British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ryanair Summer Flights, when to give up hope? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ryanair-summer-flights-when-give-up-hope-741314/)

Mr Impish Dec 8th 2011 11:10 am

Ryanair Summer Flights, when to give up hope?

Hello!

I had a little search about for this and couldn't find the info when searching for Bristol so thought I'd give this a try.

Last summer Ryanair flew twice a week Bristol to Sevilla. I cant see any prices for flights next summer but it still comes up as searchable on the website.
So, I'm hoping they are going to be reintroduced in the spring. I doubt they will both to say they aren't flying the route anymore they will just not make any dates available.
So my question would be.

When should I give up hope that they will fly the route anymore?
Surely if they intend to it would be sensible (did i use Ryanair and sensible in the same sentence?) to release some seats now?
Was just a thought, i didn't know if regular low cost flight watchers new something like "if they don't release any seats by the end of the year, they wont be flying it"

Thanks

pwwm Dec 8th 2011 11:23 am

Re: Ryanair Summer Flights, when to give up hope?

They are starting new roite from East Midlands to Almería in March and dates are up, apparently, I dont use them, just been told dates are there.
so would have thought dates would be available asap if at all. Good luck

Domino Dec 8th 2011 1:02 pm

Ryanair have had to report a downturn in business for this year, they have cut back on winter routes and seem to remember they have laid up 80 planes for the winter. However, they appear to be buying new planes.
Annoyed now, it was a centre pages Business report in the Times earlier this week and I threw it out !

amideislas Dec 8th 2011 2:35 pm

Just don't fly RyanAir.

Problem solved.

fionamw Dec 8th 2011 3:24 pm

They used to do daily BRS-Malaga, now it's 3 a week. :thumbdown:

Chiclanagir Dec 8th 2011 4:00 pm

Seville to Bristol is the route I use. They usually stop it for the winter and start again end of March. Hope so anyway.

dunmovin Dec 12th 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9777535)
Just don't fly RyanAir.

Problem solved.

don't agree.... it's a bus with service with wings.... play within his rules, you get a good price. As ryanair keeps their advertised prices low,the other budget carriers have to follow.

Mitzyboy Dec 12th 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by dunmovin (Post 9782993)
don't agree.... it's a bus with service with wings.... play within his rules, you get a good price. As ryanair keeps their advertised prices low,the other budget carriers have to follow.

I agree. Nine times out of ten complaints are because people haven't stuck to Ryanair rules. Simple, if you don't like their rules then fly with someone else, but if you break them then accept the consequences.

amideislas Dec 12th 2011 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dunmovin (Post 9782993)

I'd agree that as long as you conform to the "rules" you can fly cheap on RyanAir. The price you pay is the inconvenience of having to make sure you aren't a gram overweight, not a millimeter oversize, and all your documentation is in more-perfect-order than any other airline.

If you don't want the inconvenience or risk of getting penalised or bumped from the flight, then don't fly them. Otherwise, other airlines offer better services at about the same total price at the end of the day.

But the comparison to a "bus" is not really a good analogy;

On a bus, the rules are made for safety and comfort of other passengers, and are really just common sense rules.

RyanAir's "rules" are designed to encourage you to violate them so that they can charge you penalties or extras. It's how they can offer flights for €40 - the profit is in the extras and penalties.

EsuriJohn Dec 12th 2011 8:47 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783300)
I'd agree that as long as you conform to the "rules" you can fly cheap on RyanAir. The price you pay is the inconvenience of having to make sure you aren't a gram overweight, not a millimeter oversize, and all your documentation is in more-perfect-order than any other airline.

If you don't want the inconvenience or risk of getting penalised or bumped from the flight, then don't fly them. Otherwise, other airlines offer better services at about the same total price at the end of the day.

But the comparison to a "bus" is not really a good analogy;

On a bus, the rules are made for safety and comfort of other passengers, and are really just common sense rules.

RyanAir's "rules" are designed to encourage you to violate them so that they can charge you penalties or extras. It's how they can offer flights for €40 - the profit is in the extras and penalties.

It is really simple to conform. We have a blue & a pink case which are well under Rair size and a set of bathroom scales. IF we are booked on Rair we take those and check weigh them in the bathroom before we leave home. Any other airline we use the pink and the brown case (absolute max size for easyjet) and if it is easyjet as long as you can lift it weight does not matter.

I would always print my boarding card whoever I was flying with so that's no hardship. I hate check in queues so the faster I'm at the boarding gate the better.

Perfection on the paperwork is required by all airlines just some may be more forgiving on mistakes cost us £200 to correct a mistake with wifes name I made on an easyjet flight Luton/Edinburgh in August so check and check again.

As to buses Malaga airport buses do not allow any hand luggage at all how daft is that?

johnnyone Dec 12th 2011 8:50 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783300)

I have no real choice but to fly Ryanair. However they do what they say 'on the tin' at very cheap prices.
They are also as reliable as any other airline I have ever flown with.
I am flying to Valencia in Jan for £45 all up return (I use a Ryanair cash card to pay)and if I had chosen Alicante it was £35 but takes 15 mins longer to fly and a further 15 mins in the car so not worth the saving.
If you don't need the extras and have enough sense not to incur any penalties I really don't see the problem with Ryanair.
Having said all of that I would prefer to pay more for a traditional 'service' but it's not possible to Valencia without a stopover.
My main gripe with the cheaper carriers is that they have forced the traditional airlines away from many routes leaving no choice for those of us who would willingly pay more for a traditional service.
My ideal would be London City to Valencia, but not much chance of that!

amideislas Dec 12th 2011 9:11 am

I don't know about Valencia, but here's just one example -

Here in Mallorca, RyanAir routinely refuses boarding to British (and Canadian and American) citizens who do not have a SPANISH stamp in their passport that is less than 90 days old. No other stamp but a SPANISH one is accepted - it is entirely without refund - simply because it's a violation of an exclusively RyanAir "rule".

British citizens arriving from the UK are not always stamped on arrival here - often, but not always. Flights arriving from continental Europe do not have any passport control at all. So, if you arrived here from Frankfurt, you would never have a Spanish stamp in your passport, regardless of your nationality.

There is no law which requires RyanAir to do this. It is solely a RyanAir policy. RyanAir is the ONLY airline who does these checks for Spanish passport stamp, it only applies to British and Non-EU citizens, and seems to be inconsistently enforced - apparently enforced only when the flight is overbooked. The usual solution is to go to the EasyJet counter and buy a last-minute EasyJet ticket.

The airport police here despise RyanAir for this, because they have to deal with the angry passengers, but are powerless to do anything about it.

RyanAir benefits because they can fill already paid seats with another paying passenger. In high season, the flights are always full/overbooked, so they have no trouble getting double-pay for the vacated seats from this policy.

cricketman Dec 12th 2011 9:30 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783427)
RyanAir benefits because they can fill already paid seats with another paying passenger. In high season, the flights are always full/overbooked, so they have no trouble getting double-pay for the vacated seats from this policy.

Ryanair are scum of the earth

Another little policy of there's is if you need a Drs note e.g. because you are pregnant, it must be in English, even if it is a flight between Malaga and Barcelona :rofl:

So you must get a Drs note from your Spanish Dr and then get it legally translated and stamped.

I simply do not use them unless I have no choice

EsuriJohn Dec 12th 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 9783427)
I don't know about Valencia, but here's just one example -

Here in Mallorca, RyanAir routinely refuses boarding to British (and Canadian and American) citizens who do not have a SPANISH stamp in their passport that is less than 90 days old. No other stamp but a SPANISH one is accepted - it is entirely without refund - simply because it's a violation of an exclusively RyanAir "rule".

British citizens arriving from the UK are not always stamped on arrival here - often, but not always. Flights arriving from continental Europe do not have any passport control at all. So, if you arrived here from Frankfurt, you would never have a Spanish stamp in your passport, regardless of your nationality.

There is no law which requires RyanAir to do this. It is solely a RyanAir policy. RyanAir is the ONLY airline who does these checks for Spanish passport stamp, it only applies to British and Non-EU citizens, and seems to be inconsistently enforced - apparently enforced only when the flight is overbooked. The usual solution is to go to the EasyJet counter and buy a last-minute EasyJet ticket.

The airport police here despise RyanAir for this, because they have to deal with the angry passengers, but are powerless to do anything about it.

For British passport holders that must be outside the law. We may not be part of Schengan but we conform in all respects to the border and advance info rule. I think a complaint to the local consul and British Ambassador in Madrid should sort that one. More than one would be useful

cricketman Dec 12th 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9783477)
For British passport holders that must be outside the law. We may not be part of Schengan but we conform in all respects to the border and advance info rule. I think a complaint to the local consul and British Ambassador in Madrid should sort that one. More than one would be useful

Well its also illegal for ask for documentation in English when in Spain. It has to be offered in the 4 official languages of Spain

But it seems like Ryanair are a law to themselves