causing there to be no room for all the hand luggage overhead then people have to take put laptops and anything they want during flight then their bag is tag and put in the hold. A late arriving group of British women were furious and one threw her bag at the stewardess and swore at her.

My checked in luggage was weighed before each flight in the airport and came under the limit BUT on Ryanair scales all just at the limit !

that has been a problem for the past several months now. I have had my bag put in the hold, the only thing that worries me is there is no ident tag on it nor one for me to use for claiming

another time they put it under the "spare seats" at the front.

I had a bag that I knew from my own weighing was over, but their scales said just on the max, so got it through.

bxpuser24710519 Dec 12th 2011 4:02 am

Yes I realise it has been happening for months now but I have just done the flights. On both journies any bags going in the hold where tagged manually by the stewardess.

Ah the sets in rows 3/4 that are kept empty to balance the plane during take off and landing was the reason given on one flight I was on. Doubt anyone believed it though.

I would be unhappy if I was travelling without checked in luggage and had to then go the carousel to collect luggage :frown:

Domino Dec 12th 2011 4:21 am

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench (Post 9784101)
Yes I realise it has been happening for months now but I have just done the flights. On both journies any bags going in the hold where tagged manually by the stewardess.

Ah the sets in rows 3/4 that are kept empty to balance the plane during take off and landing was the reason given on one flight I was on. Doubt anyone believed it though.

I would be unhappy if I was travelling without checked in luggage and had to then go the carousel to collect luggage :frown:

as they are now doing booked seating then that is the area you can choose, although they carried 4 pilots on one journey

recently got on to find no room up top so was sent to the hold and I didnt get a docket for it, then had to wait.

think some of the bags they let on were oversized - quite long ones

bxpuser24710519 Dec 12th 2011 4:38 am

As far as I was aware reserving seats on all routes only started on the 10th Jan. I can see it hand luggage space being a major issue now. One which O'Leary will no doubt find a way of making more money out of. I am glad I seldom fly now. No way were there any oversized on the flights I just did ... every bag was checked while waiting to board at both ends Sevilla and Stansted.

anonimouse Dec 12th 2011 5:31 am

It's a joke, it was on the news Saturday that R A are putting all the prices up so they can keep the fares low:rofl:

It's going to be £60 if you don't have a boarding card, and they said all hold baggage is going up costing a family of 4 up to £3 or £400, to deter passengers from taking it so they can get a faster turn around and again keep fares down,:rofl: so the fares may be the cheapest but the actual cost may be the worst, they are a joke, must think we are all stupid.

I can't find the link to this news but will take another look and post it if I find it.

EsuriJohn Dec 12th 2011 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9784157)
as they are now doing booked seating then that is the area you can choose, although they carried 4 pilots on one journey

recently got on to find no room up top so was sent to the hold and I didnt get a docket for it, then had to wait.

think some of the bags they let on were oversized - quite long ones

I think they are called Pilot cases yes they do exist.

Chiclanagir Dec 12th 2011 6:05 am

Back to the original poster. I too cannot find the flights from Seville to Bristol. I was sure they were back by now for end of March flights.

SpanishAngel Dec 12th 2011 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9784287)
It's a joke, it was on the news Saturday that R A are putting all the prices up so they can keep the fares low:rofl:

It's going to be £60 if you don't have a boarding card, and they said all hold baggage is going up costing a family of 4 up to £3 or £400, to deter passengers from taking it so they can get a faster turn around and again keep fares down,:rofl: so the fares may be the cheapest but the actual cost may be the worst, they are a joke, must think we are all stupid.

I can't find the link to this news but will take another look and post it if I find it.

Try this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...g-6275045.html

Mitzyboy Dec 13th 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9784287)

I thought that was in the three months of this summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...e-charges.html

newpower Dec 13th 2011 1:09 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 9783724)
I think Mitz you're obviously right that the onus is on us to conform to baggage, check in, boarding pass, etc, rules and not moan if WE get it wrong. There are, though, other issues with Ryanair which can't help but have an effect on people's view of them as an airline.
eg someone's observation about Mallorca/Spain stamp.
eg Mr o'L's proposed pay-toilet service.
eg - and this one gets me, and I heard it from a currently flying airline pilot from a carrier NOT in direct competition with RYR - their tendency to arrive over an airport, declare they're short on fuel so can't circle and wait for their slot, get allowed early landing, hence improving their flight time stats.
eg - shall I go on? Mr RYR's business acumen make much use of ....... how to put it..... being a bit fly (sorry:p) to say the least.

Please go on , because so far all you have told us is about what is your fault(spain stamp) something that is not true (paying for toilets) and something that you dont know is true (arriving at airports).

So yes please continue and lets see what the rest is you have.

jimenato Dec 13th 2011 2:17 am

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9785789)

The last paragraph of that Independent article is interesting...

Ryanair claims the lowest average air fares in Europe: last year a typical flight cost £35. But in a snapshot of fares between London and Barcelona's main airport, departing on the first Saturday in August, Ryanair turned out more expensive than both its nearest rival, easyJet, and British Airways – even before baggage and other fees were added.

jackytoo Dec 13th 2011 2:23 am

I have found a few times that BA is cheaper than Easyjet. I think EJ and RA have some cheap lead in seats for advertising and then hike up the prices later.

anonimouse Dec 13th 2011 6:29 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9785985)
I have found a few times that BA is cheaper than Easyjet. I think EJ and RA have some cheap lead in seats for advertising and then hike up the prices later.

Exactly..................Suckers:rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Dec 14th 2011 10:23 am

"Spare a thought for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'.......

Arriving in a hotel in Dublin , he went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland "

"That is re mark able value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. - You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please"

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4.00 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be 2 euro please." O'Leary's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number.

Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 cent per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro".

fionamw Dec 15th 2011 11:29 pm

Hope this wasn't someone famous's copyright:fingerscrossed:..... just pinched to re-post! Brilliant!:lol:

jdr Dec 16th 2011 4:37 am

It`s called supply and demand, we have seen the seat price go up 15 €`s in a few minutes and this was even after clearing the computers cache.
Never return to a previous booking without doing that or the price auto rises.

johnnyone Dec 16th 2011 6:23 pm

I don't think that is Ryanairs pricing model.

Its initial prices are not usually its lowest, so you can get some cheap flights quite close to your leaving date. I do travel outside of school holidays.
My latest flight was sold at a higher price a week before I purchased. They must use a computer programme that works on demand.

fionamw Dec 18th 2011 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9792755)
It`s called supply and demand, we have seen the seat price go up 15 €`s in a few minutes and this was even after clearing the computers cache.
Never return to a previous booking without doing that or the price auto rises.

Er, this sounds like a good tip but I don't actualy understand it! Please explain in words of one syllable? !!